• April 25, 2024, 07:21:51 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Belt part number  (Read 6508 times)

pacificcricket

• View Profile
Belt part number
« on: May 21, 2016, 09:22:47 PM »

Guys, I can't seem to figure out what are the belt specs on 2014 DS, and as the result can't find a replacement.
All the discussions here seem to deal with troubleshooting questions, but nobody mentions the replacement
belt makes/models :) Any idea ?

My belt started ratcheting after a bit under 16K miles on it, and needs an immediate replacement :(

Thanks!

rayivers

• electric feels so right
    • View Profile
Re: Belt part number
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 11:21:43 PM »

The drive belt for your bike is a Gates GT Carbon, 14mm wide, 8mm pitch, 220 teeth.  I believe it's only available from Zero.

P/N's are 30-03673 ("Belt Drive, 220T, 8mm Pitch, 14mm Wide") and also 30-08084 (same belt w/new Zero logo).

Ray
'14 Zero FX 5.7 (now 2.8, MX), '14 Zero FX 2.8 (street), '19 Alta MXR, '18 Alta MXR, various '74 - '08 ICE dirt bikes

pacificcricket

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 11:32:54 PM »

The drive belt for your bike is a Gates GT Carbon, 14mm wide, 8mm pitch, 220 teeth.  I believe it's only available from Zero.

P/N's are 30-03673 ("Belt Drive, 220T, 8mm Pitch, 14mm Wide") and also 30-08084 (same belt w/new Zero logo).

Ray

Thank you very much!

pacificcricket

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 11:11:56 PM »

I believe it's only available from Zero.

The closest I found so far is this :

http://www.biedlers-belts.com/gates-8mgt-1760-12-belt.html

Gates catalog doesn't seem to have a 14mm version.

pacificcricket

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 12:03:02 AM »

Ended up placing an order with my local dealer. $90 (plus $8 shipping) for a belt. I hope it's made out of gold...

MadwitTY

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 12:37:16 AM »

Ended up placing an order with my local dealer. $90 (plus $8 shipping) for a belt. I hope it's made out of gold...

I almost fainted  :'(
I guess I have been too spoiled with lack of maintenance costs so far.

pacificcricket

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 12:51:49 AM »

I almost fainted  :'(
I guess I have been too spoiled with lack of maintenance costs so far.

I've seen in some other discussions that people were getting them from their dealers  $70 or so. That's what I don't like about Zero - if I need
a replacement part, I don't even know what the MSRP on it is (other than few accessories Zero is advertising on their website). So in this case I don't
know if the price went up, or if my dealer is putting a markup on them.

rayivers

• electric feels so right
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 01:18:09 AM »

I ordered two of these belts on 7/10/14, for $79.99 each.

Here's an item I've never seen on any of our wish lists here: an optional 16mm-wide belt / pulley setup, gearing TBD (or better yet, upgrade the entire line to 16mm at incremental cost).  Gates can surely do it, but they have a minimum order of 100 sets, I believe.

Ray
'14 Zero FX 5.7 (now 2.8, MX), '14 Zero FX 2.8 (street), '19 Alta MXR, '18 Alta MXR, various '74 - '08 ICE dirt bikes

pacificcricket

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 01:27:28 AM »

I ordered two of these belts on 7/10/14, for $79.99 each.

Here's an item I've never seen on any of our wish lists here: an optional 16mm-wide belt / pulley setup, gearing TBD (or better yet, upgrade the entire line to 16mm at incremental cost).  Gates can surely do it, but they have a minimum order of 100 sets, I believe.

Ray

Ah, so they were pretty pricey even back then.

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 03:38:15 AM »

When is the last time that you purchased chain and sprockets.
You need to do sprockets an chain at same time for best life.
These are needed every few thousand miles. I like my belt.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 01:31:23 AM »

When is the last time that you purchased chain and sprockets.
You need to do sprockets an chain at same time for best life.
These are needed every few thousand miles. I like my belt.

While the belt doesnt require the cleaning and lubing of the chain.... my chains on my literbike that I beat the snot out of and did horrible clutchups on everyday, lasted 30,000 miles.
Because I took care of it, and because I didnt put an aluminum sprocket or smaller chain on. Steel sprockets and properly sized chains, last.

That said, I like belts on electric bikes because of the noise. Not for any other reason.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2016, 01:46:09 AM »

I believe it's only available from Zero.

The closest I found so far is this :

http://www.biedlers-belts.com/gates-8mgt-1760-12-belt.html

Gates catalog doesn't seem to have a 14mm version.

Close. The official Gates part number is 8MGT-1760-14

Except you cant order it unless you order enough to make a special run. Thats why only Zero carries them. They're not off-the-shelf items.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2016, 03:49:37 AM »

According to a post on a BMW forum, BMW's $450 rear drive belt (plus $200 labor for installation) for the CS and S/ST/GT models can only be bought from one of their dealers.  The person that posted that information claimed to work for Gates and tried to buy the belt through his company contacts, which he said he could not do.  If you think Zero is screwing you, take it from me, they are very reasonable when you compare their parts prices with BMW prices.   ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

pacificcricket

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2016, 08:25:20 AM »

According to a post on a BMW forum, BMW's $450 rear drive belt (plus $200 labor for installation) for the CS and S/ST/GT models can only be bought from one of their dealers.  The person that posted that information claimed to work for Gates and tried to buy the belt through his company contacts, which he said he could not do.  If you think Zero is screwing you, take it from me, they are very reasonable when you compare their parts prices with BMW prices.   ;)

I don't mind buying from Zero for the most part, but I don't like the way they sell those items, i.e. through dealers who you have to call and things alike. Selling parts online would be ideal. Though I suspect Zero wants people to go to the dealers as a way of supporting those dealers.

P.S. Just got the belts. Zero shipped them to the dealer in Portland, and they shipped them to me. Doesn't sound efficient at all...

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2016, 07:26:34 PM »

I don't mind buying from Zero for the most part, but I don't like the way they sell those items, i.e. through dealers who you have to call and things alike. Selling parts online would be ideal. Though I suspect Zero wants people to go to the dealers as a way of supporting those dealers.

P.S. Just got the belts. Zero shipped them to the dealer in Portland, and they shipped them to me. Doesn't sound efficient at all...

Sometimes a dealer can have the items drop-shipped directly to you.
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549
Pages: [1] 2