• April 23, 2024, 12:10:27 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: gravel embedded in the belt  (Read 1096 times)

yhafting

• View Profile
gravel embedded in the belt
« on: March 26, 2016, 07:06:22 PM »

It seems the belt is quite exposed to gravel. In the area i live, there is currently a lot of gravel out on the streets that have been used during winter.

After practicing a few hours on the parking lot where i live, i have now picked a total of 4 small rocks embedded in the belt on my SR (3 that were going more or less through the belt as shown below).

The belt is still thankfully in one piece, hovewer i am not confident that i can trust it at higher speeds. I have asked the dealer what i should do about it, but he is likely on easter vacation so i don't expect to hear from him the next few days. If anyone have experience to share, please do so.

I am pondering whether this will be safe in use until i get my licence (hopefully in late may), and can drive the bike to the dealer to get a replacement. 

When it comes to avoid having this happening again, I can't see any way that i would not risk this throughout the year, although chances are of course greater until the roads have been swept properly (usually in the beginning of may around here). Avoid riding in April would significantly cut the season, so i'm not particularly fond of that as a solution, as it would also state clearly that the bike is not usable on gravel roads.

ctrlburn

• 79_HD_Sportster 2013_Zero_S 2020_HD_LiveWire
    • View Profile
    • Charging Cycles
Re: gravel embedded in the belt
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 08:13:12 PM »

That pesky gravel looks too big to be cleared by good rain.

Replace the belt, probably with a chain.

Otherwise your riding season would be quite short.

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 08:52:10 PM »

If I remember correctly the belt has 5 carbon cords that run the length of the belt all the way around.  The pebbles that are small enough to get between the teeth on the belt are also likely capable of being pushed between the cords.  While each one surely weakens the belt over a new one, as long as you always carry a charged cell phone with you, and know someone with a truck, or trailer or have AAA or something, I would probably keep riding it myself.  The chain conversion is a good idea if the roads were like that year round.  If not and they will sweep them in May, I'd say replace the belt once all the roads are clear for the most part, but for now go ahead and risk it if you feel comfortable.  I'd bet there's a chance at least the belt will make it until then.  But if it does snap just have a backup plan to get you and the bike home.  if you do ride it for the next 30 days and keep inspecting the belt and counting the stones that get embedded this would be an awesome test.  I think the belt is a lot stronger than we give it credit for.
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 10:18:07 PM »

I'm afraid I'm not giving the belt any credit after mine snapped after only 1,500 miles...

My test will be to continue riding in the same fashion with the new belt and see how long it lasts. I've bought a belt tension tool so I can keep a more accurate eye on the tension, rather than just pressing it with my finger.  I'll probably inspect the belt a bit every now and then and check for bits of gravel like the ones in your photos.

I'm surprised Zero don't supply a belt tension tool with every new bike. Belt tension seems to be the most important check at the first service. Until Zero have dealers everywhere, many customers are likely to skip the first service if their dealer is out of reach.

My belt didn't wrap around anything and kill me when it failed, so hopefully yours won't either.

I'm still hoping to find some time to go hunting for the the belt that failed. It's a difficult place to park and I might get into trouble with the coppers if they see me.

+1 to Terry's advice though.

yhafting

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 12:37:29 AM »

Thanks for all your thoughts, ctrlburn, Terry and MostlyBonkers!

It does seem a bit strange that the engine cogwheel is so little protected. To me it looks like the engine and the motor controller is cooled by air generated by the rear wheel. If that was not the case it would be relatively simple to construct something that would reduce the amount of dirt and gravel reaching both the suspension and the engine/ belt. 

I am pondering on whether i could make something for that purpose myself that would do for a few weeks, the temperature here will be in the lower range a month or two more, so i guess cooling won't be much of an issue (at least not before the roads have been swept).

« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 12:40:15 AM by yhafting »

yhafting

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 01:15:15 AM »

It seems a rear mudguard is what i should try find.. Has anyone attempted installing something like that on an S/ SR or DS?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 01:52:12 AM »

It seems a rear mudguard is what i should try find.. Has anyone attempted installing something like that on an S/ SR or DS?

It's been discussed for a long time but I haven't seen a working solution yet.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

yhafting

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 03:20:15 PM »

So the belt finally snapped. In low speed, ~50m from home, so no drama. I managed to stop the bike just two-three meters away from the belt.

I believe it snapped in one of the spots i picked out a pebble earlier.

I think i will give a new belt a try, since i have made a mudguard for avoiding pebbles being thrown into the belt-
http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=5619.msg42819#msg42819

The other option would be a chain, but since it seems there is much less gravel being sling into the motor area with the mudguard, i hope a belt still will do. But i will discuss with the dealer.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 03:26:38 PM by yhafting »

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 08:44:14 AM »

:o
Wow.  That sucks.

I will have to look at my belt carefully.

One good thing about a chain is that a chain is slightly more efficient. 

Bad thing:  lots of noise on a electric bike.
Pages: [1]