• April 26, 2024, 09:53:55 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Onboard charger reliability - model year 2014+  (Read 950 times)

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
Onboard charger reliability - model year 2014+
« on: February 16, 2016, 11:30:52 PM »

From my own experience and that of others here, there seems to be high failure rate with the chargers supplied on 2014 models onwards.

Does anyone know how to check the revision number for the chargers? Is it detailed on a label that is easy to view when the charger is fitted to the bike?

I was told that revision 6 is supposed to resolve the reliability issues but then stunthamster was given a revision 6 charge after his original unit failed, only to have the new unit fail the first time he used it.

It would be great if anyone knows the root cause of the issue with these chargers. Failing that, if people are happy to post their own revision numbers and how long they've been using their chargers, we might get a better idea of what to expect.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
Re: Onboard charger reliability - model year 2014+
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 11:44:57 PM »

More info here:

Circuit breaker popping with onboard chargers
http://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=5182

rayivers

• electric feels so right
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 05:09:43 PM »

All four Mean Well HLG-320H-54A on-board chargers on my bikes work fine, but one of the units on the 'MX' bike makes an intermittent fizzling noise (maybe a bad solder or crimp joint).  I couldn't find any revision numbers, but I didn't really know where to look.  Both bikes are early '14's, with 10/13 and 2/14 build dates.

Ray
'14 Zero FX 5.7 (now 2.8, MX), '14 Zero FX 2.8 (street), '19 Alta MXR, '18 Alta MXR, various '74 - '08 ICE dirt bikes

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 07:42:27 PM »

I had a look on my bike and couldn't see anything that indicated a revision number. I could just about see the serial number, or some of it.

Let's can that idea then!

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 04:23:03 AM »

Sometimes my 2015 SR pops a breaker near 100% charge.

When I was at San Jose Zero/BMW, I saw a lot of Zero's in their awesome shop. 

That could mean 2 things:  There are a lot of Zeros in the area, or they have a lot of problems.

I asked the tech what he thought of them.  He said that they have a lot of diagnostic problems.  I asked, "Isn't that a good thing?  The bike tells you what is wrong" 

He said, "Yeah, but a lot of the times the error code has nothing to do with what is wrong"

He did not bring up the charger issue.  I hope Zero recalls the charger so I and get it swapped out with one that will never give me problems. 

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 05:17:29 AM »

That sounds dodgy. I'd keep using it as much as possible in the hope it fails while you're still in warranty. Or better still, report the behavior to Zero and ask them to replace the unit.

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 09:18:15 AM »

So I'm not recommending anyone do this.  But if you ever have a charger fault that is causing your GFI breaker to pop over and over, and you are in an emergency and need to charge, just take your thumb and push on the round ground prong on your charge cord till it bends over and you can pull it out.  Your 3 prong is now a 2 prong.  And it will not trip the GFI anymore. 

Like I said, do at your own risk and discretion, but I have about 4 charge cords, and not one of them has the ground prong on it anymore.  The Delta Q's used to blow the ChargePoint stations for me back in 2012, so I broke them off then to bypass the DeltaQ problem.  Some of the Calex chargers have the same issue at GFI outlets and ChargePoint level 1 stations.  It might not be something easy to fix, I don't know.  It seems like many charger manufacturers I've encountered experience this problem.
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry
Pages: [1]