• April 27, 2024, 08:04:19 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Tires for your Zero  (Read 7008 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Tires for your Zero
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2016, 08:20:56 PM »

I am getting pretty good mileage out of the original Metzeler Z8 tires on my BMW R1200RS. 8K miles so far and it looks like they might get to 10K miles.  That is really good wear as the RS is no lightweight bike and has done its share of high speed freeway riding.  Usually I get around 6-7,000 miles from most tires on my Z1, but this is the first time I have ever had Z8's (as I was always too cheap to buy them myself, typically going for less expensive brands such as Shinko, Bridgestone, or Dunlop).
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

hubert

• '14 Zero S, nuke charged
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2017, 02:24:43 PM »

Hello,

My rear stock IRC is now near the TWI at 11kkm. I'm considering mounting a Michelin Pilot Street Radial as others here did successfully.

However, it is unclear for me if it is safe or even legal to mix a radial tire (rear) and a diagonal tire (front).

Any thoughts?

2014 Zero S
Velomobile "Quest"
Mitsubishi i-MiEV

Tony

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2017, 06:41:01 PM »

Interesting thread.

I know nothing about tires, but noticed my DSR easily loose grip on wet asphalt when accelerating. So, now I just switch to ECO mode for safety whenever it is raining. However, it would be nice with some new tires that has better grip, if possible. It would generally make me feel safer in roundabouts and other situations where a wet road could cause problems.

Any recommendations for how to achieve this?

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2017, 10:37:54 PM »

I just put Metzler Tourance Next tires on the front and rear (stock sizes) on my DSR.   I really like them.  They really quieted down the ride (like a lot!).  Cornering feels better as well.

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

morimaxx

• View Profile
    • My personal blog (german only)
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2017, 12:54:52 AM »

Hello,

My rear stock IRC is now near the TWI at 11kkm. I'm considering mounting a Michelin Pilot Street Radial as others here did successfully.

However, it is unclear for me if it is safe or even legal to mix a radial tire (rear) and a diagonal tire (front).

Any thoughts?

It's not legal to mix radial and diagonal tyres, at least in Germany. But why do you want to mix? Using the IRC until worn down? Get rid of them as soon as possible and use Michelin Pilot Street, but the radial ones. They lasted longer as the diagonal ones, 12000 km the others only 7000 km. Both have more grip at cold and wet weather compared to IRC Tyres, and this is a mayor safety plus.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2017, 01:04:18 AM »

Hello,

Any thoughts?

It's not legal to mix radial and diagonal tyres, at least in Germany. But why do you want to mix? Using the IRC until worn down? Get rid of them as soon as possible and use Michelin Pilot Street, but the radial ones. They lasted longer as the diagonal ones, 12000 km the others only 7000 km. Both have more grip at cold and wet weather compared to IRC Tyres, and this is a mayor safety plus.
wait. what zero comes with bias-ply tires? I thought they were all radials?

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2017, 04:11:00 AM »

Hello,

Any thoughts?

My 1997 BMW F650 Funduro, my 2009 F650GS twin and my 2005 Triumph Bonneville all came from the factory with a bias-ply tire on the front wheel and a radial on the rear wheel.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

clay.leihy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2017, 04:41:53 AM »

The dual sport tires that come with the FX are bias ply and have TUBES!

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

Clay
DoD #2160,6

SRich

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2017, 04:31:51 AM »

[/quote]

My 2015 S came with Pirelli Sport Demon bias ply tires.  Replaced the back at 8k miles and the front at 15k miles  with Michelin Pilot Street tires.  Much better tires in my opinion due in part to the fact they are radial tires.   I am at 17k miles now and still have approximately half the tread left on the the rear after 9k miles.   So not only is the feel better (smoother, less jarring, more confidence inspiring etc. ) the wear is definitely better. I plan on buying the Michelins again.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 04:36:29 AM by SRich »

hubert

• '14 Zero S, nuke charged
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2017, 06:12:12 PM »

Some surprising news.

Purchased a Michelin Street Pilot Radial, and also a bike stand, removed the rear wheel, cleaned it up, and carried both the wheel and the tire to a guy who runs a small business in replacing tires for both cars and bikes, maybe also trucks.

Unfortunately the guy was very sorry telling me that he did something wrong while unounting the IRC tire... He just broke the pulley. Of course he would bear the cost of replacing it, but I became nervous thinking of the time needed to get the spare part (from Cal to EU?).

And what? Less than a week later, the new pulley was arrived (EU w/h probably)! Good surprise. Just mounted everything together, and again is the Zero on the road. :-)

The pulley made of cast aluminium is quite easy breakable, if you apply any stress other than the one expected from the belt.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 06:15:05 PM by hubert »
2014 Zero S
Velomobile "Quest"
Mitsubishi i-MiEV

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2017, 08:55:46 PM »

I got 7,000 miles out of the original Pirelli Diablo II's, both front and rear.  Then I got the IIRC Road Winners.  2,000 miles (mostly eco riding) and the rear is finished, while the front still looks new.  The grip on the IIRC's is good but I am very disappointed with the short lifespan.  I'm considering getting the Angel GT's which only come in 150 size.  I bet it fits just fine.

I was very happy with Angel GT’s (120/150).  I did get a longer DS kickstand for my SR.
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

Causemoi

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2018, 01:33:31 PM »

Hey all, first post here. I bought a demo 2016 SR, no power/charge tank, with 600 miles in April 2017. I now have over 8K miles and am needing tires. After extensive online research for tires for my type of riding (70% commute/20% errands/10% twisties in the mountains), I've decided to get the Michelin Street Pilot RADIALs. Hoping I'll get more miles on these than the original stock Pirellis. Will update after several thousand miles. (north Denver suburbs)

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2018, 09:36:01 PM »

Some interesting observations here.  In my experience, bias-ply motorcycle tires outlast bias-ply radial tires (the opposite of what I saw in automobiles) but here it looks like some of you are getting better mileage out of the Michelin radials.

FWIW, my 2016 S has a little over 17,000 miles and is finally starting to show the wear bars on the stock, bias-ply Pirelli Sport Demons.  I'm looking to experiment with Dunlop radial GPR tires, which come in the correct sizes.  I've always preferred Metzelers for all of my bikes, but it doesn't look like they have ANY rear tires in the correct size for the Zero so they're out of the running this time.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2018, 02:17:48 AM »

What about the Michilin Street Pilot 4 GT radial?  Says the GT version is for heavier bikes. I often ride with passenger and 25lbs of chargers and assorted paraphernalia, plusside bags with stuff.

brose

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2018, 04:14:04 AM »

I am mostly ignorant on motorcycle tires and I am going to get new tires for wet/winter conditions. My dealer is a 75 min drive away making it a bit difficult to get there. Can I go to any motorcycle shop that installs tires to or are there any special concerns with a Zero (belt drive?) to make me want to specifically go to a Zero dealer?
Pages: 1 [2] 3