• April 26, 2024, 06:04:56 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: inadequate front fender on my 2013 S  (Read 1025 times)

quixotic

• View Profile
inadequate front fender on my 2013 S
« on: June 12, 2016, 08:43:59 AM »

Went through a bit of rain and mud today, and the wheel threw up a lot of crud on top of the battery and on to the wiring just behind the steering stem.  The little charging window also fogged up enough that I had to dry it with a hair dryer when I got home. 

Has anyone dealt with this already?  (I did a search, but only came up with the thread that mentions "fenda extenda"...which apparently isn't made for Zero's anyways).
2013 Zero S. Isle of Man Classic TT is on the bucket list.

quixotic

• View Profile
Re: inadequate front fender on my 2013 S
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 08:09:02 AM »

I bought a fenda extenda for a CBR 300, which is the only bike they cater to which has the same diameter and width of front wheel as the 2013 Zero S.  However even it was not a good fit.  The transverse (relative to the longitudinal axis of the bike) radius of the fenda extenda is significantly larger than that of the Zero's fender.  So if I tried to force them together with rivets, I think I might break the Zero's fender.

My question is this: if I bought a heat gun, could I theoretically heat the plastic fenda extenda into a more conforming shape?  According to their website, it's made out of a mix of polystyrene and polyethylene. 

Thanks in advance.

pres68y

• 2013 MX -setup for only Flat Track.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 06:40:27 PM »

"My question is this: if I bought a heat gun, could I theoretically heat the plastic fenda extenda into a more conforming shape?  According to their website, it's made out of a mix of polystyrene and polyethylene."
Yes, that's a good idea. A less dangerous heater might be a hair dryer (a regular heat gun can go to 800-1000f) The PS/PE mix is very soft @200-300f. Whatever gun you chose go slow.
Consider making a form of the size/shape you want the finished extender to be like since that plastic can get pretty floppy when it is hot.
Good luck!

quixotic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 02:43:18 AM »

Well, that seems to have worked.  I did have to shave a bit of the sides off though, since the x-section of the fenda extenda wasn't perfectly semi-circular (otherwise it would have rubbed against the side of the wheel).  The nylon nuts and bolts extend just an 1/8" or so on the inside, so there should be no issue with potential tire rubbing. 

quixotic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 08:23:39 AM »

A bit of clatter resulted, so I had to add fender stays (1/8" brass rod from Home Depot).

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 09:34:03 AM »

Nice. Fenda Extenda is really cool as long as they provide a bike fitment. I hope to test a rear mudguard extension (doesn't extend very much but I could mold more from it maybe).
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Pages: [1]