• April 26, 2024, 04:37:36 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: converting an fx to fxs compatibility  (Read 3165 times)

dvdwin

• View Profile
converting an fx to fxs compatibility
« on: February 15, 2016, 08:37:28 PM »

i bought a 2014 fx last year planning to stay in my area for a few more years which has sand and dirt orv trails and i do some city driving.  things have changed and do to work relocation i am moving to a large city with 99% city driving with no orv trails in sight, so this puts me in a pickle.  i really like the fx and do not want to have to buy another bike.  so my question is would it be worth it to convert to an FXS style (tires, wheels and brakes) or would it have similar performance if i just change my tires to street tires but kept the rims? what would be the cost to switch to fxs performance? also is it possible to just change the front rim and tire, AND just the back tire? is there a compatibly issue with the brake calipers and abs for the front and would i then need if for the rear also?

Electric Terry

• View Profile
Re: converting an fx to fxs compatibility
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 08:51:24 PM »

Harlan at Hollywood Electrics can order you the parts and do the conversion for you.  He made the original supermoto Zero years ago.

Although, I would also consider just selling the FX and buying a 2015 or 2016 S or SR.  You said it was a large city, and to get around everywhere I am predicting having more range might be useful.  Also then you can get a bike that has ABS and Showa suspension.

Ride around the new city for a couple weeks on the FX.  If you find yourself wishing you had a little more range, then upgrading to a S, SR or even DS or DSR is definitely the route I'd go.
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 09:06:54 PM »

I was about to post something similar when I saw Terry the early bird beat me to it :)
The only thing I would add is the 2014 didn't have ABS that came in 2015.
Also do you like to wheelie?  If you do then keep your stock wheel sizes and maybe just put street tires or an 80/20 street/dirt DS tires. 

dvdwin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 11:03:31 PM »

i do some wheelies...i am looking for the most economical and safest route for city riding.  nobbies i think could be dangerous under heavy corning on pavement so I'm looking for an 80/20 or a supermoto tire? the tires on this bike are tubeless, correct? any recommended brands of tire?

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 12:48:14 AM »

Well you can get your tire specs from the 2014 Zero FX specs page just google it.  As for tires you can go with whatever seems good to you based on price, reviews (You Tube good for that).  There is no perfect tire gripy tires wear out faster and cost more slicker tires are cheaper last longer but can slide around in the rain.  Biggest factor for safety is always you.  I put the same cheap Kendas on my DS but I'm a very tame rider and won't ride in the rain if I can help it.  You can search the forum for FX tires I know tires and wheels were big talking points in the past.
But basically more like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Continental-54H-Front-Conti-Escape-Dual-Sport-Tire-90-90-21-TL-TT-/391055322897?hash=item5b0cb6af11:g:sWsAAOSwBahU8S-W&vxp=mtr

Than this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/90-90-21-Michelin-Desert-Race-Dual-Sport-Front-Tire-/252258118274?hash=item3abbc16a82:g:z8MAAOSwunJWFEH1&vxp=mtr

But if your trying to go as cheap as possible the stock FX tires aren't bad on most roads but more street oriented tires couldn't hurt.

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 02:16:52 PM »

Another Plus vote here for Harlan.
He should be able to get you stock S wheels and tires for cheap.
This will get you street trim on your FX. From there, you can go
as wild as you wish. I have a set up like you are looking for that
I bought from someone here on the forum. The modifications
went much further than just the S Wheels. He can speak up
if he wishes to further advise you. I am VERY happy with my
setup.

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 05:43:00 AM »

Ok first,
couple questions

Do you even want more range?     seems as if you don't, or you might have mentioned it, If you do then maybe do sell it or trade someone with a S/SR/DS who wants a smaller bike, add a little cash... just a thought then you don't have to hassle selling and buying new again... maybe you do want more range and that is a good option like terry said

Second
Have you ever overheated your FX? Have you ridden it flat out for 2min-10 min WOT? Do you intend to be going Freeway speeds at over 80MPH? or do you ride streets at 60? or less?

Third
You mention ABS do you want abs? I honestly wouldn't even bother, but I'd probably be considered "risky" on here anyway (Im 25).

And where are you located? where are you moving to? Do you have a dealer in your area?

without your answer on those this would be my take...

Way to much effort to get zero to sell your dealer the IPM motor and do the conversion.

Now you can put S wheels on it and have a Supermoto "FXS" without the IPM motor
the IPM is much less likely to overheat, but if you havn't overheated your fx, i wouldn't worry about it.
NOW that being said, when you go to S wheels you will loose a little top speed if you arn't traveling 80 mph trying to keep up with huge city freeways, I wouldn't worry about it.

Harlen can probably get you everything you would need.

If he would let you, I would buy ONE DS fork the caliper side one, that way you can have the travel but S wheels, and the caliper will bolt right up.
There is also an adapter he sells to hold the MY14 S/DS caliper in the right spot for the bigger rotor on the S front wheel, rear should be the same, within MY14. I haven't asked him or done this, as I always changed the forks to S forks, DS forks, I've tried it all once or twice... eventually ill get some time on some showa zeros
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's

dvdwin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 06:47:39 PM »

Ok first,
couple questions

Do you even want more range?     seems as if you don't, or you might have mentioned it, If you do then maybe do sell it or trade someone with a S/SR/DS who wants a smaller bike, add a little cash... just a thought then you don't have to hassle selling and buying new again... maybe you do want more range and that is a good option like terry said

Second
Have you ever overheated your FX? Have you ridden it flat out for 2min-10 min WOT? Do you intend to be going Freeway speeds at over 80MPH? or do you ride streets at 60? or less?

Third
You mention ABS do you want abs? I honestly wouldn't even bother, but I'd probably be considered "risky" on here anyway (Im 25).

And where are you located? where are you moving to? Do you have a dealer in your area?

without your answer on those this would be my take...

Way to much effort to get zero to sell your dealer the IPM motor and do the conversion.

Now you can put S wheels on it and have a Supermoto "FXS" without the IPM motor
the IPM is much less likely to overheat, but if you havn't overheated your fx, i wouldn't worry about it.
NOW that being said, when you go to S wheels you will loose a little top speed if you arn't traveling 80 mph trying to keep up with huge city freeways, I wouldn't worry about it.

Harlen can probably get you everything you would need.

If he would let you, I would buy ONE DS fork the caliper side one, that way you can have the travel but S wheels, and the caliper will bolt right up.
There is also an adapter he sells to hold the MY14 S/DS caliper in the right spot for the bigger rotor on the S front wheel, rear should be the same, within MY14. I haven't asked him or done this, as I always changed the forks to S forks, DS forks, I've tried it all once or twice... eventually ill get some time on some showa zeros

I do not need more range applying to where I am moving. I purchased a house in downtown rural area in southern Michigan. Ironically it's where the dealer is located I purchased the bike from. My house is located 6 miles from the university and most downtown locations. I have overheated my bike many times, but it wasn't a requirement to commute. I don't "have to" go 80+ MPH for extended minutes. I was just doing it for fun. I don't need abs, I just figured that if you switch wheels that the abs option is on the bracket at that point to be an option.

dvdwin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 09:06:32 PM »

Another question, after looking at your guys suggestions i was thinking.  What if I keep my rear fx wheel and purchase only a 2014 ds wheel (because it is spoke only 2014 so it will match)? The front rim on the 2014 DS is 19" (instead of the 21" on my 2014 fx now and also spoke).  I see that the 2014 DS and FX have the same 43 suspension.  The only difference on the front, other than the tire, is the brake disk and caliper is 313mm vs 240mm on mine.  Is it unheard to ride a dual sport with 18" rear and 19" front?  The purpose of change my rim(s) was to have a better performance on pavement riding anyways.  Tell me what you think.

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 09:37:08 PM »

You will probably still get better performance if you get street tires on the original rear and the 19" ds front,

As another and probably cheapest option i think the 13xu rim is the correct size you want, and they have the correct rotor size  so you would only have to get xu rims and tires if you wanted them. And no caliper or rotor relocation bracket.

Only slight negative is the stock xu rubber is pretty narrow, but with some decent street rubber i think you will find them a happy medium between the stock fx tires and a full blown s wheel which will be much wider front and rear...

I think i can get you a pick of a fx with xu wheels; i stole my buddies wheels when i had to get one of my bikes "inspected" for the dot tires should still be on the bike
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross

dvdwin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 01:26:08 AM »

You will probably still get better performance if you get street tires on the original rear and the 19" ds front,

As another and probably cheapest option i think the 13xu rim is the correct size you want, and they have the correct rotor size  so you would only have to get xu rims and tires if you wanted them. And no caliper or rotor relocation bracket.

Only slight negative is the stock xu rubber is pretty narrow, but with some decent street rubber i think you will find them a happy medium between the stock fx tires and a full blown s wheel which will be much wider front and rear...

I think i can get you a pick of a fx with xu wheels; i stole my buddies wheels when i had to get one of my bikes "inspected" for the dot tires should still be on the bike

thanks for you input, it is really appreciated...i will keep in touch and let you know. first thing i will try is an 80/20 street for front and rear on my stock and if i am very disappointed, i will switch to different rim sizes and suspension.  i had laid my fx down more than once....all times from not enough traction under high/low speed cornering.  my conclusion is either i slow down OR get a better tire/rim/suspension to handle MY capabilities.

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 09:28:59 PM »

See if you can just buy a xu front wheel from harlen first you wont have to change anything but the front wheel for the xu wheel and your rear tire....

Let us lnow how it goes what you like!
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross

dvdwin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2016, 03:55:56 AM »

See if you can just buy a xu front wheel from harlen first you wont have to change anything but the front wheel for the xu wheel and your rear tire....

Let us lnow how it goes what you like!

great idea, i checked on that and i do see the front rotor for the XU is 221mm vs 240mm for my fx....could that be a problem? also the front tire on the XU is actually wider, which is perfect for my application. can i change out the rotor?

dvdwin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2016, 04:15:43 AM »

Does anyone know if you can convert the 2014 fx brake to the larger 2016 fxs brake and rotor?? I plan on using my fx for more street urban use and needed to know if it's worth upgrading to the fxs brake. Does the larger size rotor just bolt up, and what about a bracket conversion for the caliper and what about the cable length difference?

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2016, 08:45:39 PM »

No its a 6 bolt pTtern on the big rotors and 4 bolt on the smaller ones
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
Pages: [1]