• April 27, 2024, 08:21:00 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Charge cord storage  (Read 6777 times)

Erasmo

• View Profile
Re: Charge cord storage
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2016, 02:14:41 AM »

Ah yes I recognise that cap. Push to close, yeah right.

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2016, 04:55:49 PM »

Did these fit nicely?

Found these on Amazon.com:
https://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Round-Insert-Blanking-Black/dp/B00XBGHY5O

Cheap enough, I ordered them and we'll see what happens.
'15 Zero SR

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2016, 05:20:12 PM »

Did these fit nicely?

Found these on Amazon.com:
https://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Round-Insert-Blanking-Black/dp/B00XBGHY5O

Cheap enough, I ordered them and we'll see what happens.

Afraid not.  Just a tad too small, and I've been too lazy to send them back.  Also, they're closer to the diameter of the frame tube, not the tube in the swingarm.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Semper Why

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2016, 02:27:10 AM »

I confess, I do regret the loss of the cup holder on my Vulcan.

Fivespeed302

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2017, 04:38:55 AM »

I originally tried storing my cord in the frame hole but I noticed that the cord rubber coating was getting shaved off.  I reached in with my fingers like an idiot and cut myself.  No more frame holing for me ;)

I use the swingarm hole and have never had a problem.  Mine stays in perfectly.  I also perfected the fold so I can wrap it up and store it rather quickly, and it doesn't protrude on either side.
2015 Zero SR
2009 Yamaha R1

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2017, 05:10:05 AM »

It seems to me that the frame tube hole would be a great place to put a J1772 built in plug. I had a J1772 plug made up with a standard power point on the other end so it plugs into the normal charge cord and then into the bike. But I can also plug in my QuiQ charger as well via a 1 into 2 cord. I carry a 6 inch long charge cable in the tank bag (now carbon fiber top). The J1772 socket (as a stand alone socket) is too big to fit in the frame hole, but I think a custom job might just fit. It would need to be off center to have enough room for the catch lever on the plug end (attached to the charge station).

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2017, 09:02:55 PM »

It seems to me that the frame tube hole would be a great place to put a J1772 built in plug. I had a J1772 plug made up with a standard power point on the other end so it plugs into the normal charge cord and then into the bike. But I can also plug in my QuiQ charger as well via a 1 into 2 cord. I carry a 6 inch long charge cable in the tank bag (now carbon fiber top). The J1772 socket (as a stand alone socket) is too big to fit in the frame hole, but I think a custom job might just fit. It would need to be off center to have enough room for the catch lever on the plug end (attached to the charge station).

have you seen this location/use?  https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=346816199051264&set=pcb.1236086479793891&type=3&theater

Richard230

• View Profile
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2017, 08:13:13 AM »

as cool as this looks... dont ever use this to charge.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/usa-Standard-2Pin-laptop-computer-retractable-power-cable-Goods-type-3-hole-plug-1-2M-Length/714523_634376984.html

Could I use that as a bun warmer?  ;)
give it 15 mins and you could probably make toast.
that pic came up while searching for something else, and man.. i wish we could have something that tiny and portable. maybe once we start making that room-temp superconducting wire.. right?

Ethestral

• Plugged in at the 10kw array inverter
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2017, 10:10:25 AM »

Funny story, ended up buying my buddy a new self retracting extension cord (ceiling mounted) for his garage. Thought I had pulled it all the way out when I plugged in to charge.  To avoid the coil of self heating doom.

I was wrong, it bound up and I thought I was fully extended. Didn't burn anything down because i only charged for a couple hours while at the bbq. When I rolled it up everything was fine. When he tried to use it a couple days later he pulled the sheath off on several sections. Yay exposed wire.

We laughed, looked into the specs on the unit and it wasn't even solid enough to run his miter box. I felt bad but he's safer now with the upgrade I helped him buy and install. Don't use retracting or coiled cables, they do heat up and if left may melt and arc if the conditions are just wrong.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2017, 09:16:56 PM »

Funny story, ended up buying my buddy a new self retracting extension cord (ceiling mounted) for his garage. Thought I had pulled it all the way out when I plugged in to charge.  To avoid the coil of self heating doom...

I have a friend who's a contractor, and as you know they're not capable of working unless C&W music is bombarding the place, but there's not always an outlet nearby to plug the boom box into. He thought he was very clever when he used a 500' spool of Romex as an extremely long extension cord, until the day the outlet wasn't very far away, he left most of the spool on the reel, and he wound up wasting an entire spool of Romex.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]