• April 26, 2024, 07:28:20 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTICE!  (Read 997 times)

zr2ee

• View Profile
IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTICE!
« on: March 04, 2016, 10:47:03 PM »

I wanted to share a important safety notice as i've been looking through the manufacturer documentation and can't seem to find anything stating it. I should have known better myself but that fact that i overlooked it means many others may as well, especially those with little to no electrical knowledge.

ONLY USE 14 AWG UN-WOUND CABLING ON ISOLATED CIRCUITS TO CHARGE YOUR BIKES!

I unplugged my bike from a wound overhead extension reel in my garage last night as it is the only available outlet and found as i un-wound the reel that it had gotten hot to the point of not even being able to touch it, obviously creating risk of a electrical and fire hazard. The combination of wound cabling on the use of a 16 gauge wire can end up in tragedy and can be easily overlooked even with experience. 

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
Re: IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTICE!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 01:08:28 AM »

Thanks!

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 01:13:17 AM »

You should not be using an extension cord at all for a zero... however if you need to use one, use a 12gauge cord.

it will be expensive. it sucks that you probably have to buy a new one. But if you look at anything else that uses an extension cord and draws near the same amount of power it is mentioned in their manual... a good example would be an electric leaf blower.

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 03:47:27 PM »

I thought it was common knowledge because of these attached to extension leads.

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 08:02:57 PM »

If you can charge at 240V instead of 120V, that cuts the current drawn from the outlet over the cord in half. So you can use a longer and/or lighter weight and cheaper extension cord. Just about any quality extension cord under 100 feet that sells in the US for about $10-15 can handle 7-8 amps. For my electric lawn mower, and leaf and snow blowers I use such 100 feet cord good for up to 15A and they only draw about 10A or so. No problems at all.

With my Vectrix, I can adjust the charge current easily. From 5A to 15A or so. I carry a light and relatively cheap extension cord with me under the seat. It has saved me several times where I can't park close enough to an outlet to charge without an extension cord and I'm running out of battery. I simply dial down the charge power to say 800 or 1000 Watts, so the current is something like 7-8A, and that light extension cord I carry with me works wonderfully on regular 120V in the US. It is outdoor rated orange type, just not as beefy, expensive, and heavy as a 20A one would be. It gets uncomfortably warm near the plug at full power though, even though it is rated at I think 15A - it just is not well made, so I never use it for more than 8A or so. It won't burn at 15A but it gets pretty warm near the plug (not elsewhere).
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 08:07:25 PM by Kocho »
'15 Zero SR
Pages: [1]