• April 25, 2024, 10:36:20 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Zero top rack and GIVI case install  (Read 4558 times)

turbojet

• View Profile
Zero top rack and GIVI case install
« on: June 04, 2016, 12:29:58 AM »

Got my top rack for my 2016 DSR.  There were no instructions with it but install was simple.  Remove the seat (unscrew the torx bolts on either side, not the allen head bolts).  Pull the seat off and fit the frack over the bike frame (remember to install the rubber number where the rack rests on the rear fender).  Two small allen head bolts go through the frame holes then replace the seat and screw the torx bolts back in through the rear rack frame (see pix).  To install any GIVI box get the universal monokey (part E251) top case plate and mount it as shown in the photo.  It uses 4 bolts with clamps that will fit any rack almost.  I went with the bigger V46 top case as I have used this on a variety of bikes and for me gives the best size/function ratio.  Cheers! ;D

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Zero top rack and GIVI case install
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 01:53:33 AM »

Nice writeup and photos! This took me about 15 minutes when I've done it, mostly to position the Givi plate.

One note I want to tag here: once you have a top case, when you need to remove the seat bolts, it's a good idea to either remove the case or empty it of anything heavy (like an Elcon charger!) or you might wind up causing a little sag in the bars, especially if you go ride it around without the bolts.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 12:06:57 PM »

Does Givi list the internal dimensions or the external.

I'm trying to get a smaller Monolock that will fit a laptop bag that is 18-19 inches by 11-12 inches deep.

Yes, its a big CAD laptop.

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 05:44:17 PM »

Thanks for the photos and write-up! I got the rack on order, but have not decided on a case yet. Can you snap and post a photo from the rear too, from some distance, not very up-close to show the size of the box mounted? I wonder how big of a box to get - yup, bigger is more useful, but I don't want something huge either.

How does it ride with the box? Can you feel it?
'15 Zero SR

David S

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 07:29:40 PM »

I just ordered this which i should get sometime next week, the dealer told me if they installed it i would be billed for 2 hours for 190$. Im assuming that is a rip off and I can do it myself?

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 08:15:14 PM »

How hard can it be to put 8 bolts? In the Zero owners manual you can see the location and torque values for the 2 bolts that hold the seat in place. They need to be removed and reinstalled to hold the rack. Plus two more bolts near them. Then 4 more to hold the plate to the rack. Depending on which Givi (or other brand) box you get, the plate may or may not be included. Can you do  it yourself? Only you can tell. Is it worth $190 at the dealer to install it for me? Definitely not! I don't think it should take the dealer more than 15 minutes to install. If $190 is the cost including the rack and installation, then it's almost reasonable. If it is just installation, then a rip-off in my opinion.
'15 Zero SR

turbojet

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 10:05:56 PM »

Super easy to install the rack.  Remove the two torx bolts (2 minutes), take the seat off (20 seconds) and fit the rack over the fender and the front mounting holes (these will be under the seat).  Screw the two supplied allen head bolts in (1-2 minutes) then refit the seat (30 seconds) and put the torx bolts in and tighten them down (3 minutes).  The GIVI universal top case mounting plate is also very easy to install and gives you multiple positioning options.

turbojet

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2016, 10:12:12 PM »

I forgot one step.  If you are the average motorcycle mechanic then the rack install will involve drinking 3 beers.  ! to get started, 1 after you take the seat off to ponder the complexity of the machine and its wiring and then 1 when you are done to congratulate yourself on a job well done.  Depending on your speed then this will add 1-15 minutes to the install.  The GIVI top case mount is probably a 2 beer job so get a six pack just to be safe. Cheers! 8)

gingerjet

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2016, 10:40:26 PM »

I just ordered this which i should get sometime next week, the dealer told me if they installed it i would be billed for 2 hours for 190$. Im assuming that is a rip off and I can do it myself?

$190 to install a $400 rack is a ripe off.  You may have to buy a couple of tools but if you can handle a screw driver you should be fine.

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2016, 11:13:31 PM »

Rip-off it is, but one might need a little more than a screwdriver - I could not remove the torx bolts with a screwdriver (with a torx bit, of course) as they were too  tight from the factory. Just not enough leverage for me. With a 4" angled torx wrench (included with my soft luggage) it was very easy. It also helps to have a torque wrench to tighten things to spec, but I think by feel is probably OK if one has handled enough bolts of similar size...

$190 to install a $400 rack is a ripe off.  You may have to buy a couple of tools but if you can handle a screw driver you should be fine.
'15 Zero SR

David S

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2016, 02:43:44 AM »

Hah thanks for the responses, before ordering i assumed I would be able to do it on my own, when he told me it would take 2 hours I thought it was probably a rip off but didn't know if it actually was difficult.

gingerjet

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2016, 03:23:59 AM »

Rip-off it is, but one might need a little more than a screwdriver - I could not remove the torx bolts with a screwdriver (with a torx bit, of course) as they were too  tight from the factory. Just not enough leverage for me. With a 4" angled torx wrench (included with my soft luggage) it was very easy. It also helps to have a torque wrench to tighten things to spec, but I think by feel is probably OK if one has handled enough bolts of similar size...

Nothing in my response said you just need a screwdriver.  But if you can handle one you can deal with simple adjustments or add ons to the bike.  In the future - actually read what you are responding too and people won't call you out as an arrogant ass.    For the record adding a top box or a wind screen can be done with a set of tools that is less than $20. 

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2016, 04:23:00 AM »

You must be a cyclist ;)

In the future - actually read what you are responding too and people won't call you out as an arrogant ass.
'15 Zero SR

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2016, 08:34:31 AM »

The top rack is pretty easy to install including the adapter plate for monokey boxes.  I really like my 46L box.

Subscribe to Benswing on YouTube to follow my summer journeys.
Like Ben Rich - Electric Biker on Facebook.

First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2016, 08:04:37 AM »

My dealership installed the rack for me (no charge, they had the seat off already for some other repairs, plus I had not asked for it to be installed as I was planning to do it myself, so he dropped the charge - sorry, did not ask what the charge would have been if I had paid it). He told me they had to drill under the seat to put it. I wonder if on the '15 SR the holes are not there for the two allen head bolts like on your '16 DSR? I doubt it, since the frames are the same. Probably the dealership is mistaken (or trying to justify the attempted charge) and indeed there was no drilling needed at all?

Super easy to install the rack.  Remove the two torx bolts (2 minutes), take the seat off (20 seconds) and fit the rack over the fender and the front mounting holes (these will be under the seat).  Screw the two supplied allen head bolts in (1-2 minutes) then refit the seat (30 seconds) and put the torx bolts in and tighten them down (3 minutes).  The GIVI universal top case mounting plate is also very easy to install and gives you multiple positioning options.
'15 Zero SR
Pages: [1] 2