• April 25, 2024, 04:24:15 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Zero Touring Screen  (Read 4931 times)

Primus

• View Profile
Zero Touring Screen
« on: May 11, 2016, 11:07:53 PM »

Just saw this one the zero site.

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_2&products_id=230&zenid=lpjiqnvn8p18uhud7uhiv1rda3

Tried searching here for opinions about it, but didn't find anything.  Anyone have it?  How does it impact range?  Some pictures would be nice too.  The small photo on the Zero site doesn't give you much of an idea of what it really looks like.

Erasmo

• View Profile
Re: Zero Touring Screen
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 12:19:13 AM »

It is still new, but people have good experiences with other screens an gain some range using them.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 12:31:50 AM »

Previous thread: http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=5734.0

There are no customer reports yet, and it does not match anything in MRA's range, so I imagine it's been designed well enough for its size to make airflow work well on the Zero specifically.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

xzornixz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 01:08:27 AM »

I have the touring screen :) Can't say whether it has an impact (positive or negative) on range as the dealer installed it before I picked up the bike, but I am pleased with the wind distribution with it. Do please note that it is quite big :) Attached is a picture alongside my Shadow :)

Primus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 08:35:54 AM »

Nice!  How is it attached?  Just wondering if it can maybe be removed easily to test the Wh/mi with vs without it.

I have the touring screen :) Can't say whether it has an impact (positive or negative) on range as the dealer installed it before I picked up the bike, but I am pleased with the wind distribution with it. Do please note that it is quite big :) Attached is a picture alongside my Shadow :)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 09:30:52 AM »

MRA windscreens for naked bikes all have struts that mount to the handlebars. You can loosen some bolts to remove it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

xxredcowxx

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 11:02:43 PM »

I've had the touring screen from Zero for my '16 SR for about a week now and it's such a huge improvement. Highway cruising at 70+ is quite comfortable now and my commute seems to use a bit less charge, it's about 12 miles with 5 on the highway. Was using ~10% each way and now its like 8%. My bike is still new so my riding style is aggressive with the custom profile maxed out.

skyrapper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 01:35:31 PM »

I use the touring screen since 4 weeks . My commute consists of 18km at a speed of 90km/h and 2km at a speed of 50km/h . Before using the screen my consumption was 59Wh/km, now it is 53Wh/km . The wind pressure is greatly reduced , but the volume of the wind has not (essentially) become quieter.

Semper Why

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 08:24:54 PM »

Nice!  How is it attached?  Just wondering if it can maybe be removed easily to test the Wh/mi with vs without it.
Like so:

My experience with the touring screen is minimal, but early results are quite positive. I rode from my house to Richmond, VA in June and had to stop along the way for an hour's charge. In Richmond, the dealership installed the windscreen & the charge tank. I rode back via a slightly different route, but pulled 97.9 miles and still had 10% left. It's anecdata, but it backs up what others have said.

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2016, 05:45:32 AM »

Is anyone with the touring screen taller than 6' and if so, what do you think? I'm 6'4" and currently have a cheap $50 screen that has a similar shape and size like the Zero touring screen, but I'm not quite happy with it. Mainly, it is not tall enough to shield me without ducking.  It creates turbulence if at full height and when fairly upright/vertically mounted. So I use it at somewhat lower height than its max height and at a lower angle. It works well this way, directing the wind somewhere in the middle of my helmet, so turbulence is not bad, but now I can't really duck behind it - too close and too low. I can't mount an extension on that screen - too flimsy, I think. I might give the Zero screen a try, though I somehow doubt if will work much better for me, being that tall... 
'15 Zero SR

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2016, 07:02:40 AM »

I'm 5'10" long and the Zero (MRA) touring screen creates a calm area between the screen and almost the top of my shoulders. You want the parabellum and modify it I think.

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2016, 05:24:29 PM »

I think I want the Parabellum too. From several screens that I've used, I've determined they either have to be small, directing the air well below my helmet, leaving it exposed but without new turbulence, or big and directing it above my head, covering me fully and without turbulence. Those mid-size screens that go near my shoulders or helmet create too much buffeting, especially if they are closer to vertical.

I'm 5'10" long and the Zero (MRA) touring screen creates a calm area between the screen and almost the top of my shoulders. You want the parabellum and modify it I think.
'15 Zero SR

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2016, 08:40:38 PM »

Since my dealer has no screens to look at and compare, and all I had to go by was the little pictures on the Zero site.  Other than the deflector, the touring screen didn't look much bigger/taller than the commuter screen. Is the deflector really the only difference or is the screen bigger?

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2016, 09:03:32 PM »

Since my dealer has no screens to look at and compare, and all I had to go by was the little pictures on the Zero site.  Other than the deflector, the touring screen didn't look much bigger/taller than the commuter screen. Is the deflector really the only difference or is the screen bigger?
I think the answer is yes, the touring screen is bigger. I have a commuter screen on my bike now and have a touring screen on order.  I'll do some side by sides once I get it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2014 Zero S

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2016, 11:10:48 PM »

I think the answer is yes, the touring screen is bigger. I have a commuter screen on my bike now and have a touring screen on order.  I'll do some side by sides once I get it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I'd like to see them overlayed.  PLease post the pics when you can, it will come in handy to future zero owners.
Pages: [1] 2 3