• April 24, 2024, 04:08:52 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Biggest issue I have with this bike...  (Read 2158 times)

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
Biggest issue I have with this bike...
« on: April 29, 2016, 08:31:09 AM »

Just wondering if any other "First time electric bike riders" have the same "problem" I do.  Very often when I glance at the speedometer, I find myself going WAAAAAAY faster than I think I am.  I attribute that to the complete lack of engine noise and vibration that normally contributes to the sensory experience of speed.

I had that same issue years ago when I first started wearing ear plugs, but it's MUCH worse with this bike. I still wear the ear plugs to protect myself from the wind roar, but that isn't really enough.  I know eventually I'll adapt... just don't know how long that'll take.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

quixotic

• View Profile
Re: Biggest issue I have with this bike...
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 08:59:39 AM »

I know exactly how you feel.  I've only had mine for a week or two, and today I thought to myself, "Gee, although my last speeding ticket was in 1976 (true), I have a feeling that I'll get my second one any day now".  This bike is extremely addictive!
2013 Zero S. Isle of Man Classic TT is on the bucket list.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 09:01:49 AM »

Only a week or two?  We're in the same boat then.  I picked up mine this past Saturday.  This coming Saturday it'll be a week old.  :)
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

ElectricZen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 12:48:52 PM »

Haha!  Yeah the lack of the audio cue from the engine as the RPM rises signaling the need to change of gears usually gave me a rough idea of how fast I'm going.  Now I count on wind noise but it is really, really easy to speed!  So much fun though!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 07:17:57 PM »

I have the opposite problem - due to my tall frame (6'4"), the upright riding position, and lack of any wind protection (working on that), I often unconsciously slow down to lower speeds, often below what other drivers think I should be going at, so I have to make a mental effort to speed-up. Never had that issue with the Vectrix (at least until its electronically limited 68mph top speed - I was usually among the faster traffic without making special effort). Of course, when I do make the effort, the SR delivers great! And off the line no one will complain I'm slowing them down, even though I ride at 70% torque and do not really try hard ;-)
'15 Zero SR

quixotic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 07:29:24 PM »

It's not too often that I'm thankful that I'm only 5'6" and 125 pounds. But this is one of them. Power to weight ratio is my friend.

Martin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 08:56:34 PM »

Custom mode is great for cruise control.

laramie LC4

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 04:02:14 AM »

i think the lack of vibes and noise is huge, but i think its mostly the addiction. these bikes are soooo quiet, and so quick, you cant help it. an when you do, no one seems to mind or even notice because your making no noise. i have ridden every model in the '16 line up, including the DS-P. i know i have gotten away with things on these bikes i could NEVER get away with on an ICE bike.

my new '16 FX-S will be at the shop on tuesday, it shipped from zero yesterday. im going to be in the same boat doing my best to not get a ticket. knock on wood...

laters,

laramie  ;)
ZERO- '16 FX-S
KTM- 990R, 525EXC

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 04:38:16 AM »

I have got pretty good at judging speed based on motor/belt whine and wind noise now.  It's probably easier at the lower speeds I'm riding at (40mph speed limit) as wind noise is generally less of a factor.

I remember on my 2012 S, a few years ago, I was out at the pub in a storm one evening and rode home with a fairly continuous 40mph tailwind. When it was directly behind me the wind cancelled out and it was almost completely silent with only the motor  noise.  If the wind was off at a diagonal it was whistling in resonating through the tubes in the frame.  That was pretty cool.

The first time I stopped at a junction and heard birds singing was pretty neat too, that never gets old!

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 05:08:03 AM »

One reason I use a Crampbuster is so my wrist can feel the throttle position more easily, so I set it where my hand will rest if I'm cruising at 55mph or so. I may use a friction throttle lock but that'd only help for full-day ride range management.

Honestly, it is hard to stay slow on a Zero (especially the -R models), because the motor just doesn't ever feel like it's working hard; I think the phrase "mechanical sympathy" came up on an old thread about how an ICE/gas bike might "resist" going fast because it's not tuned for it and you feel it working harder. And the Zero has ... just absolutely no sense of breaking a sweat.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

E-Luke

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2016, 12:09:55 PM »

I like the mid range acceleration but I'm just over 6ft1 and I can't go too fast because of the wind either... Definitely need a windscreen as I've done a few 20 mile round trip highway commutes recently (today included) and any of the silent, calm aspects that appeal because of the bike are quickly made redundant by the crazy buffering and bike feeling skittish above 70. I've had naked bikes of the same kind of weigh before (triumph speed triple) and it didn't have nearly the same buffeting that my DSR has. Absolutely love the bike, but do not feel I'd want to be on it above 70 without crouching or semi fairing, or even 55 for any longer than 15 mins.

Ps - I'd love to be small on these bikes - power to weight would be amazing. I already feel myself full throttling it most of the time and am beginning to be left slightly wanting off the line and above 50. Mid range - awesome - but down super low, not so much.

gingerjet

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2016, 08:52:48 PM »

I thought I was the only one with this issue.  When I get on the highway I really have no idea how fast I'm going unless I look at the speedometer (not something I want to be doing going 70 or any speed :) ).  The last time out I got off the freeway due to being beat up by a heavy crosswind and didn't feel comfortable with going over 50 but I kept speeding up to 70+.   :)

Off highway and around the city I'm slowly getting the feel for the acceleration and the speed I'm going.  It will take a bit more time on the highway. 

quixotic

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2016, 10:05:46 PM »

i think the lack of vibes and noise is huge, but i think its mostly the addiction. these bikes are soooo quiet, and so quick, you cant help it. an when you do, no one seems to mind or even notice because your making no noise. i have ridden every model in the '16 line up, including the DS-P. i know i have gotten away with things on these bikes i could NEVER get away with on an ICE bike.

Yeah, I suspect that when a Harley with loud pipes accelerates past a cager, the typical response is a muttered "___hole" under the breath. But when a Zero does the same thing, the typical response is "huh?...did I just see a UFO?"

MegaJustice

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2016, 02:37:10 PM »

Normal feeling. I'm using a custom mode to lock in a top speed, especially in speed trap zones. It just takes time and you'll feel more about the bike. It's and entirely different experience.

Fivespeed302

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2016, 06:50:48 PM »

Speed is a real issue because it is nearly impossible to tell without looking at the dash.  My other issue that I don't have with my R1 is the damned turn signals.  For some reason, I simply can't remember to cancel them on the Zero.  I'll ride for several miles with it blinking away.  Eventually, some old lady is going to see that signal and pull right out in front of me. Yup, I've predicted my own death.
2015 Zero SR
2009 Yamaha R1
Pages: [1] 2