• April 26, 2024, 10:30:36 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 2015 SR with CAN error  (Read 1726 times)

CrashCash

• Denizen of Doom since '88
    • View Profile
2015 SR with CAN error
« on: March 11, 2016, 09:27:36 AM »

So I rode to lunch today, but it was really windy, and 17 miles to/from on the expressway at 75mph took it from 100% to 37% so I plugged it in. I think I had 20mph headwinds on the way there. I didn't get any motor overheat light though.

I went to ride to dinner, and I noticed it was at 78% but not charging - no blinking green light.  Unplugged it.

Switched it on. Nothing. No clicks, no lights, no dash.

Plugged it back in and got the blink-blink blink-blink-blink that indicates a CAN error.

I checked all the fuses with a DMM and they're ok. That's about all the troubleshooting I know to do.

My nearest dealer is 140 miles away, so I'm kind of in a corner.
'07 FJR-1300 & '15 Zero SR

CrashCash

• View Profile
Re: 2015 SR with CAN error
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 11:15:53 PM »

Apparently the power tank has failed.

I had the CANBUS terminator from when it was installed, so I unplugged the power tank CANBUS connection and plugged the terminator in, and the bike comes up fine, with an occasional BMS isolation error. Put everything back, and it's dead again.

All the connections are tight, as far as I can tell, and the connector pins all look good.

I'm in east Orlando, Florida, and the nearest dealer is in Sarasota.

I guess I can ride the bike over there. I'm waiting to hear back from the service manager.

Note this is the same power tank that was really hot, that I asked about in "Roasting hot power tank" so I guess the answer to "is that ok?" is "no!"  :-)

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 03:33:14 AM »

Great diagnostic work Crash!!  :) 

I'm glad we now know that the tank heat is not normal.  I had never felt it, but had never looked for it either so just didn't know.  I am super curious to know what failed inside the power tank.  Except for richard230 saying back in 2014 about a powertank issue he had, I haven't heard about any failures.  And I think his was that the connector had some pins that got bent and the actual battery itself was fine.  I'd like to know what they find out, as the battery since 2014 and especially 2015 has seemed so far to be the most reliable and indestructible thing on the bike.

Yeah I used to live in Orlando too and rode my 2012 from around Alafaya and UCF to Sarasota to go to Haps back in 2012.  My bike then had about a 40-50 mile highway range, and the trip is 150 miles each way, so having a fast charging setup and j1772 plug really helped.  In fact it wouldn't have been possible without it.  Orlando is very lucky to be one of the first ChargePoint America cities.  They had 150 charging locations back in 2012.  Looking at the charging station map just now, and the Orlando/Tampa and surrounding area now has 900 charging locations.  Should make getting there and back pretty easy if you stop to charge while getting lunch on the way out there and charge while getting dinner on the way back.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 03:37:29 AM by Electric Terry »
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 03:57:38 AM »

Have you not tried to charge the bike and powertank to 100

Or charge the bike to match the powertank? Then re plug it in?
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 05:06:20 AM »

My bike had two problems when it left the factory.  The power tank had a defective bms and there was also a problem with bent pins on a connector.  A  Zero technician visited my dealer, when they couldn't fix the problem, and brought a new power tank with him, correcting that problem.  Then he still couldn't get the bike's master computer to recognize the power tank until he discovered the bent pins and straightened them out. Ever since then my 2014 S has functioned perfectly. It has always charged up to 98% after a ride and then goes up to 100% the following day.  So power tanks can fail, just like a lot of other electronic parts - including chargers.  It sounds like your power tank might have developed an internal short and it was the batteries that overheated.  ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

CrashCash

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 10:18:56 AM »

Great diagnostic work Crash!!  :) 
[snip]
Orlando is very lucky to be one of the first ChargePoint America cities.  They had 150 charging locations back in 2012.  Looking at the charging station map just now, and the Orlando/Tampa and surrounding area now has 900 charging locations.  Should make getting there and back pretty easy if you stop to charge while getting lunch on the way out there and charge while getting dinner on the way back.
Thanks! I'm glad I got the "leftover parts" from the dealer. I still have the old "tank" with storage compartment on my wall.

Yes, it's great to have so many charging stations! It's amazing to see the cluster in Orlando and Tampa. I've always been puzzled that the "space coast" has almost no chargers with maybe a handful from Daytona to Palm Bay.  I didn't know we were a "first city" so that explains that,

My first ride to Tampa was an adventure where I had lightning strike an emergency generator about 100 yards away, and I drowned an Elcon in 8" of water in the top box in an absolute downpour. It's not the worse for wear though and I'm impressed it survived that.

Note that this bike had the wiring harness completely replaced a couple months after I got it, and a week or so after the new power tank was installed. After that, it was my daily transportation with no problems.

I'm expecting to have to leave it there for a while. I don't think they'll be swapping out a power tank on the fly.

"Hap's" seems pretty awesome according to their website. They have a full machine shop. Impressive!

In addition to the repair, I want to buy a ton of accessories from them, like brake pads, the accessory power jack, spare belt, etc.

Have you not tried to charge the bike and powertank to 100
That it stopped charging was the first sign of trouble, and it doesn't charge at all with the power tank connected. It's completely dead except for the error blinks. It charges fine with the power tank disconnected.

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 12:40:34 PM »

I'm glad the power tank failed gracefully and there were no fire works.   

Elon Musk was a little critical of Boeing's battery design when large format cells were jammed together.  I'm amusing that that is how our batteries are too. 

CrashCash

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 06:41:12 AM »

Yeah, that's a little hypocritical of Musk, as he's got a car without the extreme limits on space and weight that bikes and aircraft have.

Being a guy that failed electrical physics in college, I'm constantly in awe of the energies captured in my SR. Having a battery that has no problem putting out 7 or 8 kW at 100+ volts makes me realize I'd be a crispy crew critter if I mess about without knowing what I'm doing.

Personally, my guess is that a component (IC, capacitor, power transistor, etc) failed in the little controller box on top of the power tank battery, as that's where it was hot. I'll bet the battery itself is OK. But that's just a SWAG.

Fivespeed302

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 06:53:01 AM »

I'm expecting to have to leave it there for a while. I don't think they'll be swapping out a power tank on the fly.

"Hap's" seems pretty awesome according to their website. They have a full machine shop. Impressive!

In addition to the repair, I want to buy a ton of accessories from them, like brake pads, the accessory power jack, spare belt, etc.

Hap's is awesome.  Check out their little museum and the unbeaten Harley race bike.  They also have a Progressive Insurance agent (the momma of the whole operation).  She saved me craploads of money, even got me $230 for being a homeowner.  My old agent didn't care about saving me anything.  Now I have her as my auto agent as well. 
2015 Zero SR
2009 Yamaha R1

CrashCash

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 05:24:26 PM »

Whelp. I'm fucked.

I started driving over at 6am, and I had my phone in the little Zero phone holder so I could find Chargepoint stations.

I'm cruising along at 60mph on the expressway and the phone just bails. No warning. I saw it completely shatter when it hit the road.

So I had to turn around and come back home because now I can't charge the bike.

Now I can't even call Hap's. I emailed them with my symptoms about 4 days ago, and they have not replied.

I can't afford a 145 mile tow, or even a new phone right now, not for at least another month.

I put in a "help" message to Zero through the owner's page, but I don't really see how they can actually help.

ctrlburn

• 79_HD_Sportster 2013_Zero_S 2020_HD_LiveWire
    • View Profile
    • Charging Cycles
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2016, 05:52:23 PM »

Sympathies to your predicament. A undeservedly harsh initiation.

I felt weird last week riding with 4 cell phones scattered through my gear.

I had my personal phone in jacket pocket.
Last year's personal phone in the Zero holder
My work phone in another pocket.
My departmental cell phone in the tank bag.

You've re-affirmed my lack of confidence for putting my current live cell phone in the Zero holder.
I'm not sure what I'm going rig if I need GPS on the road - probably hotspot my live phone.

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2016, 08:21:31 PM »

I lost a phone using the X grip Ram mount.  Good for city riding, but not for highway.  Also the phones have gotten bigger with more surface area.  The tiny iPhone 4 lasted pretty well, but the first time above 75 with the iPhone 6 and it flew away.

Sorry to hear Crash.  Yes a working phone is important to find the charging stations.

Check out the interphone brand of locking cases designed just for motorcycles

http://www.revzilla.com/interphone

comes with a safety lanyard
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

CrashCash

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2016, 09:48:14 PM »

Thanks for the sympathies, it helps!

Yes, as I was driving back home, I did remember people on the forum mentioning they'd lost phones with that holder.

Fortunately I backed the thing up this morning, so I didn't lose anything. It was also a cheap $180 ancient Moto G with a cracked screen and only 3G. T-Mobile confirmed that it's dead, Jim. I'm taking the opportunity to upgrade to a Nexus 6P with a big screen for maps and LTE.

I'll go on the hunt for a decent holder. If I can't find one, I'll bolt one of my Otter boxes to a RAM ball, or something like that.

I was in kind of a panic as to what to do -- once I calmed down, I realized the answer is "buy a new phone and try again next week"

CrashCash

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2016, 02:29:30 AM »

I called my AMA roadside assistance to get an estimate of how much it'd cost to have it towed.

The operator put me on hold for a while, then said she contacted all 7 local providers and "they declined the service" - I asked what that meant and she said none of them wanted to do the tow so they wouldn't give an estimate.

I called Hap's to see if they might have a loaner to get me back home if I could drag it in, and the answer was "Hahaha. No."

I called the local taxi service and it'd be "about $800-$1100" for a taxi.

There's no daytime bus or rail service.

So I guess that's it for me.

rayivers

• electric feels so right
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2016, 04:26:18 AM »

A few suggestions:

1) rental van / pickup (I've done this six separate times, for 200 / 400 / 450 mi. round trips; loading help & good ramp preferred)
2) one-way car rental home (Enterprise might come to the dealer; it won't be cheap, but likely less than $200)
3) Uber ?

Ray
'14 Zero FX 5.7 (now 2.8, MX), '14 Zero FX 2.8 (street), '19 Alta MXR, '18 Alta MXR, various '74 - '08 ICE dirt bikes
Pages: [1] 2