• April 25, 2024, 01:20:51 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Charge cord storage  (Read 6771 times)

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
Charge cord storage
« on: May 03, 2016, 03:21:19 AM »

Okay, as long as I'm on a roll asking "stupid questions," might as well go with another one.

I'd read the hollow tube in the rear frame is for storing the charging cord when it isn't in use.  There are actually TWO hollow tubes, one in the frame under the seat, and one in the swingarm.  Neither one has any kind of a "cap" to seal it off, so I can easily envision the cord sliding out and getting dumped on the road somewhere.  Am I just being paranoid or is this a serious concern?  Are there "caps" available to give me peace of mind?

Right now I just leave the cord in the garage plugged into an outlet.  When I come home, I just plug the other end into the bike.

Thanks in advance,
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Charge cord storage
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 03:35:47 AM »

The hollow tube has some bumps that have always kept my cord in place. But the design did change recently (15/16 model years), and I also have switched to just throwing the cord in either the tank storage bin or my top case so it doesn't bend so much/often. Once you decide to use a bin, just bring a secured spare if it bothers you. I've never had a cable get away from me, although I "retired" my 3-year old cable from the 13DS to the garage since it was getting a little softer from use.

The cord is very easily replaceable from Monoprice (25ft example, but shorter ones are available and nice alternatives): http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5295
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

DPsSRnSD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 03:50:10 AM »

The tubes can be used for lots of things. I use one or both to pass a cable through to lock the bike. I also use them to pass the charging cord through to keep it off the ground if it's coming from the other side. I just realized I might be able to pass the lower strap for by bike cover through them because under the bike hasn't worked out. I didn't like shoving the charging cord into the smaller tube. It fits nicely in the swing arm tube, but on principle I don't want the added weight there.
2020 Zero SR/S
Previously: 2016 Zero SR

Fivespeed302

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 07:17:19 PM »

The tube in the frame has very sharp edges and I actually sliced my finger in there.  It also scraped some rubber off the charge cord.  I store mine in the swingarm which is smooth and it sits there just fine.  I also keep my cell phone in the gap between the storage container and the "bucket" or whatever they call it.  It's in there good and tight and I can easily pull it out without having to search around in the container. 
2015 Zero SR
2009 Yamaha R1

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 08:40:21 PM »

Since the cords are so cheap, just keep a spare folded up in the swingarm tube and leave it there. Keep leaving the other one plugged in at home to keep it quick and easy to plug in.

this way, you wont get stuck somewhere without it, and its not an additional hassle. well worth the $5 or so the cable cost.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 08:51:31 PM »

Since the cords are so cheap, just keep a spare folded up in the swingarm tube and leave it there. Keep leaving the other one plugged in at home to keep it quick and easy to plug in.

this way, you wont get stuck somewhere without it, and its not an additional hassle. well worth the $5 or so the cable cost.

Now THAT sounds like a capital idea!
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

remmie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 11:29:25 PM »

and if you're worried that the cord will fall out, you could also use something like this.

https://www.rvsland.nl/meubeldop-verstelbaar-60mm

or this

https://www.rvsland.nl/meubeldop-60

The diameter of the hole in the frame is 60mm exact, so these will probably fit
If you don't use the threaded one, be sure to have something around to remove the cap, otherwise you're still stuck without a charge cord  ;D
Current : Red Premium Zero SR/F (ordered May 25, delivered August 23 2019) with Rapid charger for 12kW charging
Former : White Zero SR 2018 ZF14.4 kWh (17.500 km)
Former : Black Zero SR 2014 ZF11.4 kWh (25.000 km)
SR's outfitted with Homemade "Supercharger" 6x eltek Flatpack S (12 kW)

WoadRaider

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 01:33:42 AM »

Every way I've folded the power cord it's been so tight in the tube that it wouldn't ever come out without a good tug; and nothing other than pulling it out is going to generate that kind of force. Maybe some extreme accident, where you get destroyed going 70mph, but at that point a charge cord is the least of your worries, in fact you probably don't have any worries at that point.
perspective, use it

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 03:57:57 AM »

But would it survive a 17 mile trip at 70 mph on our LOVELY, poorly-maintained highways... that's my worry.  :P  That generates an awful lot of vibration, especially on the swingarm that is working overtime to keep the fillings in my teeth from rattling out...
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 06:22:49 AM »

But would it survive a 17 mile trip at 70 mph on our LOVELY, poorly-maintained highways... that's my worry.  :P

Yes, it does. None of that produces large lateral forces; pretty much the only lateral forces that could knock out the cord are also going to really ruin your day.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

gman669

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 11:20:24 PM »

I bought a handlebar storage bag in the bicycle aisle of target. $10 and it fits the cord,brake lock,my neck garter, and still has room for other small things.
2015 Zero FX
Lots of gas powered stuff...

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 11:29:50 PM »

When I got my bike, I immediately removed the cord from the hole in the frame and have kept it in the tank bag ever since. I wasn't concerned about losing it, since the fit seemed quite tight (and as Brian pointed out the lateral forces on a motorcycle are very small), what I was concerned about were several flat spots that had already developed on the cable. I just can't imagine it's a good idea to cram the cord into a tight spot like that and vibrate it for thousands of miles over the years.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Fivespeed302

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2016, 06:57:06 AM »

Since the cords are so cheap... Blah, blah, blah, well worth the $5 or so the cable cost.

Really? Where can I find cheap parts besides going through the dealer?
2015 Zero SR
2009 Yamaha R1

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2016, 07:45:16 AM »

Since the cords are so cheap... Blah, blah, blah, well worth the $5 or so the cable cost.

Really? Where can I find cheap parts besides going through the dealer?

It's a standard PC or Kettle cord.. just be sure any replacement cable is 14awg or bigger (lower nbr)   the 18awg 6ft cables get warm.

Fivespeed302

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2016, 07:46:37 AM »

Thank you.
2015 Zero SR
2009 Yamaha R1
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5