• April 27, 2024, 01:25:14 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Zeros in traffic  (Read 2025 times)

74luxor

• View Profile
Zeros in traffic
« on: May 06, 2016, 08:24:10 AM »

Hi everybody,
I am a new member of the forum, writing from Sydney, Australia.
I am warming up to the idea of a Zero to replace my current bike.
I tested a Zero FXS a few weeks ago and just loved it. My bike, which I've always loved dearly, looks now like ancient history: it is noisy (very), has too many parts and needs gas to keep moving..

But being traffic probably the biggest problem in Sydney, I need to be careful about what I buy. My current bike does an exceptional job in letting me filter several kms of queueing cars on my way back home every night, thanks to very narrow and low handlebars (clips-on) which fit well between cars and under SUV mirrors. For the sake of sharing, my bike is a Yamaha sr400 modified by Deus.

Ok, here is the question: can any good willing owner of current Zero models let me know how large and high from the ground their handlebars are? Sorry if this info is readily available, but I can't find it anywhere.

Cheers,
Maurizio

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

quixotic

• View Profile
Re: Zeros in traffic
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 08:36:15 AM »

I think they're about 30" wide. I just got rid of mine because I wanted clip-ons. But in order to use clip-ons, you have to toss the fake tank. That's what I did, even though I settled for clubman bars in the short term.

There is a recently active thread about clip-ons showing a photo of a zero with them on.  http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=3884.0

When I get some time in the next few days, I'll post a photo of what I did.  Not terribly pretty, but it works.

Drag bars might be significantly narrower than stock, while still working with the fake tank.
2013 Zero S. Isle of Man Classic TT is on the bucket list.

quixotic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 09:11:15 AM »

Whoops! Guess I lied.  Just went out and measured 'em.  Stock bars on my 2013 are 28 1/4", and my clubman's (after chopping 1.5" off each end) are 26.5". 

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 09:52:07 AM »

39" high at the top of the bars, mirrors 37" wide, bars 29" wide. 2014 SR.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

74luxor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 10:17:26 AM »

Thanks guys, the S/SR are now covered. I guess DS/DSR and FXS are both wider and higher..
As a reference, my non-zero measures are 26" wide (66cm) and nearly 34" high (86cm).

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 06:04:38 PM »

I have an SR in Sydney with Vortex 7' clip-ons fitted (custom CBR1000RR tank provides clearance).

The height is 86cm to the top of each handlebar end.

Width is 70cm but that is with the bars at full extension and tilted forward (I'm 189cm so prefer to be more stretched out).

Add on a pair of Vortex or other adjustable length clip-ons would allow you to match the specs on your existing bike without problem. I have a custom top triple clamp but you can fit clip-ons below the stock top triple clamp but you'll still need to remove/modify the tank "wings" to fit them.
2015 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2013 Nissan Leaf

quixotic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 10:03:33 PM »

I have an SR in Sydney with Vortex 7' clip-ons fitted (custom CBR1000RR tank provides clearance).

The height is 86cm to the top of each handlebar end.

Width is 70cm but that is with the bars at full extension and tilted forward (I'm 189cm so prefer to be more stretched out).

Add on a pair of Vortex or other adjustable length clip-ons would allow you to match the specs on your existing bike without problem. I have a custom top triple clamp but you can fit clip-ons below the stock top triple clamp but you'll still need to remove/modify the tank "wings" to fit them.

Looks great! I'm hijacking the thread a bit, but is that a frame mount or handlebar mount for the fairing?

74luxor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2016, 10:35:11 AM »

Hi evtricity,
That looks really nice, and encouraging.
Modifying the stock bike is not a problem, more like fun..
Hope to catch you somewhere in Sydney, I ride everyday between Ryde and the Hills.
Cheers

Pages: [1]