• April 26, 2024, 12:29:53 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Expectations?  (Read 2216 times)

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
Expectations?
« on: April 07, 2016, 07:06:14 PM »

I'm expecting delivery of my 2016 S 13kWh model any day now.  Just have a couple of questions on what to expect.

1) I saw someone posting that he'd had problems washing his Zero with a hose.  That concerns me because here in the northeast it is not unusual to get caught in an unexpected rain shower. Would that be an issue?  Raindrops at highway speed carry as much force as water from a garden hose and cover a much wider area.

2) As the previous owner of three belt-driven Buell motorcycles I am wondering why the belt on the Zero apparently doesn't have any kind of a belt guard.  I've seen several posts regarding snapped belts due to rocks and other debris getting kicked up into it.  Are there any aftermarket belt guards available?

Thanks in advance.  Still anxiously awaiting the phone call from the dealership.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

acacia1731

• View Profile
Re: Expectations?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 07:32:15 PM »

Hope you enjoy your new bike as much as the rest of us!

1) You'll find differing opinions about washing the bikes - ranging from don't use a hose, to people who spray down their muddy FX off road bikes routinely.  I have ridden mine in the rain with no problems and washed it with a hose, as have many others.  The occasional water related problem has been reported, but the numbers seem to suggest that those are rare warranty issues, rather than critical flaws that affect every bike.  If nothing else, spend some time getting familiar with your new bike and you'll see that some areas are likely more sensitive than others, and that the sensitive areas are tucked away pretty well.

2) Keep in mind that many of the broken belt reports have included some off road use, which would be unusual for most comparable belt-drive bikes.  That doesn't explain them all, but it is an added risk factor unique to Zero FX and DS... which may not apply to your Buells or Zero S. 

2015 Zero FX (off-road setup), 2013 KTM 250SX, Kuberg Cross Hero, STACYC 16EDrive

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 07:44:34 PM »

I am of the opinion that you should spray it down with the hose like a regular bike as soon as you get it. If something isnt watertight, I want to know right away. Not months later when I get caught in a rainstorm, or the warranty is harder to use.

as far as the belt guard.. I know some people on here are working on it. I personally couldnt figure out a design I liked.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 08:17:48 PM »

As with any motorcycle, IC or EV, you can wash your bike with a hose, just use common sense when using it.  Use a gentle spray, not a forceful stream (or a pressure washer like my friend does  :o ), keep the spray away from brake calipers, wheel, steering  and swing arm bearings and don't shove the hose into the electrical works.  If you have really dirty areas, use a dish-washing brush or old toothbrush to loosen the material after getting it wet and wash with a microfiber mitt or soft sponge using an auto washing solution (not laundry or dish-washing detergents). Rinse thoroughly with clear cool water.

After washing I blow dry my bikes with a auto blow dryer (cheap Chinese ones can be purchased for around $35 from many auto accessory outlets, or you can pay a lot more for ones sold through motorcycle accessory stores) then I always go for a short ride to make sure everything has been warmed up, thoroughly dry and still works.   ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 11:12:20 PM »

Thank you all for the feedback.  I never suffered a broken belt failure with any of my Buells, but my buddy who used to take his Ulysses off road did.  Since I have no plans to ever take my S off road, I SHOULD be okay (but a belt guard would make a great security blanket).  ;)
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 01:55:23 AM »

After washing I blow dry my bikes with a auto blow dryer (cheap Chinese ones can be purchased for around $35 from many auto accessory outlets, or you can pay a lot more for ones sold through motorcycle accessory stores) then I always go for a short ride to make sure everything has been warmed up, thoroughly dry and still works.   ;)

I use a cloth for the bikes since they're so small, but for my car I just use an electric leaf blower. lol.

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 02:15:12 AM »

Someone mentioned "pressure washer". It got me thinking that pressure washing might actually be less harmful to some components than spraying it with a garden house. That's because pressure washers use very little water and if you do it from the proper distance, that water will not want to penetrate deep inside. And if it does, it will be in very small amounts. Pressure water spray moves fast but is of small amount and mass so it stops at the surface and then just drips down. Vs. a garden house with lots of water volume that would drench more and if there is a way to get in, more will get in. On the other hand, pressure washer might insert very small amounts of water through not so tough seams and such that might otherwise deter large volumes of low-pressure water. I'd say pressure wash most should be safe, except top of display and such would be less likely to get significant amounts inside components where it matters...

That said, I don't have a Zero, I got a Vectrix, and I would avoid washing it as much as possible. Nothing good comes from washing too much - just keep it reasonably clean where it matters to not stain your clothes ;-)

Thoughts?
'15 Zero SR

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 02:27:43 AM »

Typically, I've been accused of washing my bikes by riding them in the rain... hence my original concern.  ;)
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 03:49:53 AM »

I think pressure washers would likely force water past rubber seals and into electrical junctions if aimed in their direction and if you got too close to those areas. I have never used a pressure washer, just a hose, soap and mitt, when cleaning my motorcycles and have never had a problem, so why take the risk.   ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2016, 07:02:21 AM »

Washing is evil ;-)

I think pressure washers would likely force water past rubber seals and into electrical junctions if aimed in their direction and if you got too close to those areas. I have never used a pressure washer, just a hose, soap and mitt, when cleaning my motorcycles and have never had a problem, so why take the risk.   ???
'15 Zero SR

gingerjet

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2016, 11:20:41 AM »

I haven't washed any of my cars in the three years living in San Diego and I don't expect I will wash the Zero S I have on order any time soon.  :)

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 03:05:24 PM »

If you are worried, use a bucket of water (with some auto wash) and a rag. Rinse off the same way (fresh water only).

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2016, 06:08:46 PM »

<Sigh>

Deposit left two weeks ago today and still no word...  :(
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2016, 06:43:07 PM »

Hey Jamie, hope you get your bike soon!  You are going to love it!

You sound like me and many others here.  You ride mostly on road, and the only time your bike ever gets cleaned is when you ride it in the rain.  I've put over 10,000 miles on my 2015 Zero and never a belt issue or problem and I've ridden in downpours many times including yesterday and the day before.  And many more miles on a 2012 Zero.

Some have experienced issues with water and usually after washing, but they are so very rare now, they perhaps are less than the rate of issues that gasoline bikes have, and are set to be even better.    The 2016 bike is the most reliable model so far.  Over the past 4 months, out of thousands of bike owners, the only issues are from "new" deliveries of 2014 bikes for the most part.  There were some charger issues with the 2015 on GFI circuits, but the 2016 should be as reliable or more as a BMW GS series.  They just keep getting better every year. 

Can't wait for you to take your first ride and post about it!! 
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

buutvrij for life

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2016, 01:16:10 AM »

Hi Jaimie,

Congrats on you and the bike!
I use a waterhose all the time for cleaning, and on my first ride home on my Zero from the dealer,
it was raining like hell. Had a lot of other wet dys too with the bike.
Not a single problem so far.

Greets
pre-owned: Suzuki Intruder, Suzuki GSX-R750, Honda Fireblade '05, Honda Fireblade '09, Honda VFR1200F, Honda Fury 1300 CXA, Govecs Go! 1.2S, Zero DS 12.5, Honda NC750 X DCT, now Triumph Bonneville T120
Pages: [1] 2