• April 27, 2024, 09:18:47 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: 2013 SDS Monolith Replacement Campaign  (Read 4366 times)

PhreaK

• View Profile
Re: 2013 SDS Monolith Replacement Campaign
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2016, 02:09:21 AM »

Anyone know how this has been handled for international bikes?

I'm on the 2014 platform, so not effected by this scenario, but would hate to think how long my bike would be out of action if it had to be shipped from Australia back to California for something like this in a years time.
2014 Zero SR

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2016, 06:49:10 AM »

UPDATE: Zero didn't have my email address attached to my ownership record. So, now I have the recall notice. I guess it's good timing that my 13 is redundant right now.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2016, 09:31:15 AM »

While I have access to a friends motorcycle (which uses gas of course) it still is going to be a pain. I think I would gladly pay shipping to have a pack sent to and from my dealer and simply take the 30 minutes it would likely me take to swap the packs and do it here ...

I am guessing its more than a battery swap. I would think the MBB & BMS would need to be re-programmed (or upgraded) to tell it it has a 12.5kw battery pack.

Thats why the factory is doing it and not the dealers. Many dealers can't even install a power tank without problems.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 10:20:31 AM by grmarks »

Ndm

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2016, 05:22:39 PM »

That's pretty much what I had figured,  and the reason why I hope they offer the power tank option or charge tank
2013 zero S  ZF13.0 , 2017 chevy bolt, 2008 IGO Titan bike

ctrlburn

• 79_HD_Sportster 2013_Zero_S 2020_HD_LiveWire
    • View Profile
    • Charging Cycles
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2016, 05:37:42 PM »

It seems like what they are going to do is the following.
1) contact local rep.
2) take bike to local rep and they inspect bike to make sure it qualifies
3) if rep gives ok it is entered into Zero system and you take bike home
4) Rep calls you up one day and says "zero is ready for your bike"
5) you take bike to rep and it is out a week or three (depending on how far it ships)

It seems the dealers got a different letter and at least mine has different conclusions - and I struggled to convince them of the pace as they said "drop it off now as the program ends in May". They already had one queued up and were waiting for shipping materials - which does indicate a circumnavigation to step #5. The "May" deadline isn't in my letter so the dealer's steps may be less or more clear.

I did get the impression the dealer staff is a little baffled by Zero's process for this and other service activities (Why "Keep the mirrors"? ) which might just be attributable to new company establishment of process jitters or ICE bias.

As the consumer - I'm just going with the dealer's flow and rounding up the expected turnaround time without grieving Zero for the added delay.

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2016, 05:42:17 PM »

I am guessing its more than a battery swap. I would think the MBB & BMS would need to be re-programmed (or upgraded) to tell it it has a 12.5kw battery pack.

Thats why the factory is doing it and not the dealers. Many dealers can't even install a power tank without problems.

They would only need to swap the MBB at most (less the chargers can't mount on the bottom of the bike then the CCU as well as the chargers) ... but I think there are enough settings in the MBB where you could tell it you have a bigger pack size rather easily. (But I could be wrong)

As for dealers not being able to do it ... I second this. My local dealer who I live 5 minutes from informed me last night they sold their stock back to zero last week and not longer service or sell them. Part of me is glad because I feel they were incompetent the other part is not now I have to travel an hour to the nearest dealer.

Good thing my bike fits in my SUV :D

It seems the dealers got a different letter and at least mine has different conclusions - and I struggled to convince them of the pace as they said "drop it off now as the program ends in May". They already had one queued up and were waiting for shipping materials - which does indicate a circumnavigation to step #5. The "May" deadline isn't in my letter so the dealer's steps may be less or more clear.

Did you get a chance to see what they are looking for on the bike when you drop it off?

I did get the impression the dealer staff is a little baffled by Zero's process for this and other service activities (Why "Keep the mirrors"? ) which might just be attributable to new company establishment of process jitters or ICE bias.
Huh mirrors? What do mirrors have to do with it :/
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

Le Z Turbo

• 2013 DS
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2016, 06:35:04 PM »

Hi,

well I'm still struggling to get replacement parts after my accident.... it's been one year and a half now.....
So I don't think I'm gonna see something like a warranty momolith soon here in France !!!

Have a safe ride
Laurent

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2016, 07:00:17 PM »

Isn't Zero back in England? Maybe you could take the ferry across the channel? Worth a call?

Hi,

well I'm still struggling to get replacement parts after my accident.... it's been one year and a half now.....
So I don't think I'm gonna see something like a warranty momolith soon here in France !!!

Have a safe ride
Laurent
'15 Zero SR

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2016, 08:05:13 PM »

Isn't Zero back in England? Maybe you could take the ferry across the channel? Worth a call?

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/locator/
They are all over Europe again so ....

I think what the complaint is there are parts not listed on the dealer replacement parts order website. If you didn't know dealers are given access to an account protected "dealer only" website where it lists all the parts they can order and their prices. I know this as I have seen this site myself having ordered several parts at my dealer (when they were still a dealer).

My parts never came ... i was told "you know when we order this we cannot give you a time frame for when it will come in right?" I agreed and they sent in the request for my parts (which I was never informed had come in ... and thankfully they were doing cash on delivery or I would be out about $250 right now since they are no longer a dealer)

I don't recall what parts where on the list since it has been a while but I do recall some very small parts being on the list I never expected would even need to be. Like a specific bolt I could pick up at my hardware store for example.
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2016, 08:07:24 PM »

When it comes to performing monolith upgrades in Europe, you would think that it would be cheaper to fly a technician to Europe along with the necessary parts and repair 2013 bikes, rather than shipping the entire motorcycle (and dealing with customs and importing issues coming and going) halfway around the World and back again.  ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

ctrlburn

• 79_HD_Sportster 2013_Zero_S 2020_HD_LiveWire
    • View Profile
    • Charging Cycles
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2016, 09:13:57 AM »

Did you get a chance to see what they are looking for on the bike when you drop it off?
They did not appear to be looking at anything - upon contact at step #1 they just skipped ahead to step #5.

Huh mirrors? What do mirrors have to do with it :/
I expect the mirrors come off when putting in the shipping crate. Rather than include the mirrors loose in the crate... the dealer is supposed to keep them. Which was perplexing yet easily recalled by the staff. So they have read the documents.... just not appearing to focus on the five steps we've identified from our own letters.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2016, 09:50:22 PM »

UPDATE: Zero didn't have my email address attached to my ownership record. So, now I have the recall notice. I guess it's good timing that my 13 is redundant right now.

My dealer is overflowing with service requests, and Oakland in range of Santa Cruz, so they asked me to call Zero customer support directly. They asked for photo documentation and bike logs before agreeing to do the warranty service, but when asked about any timeline or deadline, they said this is not urgent and the only concern is range degradation in the long term. So I guess that does say something significant about their battery warranty and claims.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

WoadRaider

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2016, 02:02:09 AM »

I just bought what I'm told was the last new 2013 S and Zero was kind enough to put the new battery in it before shipping (it got to LA on the 25th). My first deposit was on the 15th and they knew I was planning to buy it on the ~10th. So unless they had already put the battery in before they found a buyer (which I'm told wasn't the case) they put the battery in and shipped it in less than 15 days. It's likely that they didn't put it in until after my first deposit which means they likely installed and shipped it in under 10 days.
perspective, use it

manitou

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2016, 12:21:42 AM »

Just dropped my off at the Austin dealer. He mentioned mine is the 4th (he wasn't 100% sure of that number) in this batch to go back. I don't know of this is their first "batch" or 5th of bikes. He said to be prepared for 4 weeks. I'm not crazy about missing out on all of April, but it's really cool of Zero to do such a big upgrade rather than deal with a class action law suit(?).  So.. Zero, I forgive the shit I went through with the luggage rack. Thank you for doing the right thing without me even knowing it was a real problem yet.

Now, what will our range increase to?  I barely make it to Austin and back. With the latest firmware upgrade, the bike slowed down to dangerous speeds as it got low. It's 70 mph all the way until about 2 miles from my house. Let me run it till the last 5 miles of charge before you slow me down please.

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2016, 04:19:26 AM »

... my riding season doesn't end ... I ride year round in DC without a problem...

You must be the one and only Zero rider that I've seen so far in the DC area, along Wisconsin avenue, near Friendship Heights. Black/white bike?
'15 Zero SR
Pages: 1 [2] 3