• March 29, 2024, 12:06:43 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 2014 SR battery display issues and power loss (no throttle)  (Read 1037 times)

pinaero

• View Profile

Hello Forumers,

My 2016 Zero DSR is still at the dealer because a firmware update bricked my bike. Something like the firmware update fried the board for the BMS and Zero has to warranty the part. That was back on April 30th. While I wait for the bike to be repaired the dealer put me on a 2014 SR. Well as my luck would have it, this bike has issues, too. After the events that transpired in this video, I called the dealer and they told me to hang onto the broken bike, and they would call me when they hear back from Zero about my DSR. /insert-angriest-emoji-ever-created-by-man-here.

Anyway the point of this thread is to maybe build a knowledge base around this issue. I have posted a video hoping to invite conversation surrounding the issue to maybe gain some knowledge for myself and others that may be having the same or similar issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyVDb4g8nMs

Cheers,
pinaero

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: 2014 SR battery display issues and power loss (no throttle)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 03:33:51 PM »

Not just a display issue - jumping straight to 0% indicated SOC probably is a result of the BMS detecting one cell reaching a lower cutoff voltage.

On the ride to work, where the bike indicated 0% SOC, the BMS didn't actually kill power .. so it may have detected a lower voltage below 0% but not quite to the point where the BMS killed power to the bike (to prevent further discharge and permanent damage). On the ride back, it actually did kill power to the motor.

Could be a faulty cell, or could be a faulty sensor. Could also be really bad calibration if the bike has been sitting for a long period of time.

After killing power and power cycling the bike .. the dashboard showed the expected SOC. That probably indicates it's not actually a problem with a cell, but a faulty sensor.

If it was my bike, I'd probably cycle the battery a few times by riding it on some safer routes - down to 20-30% - and charging back to full and see if the problem goes away.

Since it's a dealer bike, I'd let them deal with it. I'm curious whether the bike was ridden on a semi-regular basis, or if it had been sitting for weeks or more.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

pinaero

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 11:38:10 PM »

Hello Protomech,

Thanks for the valuable info!

Cheers,
pinaero

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 12:44:28 AM »

Hey Pinaero enjoy your videos nice part of the country.  Have you tries linking it to your phone app to see if it shows the same info as the dash?  I know the 2014 was the first year for the current dash display and had some bugs.  Of course it could be BMS or battery as well but I try the easiest least invasive options first.

pinaero

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 12:19:20 AM »

Hey Pinaero enjoy your videos nice part of the country.  Have you tries linking it to your phone app to see if it shows the same info as the dash?  I know the 2014 was the first year for the current dash display and had some bugs.  Of course it could be BMS or battery as well but I try the easiest least invasive options first.

Hello,

Thanks for the kind words. Unfortunately, that did not cross my mind at the time. The dealer immediately set it aside for service when I returned the bike. Hoping they got it resolved.

Cheers,
pinaero
Pages: [1]