• April 25, 2024, 08:24:50 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What is the cell voltage at 0% charge on a zero?  (Read 1381 times)

MrDude_1

• View Profile
What is the cell voltage at 0% charge on a zero?
« on: February 23, 2016, 08:53:25 PM »

So I was showing a friend of mine the new FXS and he had tons of questions... Hes really into RC, so hes familiar with the power lipo and brushless motors can make but he stumped me on one question.

Whats the cell voltage at 0% charge? How low does the zero go before it shuts off to protect itself?
I checked the datasheet that I got from here and it said min voltage was 2.0v... but that seems way low to both keep it balance/drift in check and im sure there is a good safety buffer.. just like how we dont charge to the max cell voltage, but to 4.15 instead.

so what is the cutoff number?

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: What is the cell voltage at 0% charge on a zero?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 09:24:33 PM »

When I depleted my battery pack, I never bothered to check the voltage of the batteries (or if I did, I don't recall what the app said), but I do recall how the modules were balanced.  The app showed 230mV to 150mV between the five modules (the reading bounced around from one module to the other).  When fully charged and balanced, currently the app shows balancing at 2mV and 115 volts for the system. I'll let someone else fully drain their pack to determine the cutoff voltage to answer your question.  Once was enough for me.   ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 10:18:18 PM »

From my experience, the LVC is close to 3.0V for the true 0%.

Doc
Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 08:41:41 PM »

From my experience, the LVC is close to 3.0V for the true 0%.

Doc

Right Doc, that technically would be 84 volts.   Which I believe is the voltage range on the spec sheet.  3.0 - 4.15  Perhaps this is under load tho, as I've never seen it resting that low.

I have ridden my 2015 about 12 miles since hitting 0% on the dash and did feel the bike eventually cut back on the highway after about 5 miles, but I got off on the surface streets and the bike got me all the way home. Another 7 miles or so.  I had a fast charger with me and there are charge stations everywhere so I wasn't too worried about running out.  I figure when it started to really slow down I'd just look up the closest charge station and stop.  But it just kept going and going and going so I never went to a charge station.  I was pretty amazed at how good the 2015's battery became over the 2014's.

Power eventually was severely reduced.  Leaving a traffic light eventually felt like the bike had 1 horsepower, but it got me to 35 mph, and I got all the way home.  I think I saw 91 volts right after plugging in but before charging initiated.  I have gone many miles after hitting 0% before, and I was at 93 volts. 

That would be 3.32 volts.  So it seems there's still a lot left after going 12 miles at 0% on the dash lol.

I'm curious to see what other people have seen on the 2015's and newer that have pushed it real hard.

Also has anyone on a 2015 or 2016 ever run out?   I'm not sure it's even possible. 

You will go slower and slower and slower, but I feel like you will always get home.  Surely this isn't true infinitely, but the 2015's are so much better than the 2014's were it's amazing!  I've heard of a lot of people getting stuck on a 2014 well before it hits 0%.  Never heard of a single person running out on a 2015 or newer that I can remember.  Maybe no one has?  Who is brave and want's to be the first to give us your results?? ;)

For anyone that really likes going far distances, if you're thinking about getting a Zero, getting a 2015 over a 2014 is a huge improvement.  And I've heard that the 2016's are even better.  2014 had about 23 usable amp hours, 2015 was 25 amp hours and 2016 is 27 amp hours or more but also has less internal resistance for better peak power discharge, or at least less heating under high discharge loads which in the end means slightly more range too.  :)

« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 08:51:37 PM by Electric Terry »
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry
Pages: [1]