• March 29, 2024, 03:45:38 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dealer "fees" and other "charges" (not tax, title, registration)  (Read 2008 times)

Kocho

• View Profile

Hello,

I am considering getting a new 2016 Zero this year and was wondering what you guys paid in so called dealer fees, destination charges, etc. These are fees other than tax, title, registration, and any other mandatory regulatory stuff that varies state by state (I know what they are in my state, so I am not asking about these).

I found one person list his here: "$800 in freight, and $200 in 'dealer handling'". Is this typical? What were you charged?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 07:35:07 PM by Kocho »
'15 Zero SR

rayivers

• electric feels so right
    • View Profile
Re: Dealer "fees" and other "charges" (not tax, title, registration)
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 09:19:22 PM »

In early 2014, I paid $550 shipping and $45 'documentary fee' on my new FX.

Ray
'14 Zero FX 5.7 (now 2.8, MX), '14 Zero FX 2.8 (street), '19 Alta MXR, '18 Alta MXR, various '74 - '08 ICE dirt bikes

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 09:48:59 PM »

Some localities have mandatory fees in addition to what the dealer elects to charge.
Here in Vegas, they seem to be quite high. A dealer told me once when I asked about
fees that they were " Required by law " to have some of these fees. I looked it up and
he was correct. However, recently I was at another dealer who has adopted the
" CarMax " style of sales and, they had minimal fees, so, either things have changed,
they are absorbing the fees, or, I misunderstood what I read.
   Not long ago I looked at a used bike that a dealer had on the lot. It was $1,795.
I figured taxes and fees should take it to between $2,100 and $2,5000. I asked a
sales person what the out the door cash price would be on this USED bike.
He had to " check ". Came back with $3,495. I asked how it could have doubled
the cost of the bike and got the " mandatory fees " argument again.

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 10:45:56 PM »

Anyone done it in MD, DE, PA, or VA recently? My "local" dealers are in these states. I could extend to NJ, NY, and the like if it will save a few hundred $$$ - trailer rental and gas for me to get to these East Coast states would be under $100...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 10:48:51 PM by Kocho »
'15 Zero SR

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 10:47:32 PM »

Ray,

Which state was that in? And was the "shipping" to your door or what the dealer charges even if you pick-up the bike? I might consider ordering from out of state and have it shipped if the fees in my "local" area in MD, VA, DE, NJ, NY, and PA are ridiculously high...

In early 2014, I paid $550 shipping and $45 'documentary fee' on my new FX.

Ray
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 10:49:18 PM by Kocho »
'15 Zero SR

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 03:17:27 AM »

OK. I can add my own observations from recent dealer quotes I received. In "my area" some tag-up $1,000 others only $100 to the Zero suggested price. I don't know if that is due to state regulations or what (quotes were from different states), but that's almost $1K difference to my pocket as they are about the same relatively short driving distance from me.
'15 Zero SR

rayivers

• electric feels so right
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 04:03:26 AM »

That was at Eckenhoff Cycles in Cherry Hill, NJ (no longer a Zero dealer).  The shipping charge was just to the dealer, I picked the bike up there.

Ray
'14 Zero FX 5.7 (now 2.8, MX), '14 Zero FX 2.8 (street), '19 Alta MXR, '18 Alta MXR, various '74 - '08 ICE dirt bikes

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 04:20:57 AM »

Thanks!

That was at Eckenhoff Cycles in Cherry Hill, NJ (no longer a Zero dealer).  The shipping charge was just to the dealer, I picked the bike up there.

Ray
'15 Zero SR

Coolio

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 06:11:20 AM »

Im considering an FXS, but the fee's bring the bike around $13,260 (USD) out the door. Of course there is the tax credit to take from this price, but that will not be reimbursed until the end of the year.  Does this price sound about right for an FXS to anyone??? so much more money than the 10k or under I thought I would have to spend for the cheapest zero...   

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 06:32:59 AM »

If there is a local dealer close to you, you should try to see about working with you
to add goodies, or, otherwise "enhance" the reason to buy from them. Best to support
local dealers whenever possible. If nobody close, then, open season to find one from
someone online. Possibly even get it drop shipped to you, pay only ONE shipping fee
instead of two. My First recommendation would be Hollywood Ectrics. Not aware
of anyone better than Harlan.
   If you want to go absolute penny pincher mode, find someone who lives in a
no sales tax area and use their address. Then, after a period of time to "season"
the registration, transfer it to your actual address. If you can't find someone, get a post office box. 
Probably best to check out registration rates as well. In Nevada, we have
a little over 8% sales tax, but, registration is based on the ORIGINAL MSRP
of the vehicle. My 2014 Focus Electric cost me $22,000, but, since It's price
at time of manufacture was $39K, THAT is what my registration fees
are based on. It was purchased in Californa and registered there for a year
at under $200. Nevada wanted over $700 for SECOND year's registration.
It does drop over time but that doesn't help up front.

LeftieBiker

• 42 Years of Motorcycling - 13 years with EVs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2016, 09:49:55 AM »

I paid about $1k in dealer fees. A closer dealer had quoted me a price on an SR that added about $2k in dealer fees.
EV Ownership:

2001 Oxygen Lepton
2008 X-Treme XM-3000
2011 ZEV 5000LA
2015 Zero SR
Too many electric bicycles to list, mostly EZIP

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2016, 11:16:43 AM »

I have been fed the "we are required by law to charge these fees" before.

I say negotiate the bottom line.  I got a low mile 2015 SR demo last year for 12,000 OTD.  There are deals out there.

I went out of state.  The shipping was nothing and the savings was huge.

If the number is not right, I would wait it out.   Buying in the fall when dealers are empty from rain is great.

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2016, 08:00:19 PM »

I was charged $450.00 for shipping and $169.00 for dealer setup for my new DSR purchased last month.

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2016, 08:31:05 PM »

I was charged $450.00 for shipping and $169.00 for dealer setup for my new DSR purchased last month.

Steve

That seems to be about the going rate around here, but watch those "set up" charges.  Many dealers use them to generate extra profit and I have seen "set up" charges ranging from $150 for a small scooter to $1000 for a very popular and expensive IC model at the same dealer. When it comes to Zeros, I am not sure what "setting up" dealers actually have to do.  I am pretty sure Zeros come out of the factory fully assembled and the only thing the dealership has to do is to wipe off the dust, roll it into the showroom and plug in the charger to top off the battery.   ::) 

I suspect that most of these "fees" are actually creative ways of generating extra profit over the vehicle's MSRP that are dreamed up by the dealers so as to not have to explain their price gouging.   ::)  If they tried to hit me up with any fee that was mysterious and didn't make any sense, I would pin them down and ask what government agency is requiring these fees, what they are for, where does the money go (in other words does it go directly to the state treasury or to the dealerships office party fund?) and ask them to show you the law that requires the payment of these fees if you are not satisfied with their answers.  ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2016, 11:34:07 PM »

Steve

That seems to be about the going rate around here, but watch those "set up" charges.  Many dealers use them to generate extra profit and I have seen "set up" charges ranging from $150 for a small scooter to $1000 for a very popular and expensive IC model at the same dealer. When it comes to Zeros, I am not sure what "setting up" dealers actually have to do.  I am pretty sure Zeros come out of the factory fully assembled and the only thing the dealership has to do is to wipe off the dust, roll it into the showroom and plug in the charger to top off the battery.   ::) 

I suspect that most of these "fees" are actually creative ways of generating extra profit over the vehicle's MSRP that are dreamed up by the dealers so as to not have to explain their price gouging.   ::)  If they tried to hit me up with any fee that was mysterious and didn't make any sense, I would pin them down and ask what government agency is requiring these fees, what they are for, where does the money go (in other words does it go directly to the state treasury or to the dealerships office party fund?) and ask them to show you the law that requires the payment of these fees if you are not satisfied with their answers.  ;)

I dont know about zeros, but most imported motocycles are in a metal crate. it takes a bit to unbolt the crate, put the bars on(or rotate clipons), lift the front, and put the wheel on, same for the rear, and then clean it all up.
Pages: [1] 2