• April 24, 2024, 07:40:18 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Taz-mobile  (Read 1282 times)

Fivespeed302

• View Profile
Taz-mobile
« on: June 03, 2016, 06:31:51 AM »

We don't go out on the main roads.  Taz loves it and will hop in.
2015 Zero SR
2009 Yamaha R1

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
Re: Taz-mobile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 12:41:42 PM »

That's cool. I was thinking of doing the same but with my kids in the back. It might even be legal on the road, if you keep off the motorway...

Fivespeed302

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 05:43:32 AM »

That's cool. I was thinking of doing the same but with my kids in the back. It might even be legal on the road, if you keep off the motorway...

I learned the hard way not to take corners hard.  It will flip.  Also, it will fling gravel on your kids.  The dog doesn't complain but I bet they will.  I have a cover for rain, and that's what I'd recommend if you're going to pull them.  Really though, I wouldn't risk their lives.  Get an electric bicycle and pull them with that.
2015 Zero SR
2009 Yamaha R1

Fivespeed302

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 05:51:36 PM »

So if you've read this far and still think you want to do this, there's some things that you have to purchase, and there's just no getting around it. 

First, if your trailer is aluminum, stop.  They flex too much, fishtail, and will break.  They are built to be lightweight so you can pull it easier while peddling a bicycle.  Your trailer must be made of steel.  The Zero won't be able to tell the difference, although your legs would if you were peddling.

Second, the steel trailer must have the option for the attachment arm to be on the right hand side of the trailer.  I forgot this detail when buying the second trailer, and had to drill out rivets and swap the bracket and arm from trailer 1 to trailer 2, since the arm that came with trailer 2 wouldn't work without major modifications and there wasn't a bracket at all on the other side.

Third, you will need to grind off the outer flailed lip of the main axle nut on your Zero.  You'll need the extra threads it exposes.  Just square it off so there's no flair.  Then put it back on the axle and torque it back down. 

Fourth, you'll need to widen the hole of the mounting piece that fits over the axle.  Grind it out with a drill and some sort of grinding bit and make it as circular as possible.  Take your time, it took me about a couple of hours with a cordless hand drill.  It'd probably be much faster with a drill press. 

Fifth, go to Fastenal https://www.fastenal.com, and order a M20-1.5 Hexjamnut ZP Part: MJ2760000ZP0000.   The threads will match perfectly.  This goes on the outside of the trailer mounting bracket, and probably won't fit all the way on.  Try to get it at least 2/3 on.  You'll probably want to use blue loctite, although I didn't.

More details later.

2015 Zero SR
2009 Yamaha R1

Fivespeed302

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 06:04:48 PM »

Here's what it'll look like when it's finished.  Sorry about the poor lighting in my garage.
Don't cheap out and put the bracket between the Zero nut and the axle blocks.  You don't want to trust your life to a chunk of Chinesium.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 06:09:33 PM by Fivespeed302 »
2015 Zero SR
2009 Yamaha R1

Fivespeed302

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 06:23:37 PM »

Taz has very sharp front claws.  They aren't long, but he's so front heavy, his claws were poking into the foot area, and his paws were only a couple of inches off the ground.  So I got the idea to reverse the front wheel fork, drilled three holes in the fork, and installed a scrap piece of deck board.  Now he's got solid footing and seems much more comfortable during rides. 
2015 Zero SR
2009 Yamaha R1

Fivespeed302

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 06:39:03 PM »

Here's the tail light blinking.
2015 Zero SR
2009 Yamaha R1

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 12:28:09 PM »

Wow! Thanks fivespeed.

Far too much effort for me. I was thinking of having a bit of fun riding over grass, and not too fast. A piece of rope and a baking tray is probably going to be more fun. They can hang onto the rope and let go if necessary. Not much risk other than some grass stains there, I think.

Thanks again for posting all the details though. Lots of uses; like shopping trips in town, hauling logs, parcels, food, collecting rubbish.

Fivespeed302

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 05:20:09 PM »

Wow! Thanks fivespeed.

Far too much effort for me. I was thinking of having a bit of fun riding over grass, and not too fast. A piece of rope and a baking tray is probably going to be more fun. They can hang onto the rope and let go if necessary. Not much risk other than some grass stains there, I think.

Thanks again for posting all the details though. Lots of uses; like shopping trips in town, hauling logs, parcels, food, collecting rubbish.

I did it in about an hour and a half, maybe two hours (not including wiring in the harness and adding the brake light).  Certainly far less effort than changing a tire.  In your case I wouldn't do it though.  I forgot to mention that the little seat belts that come with the trailer are so pathetic that Taz ripped one out with little effort.  Now I secure him with a chain leash looped around the top support bar.  So pulling children and relying on those shitty seat belts to protect them isn't wise. 
2015 Zero SR
2009 Yamaha R1
Pages: [1]