• March 29, 2024, 06:23:25 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Tire Life  (Read 6096 times)

Doug S

• View Profile
Re: Tire Life
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2016, 05:15:53 AM »

This is some bullshit. Lumping tire wear particles in with gases is a literal false equivalence.

Not only is it pure bullshit, it's wrong by orders of magnitude. A motorcycle tire weighs, what, 20 pounds, and you lose at most a couple of pounds of rubber in its 5-10,000 mile life? In the meantime, an ICE motorcycle burns what, at least 50-100 gallons of gasoline, which weighs at least 300 pounds. That weight is MULTIPLIED by 3 when converting to carbon dioxide (https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/contentIncludes/co2_inc.htm), so that's a half ton of CO2.

Haters gonna hate, liars gonna make shit up.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 05:19:47 AM by Doug S »
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

ctrlburn

• 79_HD_Sportster 2013_Zero_S 2020_HD_LiveWire
    • View Profile
    • Charging Cycles
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2016, 05:48:08 AM »

Tire Wear and Brake Wear has been of interest to the EPA for a while - Some of us we may recall the asbestos days. (and a few may even recall the impact on inner city school grades of automotive brakes delivered lead).

The EPA has standards for these particulates and which includes determinations of the percentage that goes airborne.

Just a few of many sources of this information:
https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2015-09/documents/sbai_pres.pdf
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4315878/

While emissions from the tailpipes have been dropping - the emissions from brake and tire wear have been generally constant. So an opportunity to represent the ratios is an ever shifting scenario does exist - look at the EPA MOVES report for 2050!

Picking up this report and launching it to the headlines as to villainize  EV is as always the every present game of controlling public perception.

The optimistic part is that the "fix" isn't less EV - it is opening up other tire compounds, and new braking methodologies to all vehicles.

jef.jakobs

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2016, 07:16:12 AM »

This video sums it up for me:
https://youtu.be/epEUvHqf_M0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2016, 11:25:45 AM »

Update:  I'm at ~4500 miles on the stock tires and the front tire is almost at the where bar and the rear has tread that is twice as deep.

I guess I have to do some smoky electric burn outs so that the rear tire can catch up.   8)

Months ago I did have some local pros set up the suspension, but maybe the suspension needs some more work.  The tire wear is  are repetitively smooth grain and I don't see any weird wear like cupping.  The front tire is a little more course grain. 

josequinones

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2016, 04:24:44 AM »

2014 SR w 14.4 pack, 2016 FLHTP, 2009 Buell XB9SX, 2000 XL1200C

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2016, 09:24:40 PM »

On my 2012, I replaced the rear tire at 6000 and 13000 miles; the front tire was also replaced at 13000 miles, though it had a bit of wear left.

I replaced the rear at 10000, and again at 22000.   The front made it to 22000 before replacement.   Stock IRC tires.   Amazing YMMV,  I guess it all must be riding styles/conditions?

Its getting closer to tire shopping time and I still find it weird that in your case with the 2012 Stock IRC Road Winners you get twice as much front tire wear, but I am getting twice as much rear wear with the 2015 stock Pirelli Diablo Rosso II.

I would like to hear from more Zero riders with minimum tire wear of over 10,000 miles.  That would put tire cost around 2 -3 cents per mile. 

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2016, 11:54:46 AM »

I ended up replacing my front Pirelli Diablo Rosso II at ~6000 miles.  Its hard to tell from the picture, but on the front all the wear bars are gone, some of the grooves are gone and the groove depth is really shallow.

The Rear has the same miles on it, but it looks like it is going to last another 3000 miles.  That is the reverse of what normally happens.

I ended up replacing just the front with a Bridgestone bt-45.  I'm sure its fine, but it seems narrow, and the sides are so steep, I will never use the edge.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2016, 07:16:30 PM »

That is the reverse of what normally happens.

Its the reverse when you're comparing it to high power ICE bikes.
When you compare it to low power motocycles, the brakes are more powerful than the motor.. and the front wears first.

Manzanita

• 2014 Zero S Woodland, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2016, 11:19:12 AM »

Michelin PR4 front with ~ 6.5k miles on it.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 11:54:40 AM by Manzanita »

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2016, 11:51:56 AM »

Michelin PR4 front with ~ 6.5k miles on it. https://www.dropbox.com/s/hnrh8inpj8r9mdn/20160711_213420.jpg?dl=0

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

The tire looks gone on the shoulder to me. 

You are running the larger than stock 120/70 17, rather than the stock 110/70 17.  You cant get the PR4 in stock S/SR sizes.  You could get a stock size Michelin Pilot Street Radial. 

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2016, 08:29:58 PM »

Several of the posts here show wear on the side of the tire, from cornering, not along the center where it would be from braking. So in these cases I think your logic does not seem to be apply.

The SR is front heavy, I think. The seating position is more forward than on some other bikes. The battery is near the front tire. That's probably why the front springs/preload is so big (too big even for a 200lb+ rider).

My SR is  still relatively new at just below 1,500 miles, so I don't know how the tires will wear on it. I don't corner aggressively but do accelerate quickly quite often (mostly use it for daily commute). So for me the center wear should be the worst, I expect...

When you compare it to low power motocycles, the brakes are more powerful than the motor.. and the front wears first.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 08:31:39 PM by Kocho »
'15 Zero SR

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2016, 09:28:37 PM »

Several of the posts here show wear on the side of the tire, from cornering, not along the center where it would be from braking. So in these cases I think your logic does not seem to be apply.

The SR is front heavy, I think. The seating position is more forward than on some other bikes. The battery is near the front tire. That's probably why the front springs/preload is so big (too big even for a 200lb+ rider).

My SR is  still relatively new at just below 1,500 miles, so I don't know how the tires will wear on it. I don't corner aggressively but do accelerate quickly quite often (mostly use it for daily commute). So for me the center wear should be the worst, I expect...

the front wheel turns the bike too. lol

Manzanita

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2016, 06:44:04 AM »

Michelin PR4 front with ~ 6.5k miles on it. https://www.dropbox.com/s/hnrh8inpj8r9mdn/20160711_213420.jpg?dl=0

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

The tire looks gone on the shoulder to me. 

You are running the larger than stock 120/70 17, rather than the stock 110/70 17.  You cant get the PR4 in stock S/SR sizes.  You could get a stock size Michelin Pilot Street Radial.

So originally I had the PR4 120/70-17 together with a 150/70-17 rear PR3 to slow down the turn-in and improve the stability of the bike, which it did. I was experimenting with the front width assuming that the 120 would have a flatter center versus a 110mm front, but maybe that is backwards? In any case, the PR3/PR4 profile is nice and round and that did the trick.

The PR4 is a dual compound tire and so the wear pattern is more about the soft shoulders of these tires. I guess the assumption is that most riders don't use the sides that much. About 5 of 12 miles of my commute are on windy roads. But really the percent of distance I spend in turns is tiny versus the distance I spend going straight, so I can only conclude the sides are much much softer than the middle compound. I guess the side tire surface is going through more friction in a turn so it's not just distance?

I just installed new tires today and now I realize how bad the front was worn. The wear on the front was definitely causing issues when cornering, the bike just wasn't smoothly falling down into the turn, and was going into a slight wobble. I had to get back on good tires to realize the difference, as the handling has slowly degraded over time and I've just adapted to it.

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2016, 08:08:47 AM »

What tires did you put on this time?

I just installed new tires today and now I realize how bad the front was worn. The wear on the front was definitely causing issues when cornering, the bike just wasn't smoothly falling down into the turn, and was going into a slight wobble. I had to get back on good tires to realize the difference, as the handling has slowly degraded over time and I've just adapted to it.
'15 Zero SR

Manzanita

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2016, 09:52:59 AM »

150mm continental road attack 2 evo rear with a metzeler m7 rr front 120mm. Just did a 70 mile detour to pescadero after work to break them in. They feel great.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5