• April 26, 2024, 11:34:50 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: aftermarket maybe?  (Read 971 times)

aelwero

• View Profile
aftermarket maybe?
« on: April 02, 2016, 09:27:40 AM »

so...  I have a 12S, and it's starting to look my encoder is toast.  Went to my dealer to have em plug it up and all, and they have decided they aren't a zero dealer anymore, and they won't do anything.  I rather like my bike, it's been modded a fair amount, and since the warranty is up, I'm up for modding it a bit more (specifically, I'd rather like to have the controller mounted above the battery, with a "tank" for storage over it, and a saddle style seat, as the zero platform just screams "modern bobber" to me... there can just be so little to it)

So now I'm looking at a 6 hour trip just to get diagnostics ran, and the normal leave it sit until who knows how long, for who knows what, at whatever cost, out of warranty, at the mercy of the manufacturer, and I can't help but wonder what would stop me from just getting an aftermarket controller and motor and simply making it MY software that I can just plug into my own laptop and skip all this "official" crap? 

Montenergy and sevcon make products that are DIY friendly, so can I just replace everything after the battery and sort it out myself?  As near as I can tell, that would run me around $3k, and leave me with ZERO reliance on zero... 

thoughts?   I know absolutely that I can physically make it all work together, but is the battery just a battery, or am I going to run into some weird proprietary crap that will prevent a different controller from working with it?
"Popular culture believes that Americans no longer want to make anything themselves... that they are happy to have somebody else do it for us.

I've never believed this. The US is full of capable and brilliant designers and dreamers. I encourage you to be one of them. You can do this"

Craig Vetter

ColoPaul

• View Profile
Re: aftermarket maybe?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 07:01:20 PM »

The way I understand it, the Speedo Panel, the BMS, the MBB, and the Sevcon are all interfaced using CAN.   So as long as your choice of an aftermarket controller looks like enough like the old Sevcon to the rest of system, I would think you would be OK.   But would would still need to rely on Zero for BMS or MBB issues.   Sounds like a pretty serious project.
2012 S ZF6    03 BMW K1200GT
Pages: [1]