• April 27, 2024, 05:12:38 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: If your 2013+ Zero been completely reliable, please post here...  (Read 6158 times)

ALLVLTS

• View Profile

I see lots of posts from the last few years about various problems with Zeros, and as a potential customer, this bothers me. However, people don't typically post about not having problems, so I wanted to give everyone the opportunity to do so here. :) It might help me and other potential customers build up a warm and fuzzy again after reading about so many issues. I know that not all Zero owners post here, but some data is better than none I think.

So, if you have a 2013+ Zero and it has not had any real problems, please post up the following info and any other info that you feel is relevant. (For the purposes of this post, don't consider occasional motor overheating as a problem if it's within its listed specifications. In other words, Zero tells you that they might overheat in certain situations depending on the year and model, so in those situations, it is performing as-designed and specified rather than being a reliability issue):

Model Year-
Model-
Purchase date (mo/yr)-
Mileage-
Modifications? If so, what?-
Primary terrain during use (city, highway, dirt, combo, etc)-
Max/min/average ambient temperatures during use-

You can post up if you have had problems too, I'm just looking to hear all the good stories. :)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: If your 2013+ Zero been completely reliable, please post here...
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 11:43:07 PM »

There have been threads about this in the past, not easy to find because forum design ... anyway, I've listed my issues before and can only now add the 2013 battery replacement recall program. Mostly, I've had attentive and responsive dealers in Seattle and then the SF bay area and feel like the bike has been fine for me.

My prior report, with some others: http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=4235.msg26937#msg26937

Model Year- 2013
Model- DS 11.4
Purchase date (mo/yr)- 03/13
Mileage- 18000
Modifications? If so, what?- Luggage, windscreen, DigiNow dongle, Elcon charger.
Primary terrain during use (city, highway, dirt, combo, etc)- City, highway, occasional dirt.
Max/min/average ambient temperatures during use- 100F/30F/60F
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 11:45:08 PM by BrianTRice »
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 11:52:52 PM »

As someone who has put over 100,000 miles combined on each model year Zero 2012 and up, I can tell you the bikes have progressively gotten more reliable each year.  Not that there aren't plenty of 2013's out there that have been trouble free, and all of them are receiving the new 2015 battery pack, if having an issue here or there that might require you taking the bike to the dealer is something that will cause you stress or anxiety you are not good at dealing with, I would highly suggest getting a 2016 Zero.  Not just for the better power, range, suspension, brakes, display, seat, motor redesign and cooling, tires and more, but the fine tuning of refinement to prevent issues is huge.  If you haven't bought one yet, go test ride the 2016 and see if you like it enough and what you can save on gas and vehicle maintenance each month can justify the additional cost over getting a 2013, which for most people I think it will and I hope it makes sense for you too.

The other thing I have noticed, is lots of people join the forums either before they buy a bike, or after they have an issue to seek community help.  Many Zero owners I know from facebook that haven't had any issues have never joined the forum as they have had no reason to.  Keep that in mind.  Anyway please take my advice and strongly consider a 2016.  They have gotten better and less expensive each year.  This month there is a "free fuel for life" program that basically will get you an additional $1000 back, reducing the cost of a new 9.8 S or DS to under $9000 with the tax credit.  I want to see every new owner as happy as they can be, and I think you will enjoy a 2016 much more than what you would save by getting a 2013.  Trust me.  I've put in the miles on these bikes to be able to say that.  :)
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

morimaxx

• View Profile
    • My personal blog (german only)
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 02:18:50 AM »

Battery is still in good condition, no loss of capacity noticeable.

Model Year 2013
Model S ZF 11.4
Purchase date (mo/yr)- 07/2013
Mileage- 23000
Modifications? If so, what?- USB Outlet mounted for Smartphone; QuiQ Chargers mounted in side cases for touring
Primary terrain during use (city, highway, dirt, combo, etc)- Fun rides near my home: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franconian_Switzerland
Once a year long distance trips at WAVE Trophy: www.wavetrophy.com

Max/min/average ambient temperatures during use min. 0 max 42 average 20 degree Celsius

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 03:54:55 AM »

My 2014 S has been completely reliable for the past two years, after an issue with a defective power tank and an assembly issue were resolved shortly after purchase.  In fact, it runs so well and has been so reliable that I don't have much of an urge to replace it with a new model.  :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

ALLVLTS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 05:02:23 PM »

Thanks for the info so far, everyone.

As someone who has put over 100,000 miles combined on each model year Zero 2012 and up, I can tell you the bikes have progressively gotten more reliable each year.  Not that there aren't plenty of 2013's out there that have been trouble free, and all of them are receiving the new 2015 battery pack, if having an issue here or there that might require you taking the bike to the dealer is something that will cause you stress or anxiety you are not good at dealing with, I would highly suggest getting a 2016 Zero.  Not just for the better power, range, suspension, brakes, display, seat, motor redesign and cooling, tires and more, but the fine tuning of refinement to prevent issues is huge.  If you haven't bought one yet, go test ride the 2016 and see if you like it enough and what you can save on gas and vehicle maintenance each month can justify the additional cost over getting a 2013, which for most people I think it will and I hope it makes sense for you too.

The other thing I have noticed, is lots of people join the forums either before they buy a bike, or after they have an issue to seek community help.  Many Zero owners I know from facebook that haven't had any issues have never joined the forum as they have had no reason to.  Keep that in mind.  Anyway please take my advice and strongly consider a 2016.  They have gotten better and less expensive each year.  This month there is a "free fuel for life" program that basically will get you an additional $1000 back, reducing the cost of a new 9.8 S or DS to under $9000 with the tax credit.  I want to see every new owner as happy as they can be, and I think you will enjoy a 2016 much more than what you would save by getting a 2013.  Trust me.  I've put in the miles on these bikes to be able to say that.  :)

Thanks for that. I am indeed considering a new 2016, not a 2013. I posted "2013+" since they are all the same generation from that point forward. I'm really only personally concerned with the 2016's since I wouldn't buy an older one, but I didn't figure there would be enough data yet to post up about 2016's alone. I know you have tons of experience with Zeros and have some ties to the people in the know so it's good to hear that you feel the 2016's should be more reliable. What specifically have they changed to address reliability for the 2016's vs 2015's (aside from the IPM motors, etc.)? Did they simply up the QC inspections and tests or have hard changes been made, or all of the above?
For example, I read about many problems with 2015 on-board chargers and as far as I can tell, those chargers carried over to 2016. Are they all-new chargers or did they fix whatever issues the 2015 units had or are they just inspecting/testing them for problems more carefully?

Zero also needs to fix the issues with service when problems do arise. I've read way too many stories on here of super long waits for diagnosis, parts, and/or repair. Be it dealer problems or factory problems, Zero needs to jump all over it if they want more people to feel comfortable about spending a relatively large sum of money on these. I understand that sometimes unexpected problems arise, but how they are handled counts for a lot. I'm one of those who has not the time or patience (because I don't have the health) to deal with months of back-and-forths without clear and concise resolution. Hopefully they have recently decided to put some serious effort into this, because if some of the previously posted experiences are what is to be expected, I'm not ready to jump in yet.

Again, thanks for all the responses (past and future).
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 05:05:22 PM by ALLVLTS »

armicb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 06:42:41 PM »

My experience with Zero since 2011 has been the following:

Model Year-2010
Model-DS
Purchase date (mo/yr)-June 2011
Mileage-5200km
Modifications? If so, what?- None
Primary terrain during use (city, highway, dirt, combo, etc)-City
Max/min/average ambient temperatures during use- 45/0/20 degrees Celsius
General opinion: I do not recommend 2010-2011 bikes...

Model Year-2012
Model-S
Purchase date (mo/yr)-June 2013
Mileage-16000km
Modifications? If so, what?- Topcase rack, front windshield, handguards, plastic motor cover.
Primary terrain during use (city, highway, dirt, combo, etc)-City
General opinion: Nice bike but still not reliable enough in stock condition. With the BMS and motor change a very nice bike.

Model Year-2014
Model-S 11.4
Purchase date (mo/yr)-March 2016
Mileage-1300km
Modifications? If so, what?- Original topcase rack
Primary terrain during use (city, highway, dirt, combo, etc)-Combo

From my point of view the 2012 models were a big improvement over 2010 models but still had some known design flaws (mainly related to environmental resistance of the BMS and the motor).

I don´t have enough experience with my 2014 yet to give an opinion with regards to reliability, but the general feeling is that the bike is better engineered than the previous models and the performance is way better. There are a couple of things which could be better (the wiring below the seat seems too exposed and the motor cooling is not good enough) and from what I´ve read here the chargers are not very reliable... Neither does the rear shock absorber that seems to be the same used in 2012 and 2013 models.

buutvrij for life

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 02:02:17 AM »

Dear ALLVLTS,

To put things in perspective:

Just remember, among other problems, that 1 out of 27 Audi's needs a new engine within two years time when bought brand new. However in europe, where i live, they sell like hot cakes.
Also keep in mind that consumer rights in europe are much worse then in the US.

Zero has a much better track record in that perspective, but if you want 99,5% trouble-free riding, consider a Honda.

pre-owned: Suzuki Intruder, Suzuki GSX-R750, Honda Fireblade '05, Honda Fireblade '09, Honda VFR1200F, Honda Fury 1300 CXA, Govecs Go! 1.2S, Zero DS 12.5, Honda NC750 X DCT, now Triumph Bonneville T120

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 07:59:41 AM »

My 2014 Zero SR needed he charger replaced a couple of times (I'm a high frequency user), otherwise the bike has been bombproof.  Riding through rain storms, riding 475 miles in a day, hot sun, no prob!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

Semper Why

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 09:09:05 AM »

Heh.

Model Year- 2016
Model- S 13.0
Purchase date (mo/yr)- Feb 16
Mileage- 750
Modifications? If so, what?- USB charger, XKChrome light kit, Givi top case w/ Zero rack
Primary terrain during use (city, highway, dirt, combo, etc)- Suburbia
Max/min/average ambient temperatures during use- Max 72F, Min 31F, Average has been around 55F

It has been a glorious, trouble free two months. :)

ctrlburn

• 79_HD_Sportster 2013_Zero_S 2020_HD_LiveWire
    • View Profile
    • Charging Cycles
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 05:29:42 PM »

2015 SR 12.5
Purchased 12/2015 with 1,511 miles, now has 2,272 miles
Completely reliable.

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 07:40:13 PM »

My 2015 SR has been fine so far, even after a couple of rain storms that I've been through.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

MadwitTY

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 10:35:51 PM »

Model Year- 2014
Model- SR 11.4
Purchase date (mo/yr)- Oct '14
Mileage- 10,000
Modifications? If so, what? - none

Just hit 10K miles today!

I have a short somewhere that is causing my rear right turn signal to stop functioning.
One of the allen head bolts that holds the seat on is already stripped (think I have used it twice).
Other than that the bike has been super reliable.

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2016, 05:27:18 AM »

Model Year- 2014

Model- SR 11.4Kwh

Purchase date (mo/yr)- 12/2015 (new old stock, early adopter program)

Mileage- ~10000mi

Modifications?  rear rack, mirrors, police (SP) crash bar, horn

Primary terrain during use (city, highway, dirt, combo, etc)-
city, highway

Max/min/average ambient temperatures during use- 50 - 100 F

My 2011 Zero S was pretty reliable too, except for the whole not able to get the range promised issue.  (45-58 mile range, per the specs, but I could never get it to go the 35 miles for the regular trip I bought it for).  They did replace throttle under warranty (it pulled a little when at full stop sometimes).

My 2014 SR has only had a couple of incidents, and they were related to running the battery very low.  Don't do that.  Solved by a full charge.

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

Fivespeed302

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2016, 07:44:47 PM »

Model Year- 2015
Model- Zero SR
Purchase date (mo/yr)- May '15
Mileage- just past 6000
Modifications? If so, what?- fender eliminator, removed mirrors
Primary terrain during use (city, highway, dirt, combo, etc)- mostly around town, little bit of grassy/yard riding
Max/min/average ambient temperatures during use- all over the range

I've had a few issues with my Zero.  First was the charger.  I'm on my 4th now and seem to finally have a reliable unit.  Works perfectly now, and has been for the last 6 months or so. 
Next was the brake fluid reservoir, it leaked and left white spots on the red plastic.  I buffed the spots out and the dealer siliconed the reservoir.  No problems with that since.

Lastly, some old bag creamed the bike while parked in a parking lot.  The bike was out of commission for 6 weeks.  The insurance company wrote me a check for a considerable amount more than the actual repairs, and I got a new helmet (Reevu) out of the deal.
2015 Zero SR
2009 Yamaha R1
Pages: [1] 2 3 4