• April 26, 2024, 03:04:40 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Tyres for lower speed riding  (Read 733 times)

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
Tyres for lower speed riding
« on: April 02, 2016, 11:45:27 PM »

I tried some spirited riding on the IRC's  (2014 SR) today, now that the weather is improving, and felt like i was about to die at every turn so its definitely time for some new tyre that isnt shaped like a car tyre.

I live on a small island, 9 miles by 5 miles, so I need a tyre that heats up fast because most runs are 6 miles or less each way.  It's also a lot of hard acceleration and tight winding corners so I am more concerned with grip than tyre life (generally I get double the range from a tyre than someone on the mainland because there is no highway riding) but I commute year round so it needs to be safe in the wet.  On my KTM I actually ran a road legal race wet on the front and an intermediate rear and that was perfect, incredibly confidence inspiring.  However the SR is too heavy for those and they don't come in the right sizes.

I see that I can get a ContiAttack SM in the right size so I wonder if they would work or if the SR is again too heavy.  It's worth pointing out that i weigh 60kg with my riding gear on so as a package its probably still quite light.  Or do i stick with the tried and tested DR II?

Thanks!

grmarks

• View Profile
Re: Tyres for lower speed riding
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 02:04:14 PM »

I have no experience with tires but what about the tires on the 2015 SR - Pirelli Diablo Rosso II ?
I am still on my first set, so haven't tried any other tires, but others have said they are good. For me, when these wear out I will replace them with the same (unless I can get the same performance for less in another brand).

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 12:16:03 AM »

Im not sure about the Diablo Rosso II as they are sports bike tyres and therefore difficult to get hot on the road.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 01:55:13 AM »

Im not sure about the Diablo Rosso II as they are sports bike tyres and therefore difficult to get hot on the road.

I donno about the Rosso II tires, but alot of the modern sportbike tires are multiple compound. 2CTs for example have a very very soft side rubber, and a firmer center. They also work well in the wet.
The profiles between each brand is going to make a larger difference in cornering feel than the compound.

LiveandLetDrive

• View Profile
    • If you must cage, cage well.
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 02:13:35 AM »

I have the Rosso II's on my '13 FX with S wheels and find them very sticky.  Maybe if you're in freezing temps and riding sub-speed limit but even in the 40s *F I just take the first two corners easy then hit it.  No experience with them on heavier bikes but they are apparently an OEM tire now.  They're not a super-sensitive hard trackday compound or anything.
2013 Zero FX, 2005 Triumph Sprint ST, 2000 Triumph Tiger, 1970 Triumph T100R Daytona, 1970 Honda SL100  (Latter three for sale!)

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 04:14:38 AM »

I ride in all weather but it's a mild climate so rarely below freezing. Sounds like the Rosso II are the ones to go for. Are they OK in the wet?
Pages: [1]