• April 23, 2024, 11:52:48 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 2016 Zero SR making loud buzzing sound on acceleration  (Read 6688 times)

ctak

• View Profile
2016 Zero SR making loud buzzing sound on acceleration
« on: May 04, 2016, 06:44:52 AM »

Hi all,

I have about 100 miles on my 2016 Zero SR.  About 75 miles in, I started noticing a very loud buzzing sound that occurs only on medium to medium/hard acceleration.  It sounds sort of like a chainsaw -- nothing like the pleasant super-high-pitch whine of the electric motor.

I have attached an audio file that captures the noise.  You'll hear it on all 3 of my accelerations from about 10 mph.

I took it to the dealer to diagnose.  One of the techs rode the bike and immediately said something's not right, and that it's not a normal noise.   After putting the bike on the stand, they found nothing obviously wrong, and then cleaned/re-tensioned the belt.  The problem initially went away.  But then it came back after about 2 miles, just as loud as before.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 06:59:27 AM by ctak »

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: 2016 Zero SR making loud buzzing sound on acceleration
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 07:08:29 AM »

I hear what to me is clearly belt noise, often referred to as a low groan. I do not understand the comparison to a chainsaw or buzzing.

Now, the belt may be dirty, which often happens when rainy/wet. Try cleaning the belt to see if that fixes it.

What would be more serious (which I cannot say) is if the belt were misaligned. You could ask the techs to check belt alignment.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

ctak

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 12:13:34 PM »

The service shop cleaned and re-tensioned the belt twice.  Each time, the sound would diminish, but then it would come back in about 2-3 miles of driving.  I've never ridden in the rain or off-road.  Only on clean paved streets.

Are others experiencing this noise under normal operating conditions (i.e. recently cleaned/tensioned drive belt)?  I'm just trying to determine if this is an expected sound, as it's really loud.

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 03:39:36 PM »

If not the belt it may be the pulleys. Definitely due to belt or pully teeth not aligned or damage. Check torque of all pully bolts, if it persists just get dealer to replace belt and pulleys under warranty.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 03:42:50 PM by firepower »

Ndm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 05:19:55 PM »

I've removed and installed the rear wheel assembly a few times and found that once you torque the rear axle the perfect alignment you achieved is gone and the belt rubs on the outside lip of the pulley, the only trick I can suggest is setup the alignment, then equally on both sides adjust the tension keeping the belt to the inside edge (without the lip) with the bike on a stand I then run the motor with rear brake lightly applied to confirm alignment and torque the axle to spec (75 lb/ft I believe) check it again after a short ride, I've had the belt  rub the lip and it is a distinct and alarming sound/drone that gets worse with torque
2013 zero S  ZF13.0 , 2017 chevy bolt, 2008 IGO Titan bike

E-Luke

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 08:09:38 AM »

Mine does too (DSR) but I just assumed it was normal as it happened only when HARD accelerating. It doesn't sound as loud as this either, but I'd assume that's because I wear a helmet.

I remember a couple of the bikes doing it I test rode and I just assumed it was some higher power mode from higher output.

Maybe I'll swing by hollywood electrics and ask them tomorrow.

xzornixz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 12:57:25 AM »

My 2016 SR makes this sound as well during hard acceleration :/ (700km on the odometer). The bike I test rode (also a brand new SR) made the same noise as well, so this seems to be a problem on these bikes, if this sound isn't supposed to be there :/

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 05:57:43 PM »

At what speed did you guys say this noise starts? My '15 SR makes different noises at different speeds and accelerations, definitely more unpleasant at hard acceleration, but I have not heard that type of chainsaw grrrr that loud. Of course, it could be exaggerated by your recording. I'll listen for it next time I go out, which will probably be to take it to the dealer for an unrelated repair... 
'15 Zero SR

xzornixz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 10:28:39 AM »

Right from the start during acceleration over about 40% - 50%. If anything the sound is harsher than what is heard on the recording..

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 05:07:46 AM »

I am not so sure it's the belt.

I had this problem on my 2012 as well as on my 2012SR with the 2013 motor and it seem that it is more coming from the motor and it's more present when it is wet outdoor or during rain.  I am more under the impression that it is the motor encoder sensor that loose accuracy or that his ultra high precisions is affected by humiodity witch make teh controlelr to send back some strange oscillation of the current to teh motor. The SIn/Cos encoder ia an awsome motor rotor position detection sensor however the the circuit that drive it seem to mot like moisture...

I say that because i also observed some torque loss when these sound occur.. witch make sense with the theory above ;)

But... that,s my opinion  :-\

Doc
Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 05:54:18 AM »

I can't really tell if mine is making it or not - too much wind noise. There is certainly some rumbling at hard acceleration from a stop that is not there during a more gentle acceleration, but I don't think it sounds nearly as bad as in that video. If I ever get my wind screen installed to eliminate wind noise, I'll check again...
'15 Zero SR

E-Luke

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 06:52:03 AM »

I'm the same as Xzornixz where it does it at anything over 40/50% throttle at any speed. From a stop its just easiest to hear it without wind.
Also, I live in bone dry California where humidity is non-existent and rain for that matter.

There is no power loss with the sound, more just that the sound is a reflection of hard acceleration.

ctak

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2016, 12:04:50 PM »

Right,  the same for me.  The buzzing/vibrating sound is very loud, and present at any speed so long as the engine is under med/heavy load (e.g. 50%+ throttle from a stop, or going up a hill).

It's incredibly loud, and the audio clip i posted, if anything, makes the sound less obvious.

ctak

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2016, 12:07:57 PM »

Here's another audio clip where I give it about 50% throttle starting from about 5mph.

xzornixz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2016, 04:09:31 PM »

I have forwarded the link to the recording to Zero, I'll keep you posted if they answer :)
Pages: [1] 2