• March 29, 2024, 12:07:55 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: acceleration curve for SR 2016  (Read 2880 times)

larswp

• View Profile
acceleration curve for SR 2016
« on: February 03, 2016, 05:54:58 PM »

Hi

do anyone have or know of a acceleration curve for SR 2016, like the one on this site:
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2006/07/article/2006-zx-14-vs-hayabusa-dangerous-velocity/

i would like to know how the acceleration of the SR compare to other motorcycles
Zero 2016 SR

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
Re: acceleration curve for SR 2016
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 07:13:23 PM »

I don't think I've seen an acceleration curve like the one you mention:

However, from a quick search on this forum I found this topic:

Has anyone dyno-ed a bike yet?
http://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=4635

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 09:33:16 PM »

I seem to recall Motorcyclist magazine performing a test of the 2014 Zero SR a couple of years ago and they tested the bike acceleration between 60 and 80 mph. They commented that it accelerated faster between those speeds than a Hayabusa in top gear. The results would likely have been different if the Hayabusa had been in a lower gear (like first gear) that gave it the same top speed as the Zero, though.  :o
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 01:29:15 AM »

! No longer available

Plotted the acceleration curve based on the speedometer and video frames.

The Zero has very linear acceleration up to about 60 mph, which takes approximately 4 seconds to reach. By this time the gas bikes are moving in excess of 80 mph. After this point the Zero's acceleration begins to taper off; it takes approximately 3.2 seconds for the Zero to accelerate from 60-80 mph, where the gas bikes (under full acceleration) take a little over a second.

The Zero performs fairly well considering it has 67 hp and a single speed; but once the ~170 hp gas bikes are in the meat of their powerband it's no longer a contest.

Keep in mind that it's not a controlled comparison; rider weight, surface grade, prevailing winds, etc are surely not the same. And the speedometer / video capture won't be quite as accurate as dedicated data acquisition equipment.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 01:33:10 AM by protomech »
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

MichaelJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 02:01:12 AM »

I have timed my SR at 3 seconds going from 30-70mph. The 3.2 from 60-80 seems slow. I will have to check that out on my next ride.
2015 Zero SR - urban terror
2015 Honda NC700X - long distance cruiser

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 02:22:33 AM »

The 3.2 from 60-80 seems slow.

Don't forget that somewhere in that range is where you're going to encounter field-weakening (the point at which the inductance of the motor windings reduces the maximum current that can be achieved), which reduces torque.

Protomech, don't forget that the gas bikes have gears, and are undoubtedly using them in those test runs. That gives them superior torque multiplication at slower road speeds, which makes them accelerate harder. That's why they can have quicker 0-60 times than the SR even though the SR has higher motor torque. But in a top-gear roll-on, the SR will beat them every time; their top gear is geared so high they have less torque multiplication than the SR does.

I use the smartphone app "Torque" in my car, and though I don't use them, it has some drag-racer type functions, which presumably use the phone's sensors (GPS, g-sensor, maybe others) to generate performance graphs. They might be useful. Has anybody used them?
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 02:39:14 AM »

Are you able to post a link to that app please Doug? I've done a search on the App store but didn't find it. Is your phone an Android device?

I wondered if there was a graph for the Lightning for comparison and came across this review:

http://www.gizmag.com/lightning-ls218-review-ls-218/36470/

It's a great read.

Nice work promotech. [emoji4]

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 03:30:01 AM »

But in a top-gear roll-on, the SR will beat them every time; their top gear is geared so high they have less torque multiplication than the SR does.

lol, yeah, but who doesnt tap down a couple gears befoer nailing it in a race? plus you get the flywheel effect boost if you clutch dump.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 03:44:31 AM »

Are you able to post a link to that app please Doug?

Geez, yeah, it should be in the store. It's a very popular app...maybe your phone isn't compatible with it so it's not showing it to you? It's usual purpose is to link up with a bluetooth OBD sensor, so maybe if your phone doesn't have bluetooth it won't show up on your list.

BTW I saw that bike and met Richard Hatfield in Hollister this summer at Craig Vetter's efficiency event. It is a beautiful yet not especially intimidating bike, and Richard seems like a very nice gentleman. We tried to convince him to go on the ride with us but he declined. Imagine, though, the bike that won the Pike's Peak hillclimb outright in 2013 being competitive in an efficiency contest. It would have made a big statement.

Protomech, sure, but roll-on performance isn't about racing. It's about being next to a truck on the freeway when you realize your off-ramp is coming up and you have to get around him to get over. By the time the Busa rider has clicked down three gears and his throttle lag has elapsed, an SR rider is already 50 feet ahead and gaining ground. The SR would make an off-ramp that the Busa would miss.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 03:42:47 PM »

I have timed my SR at 3 seconds going from 30-70mph. The 3.2 from 60-80 seems slow. I will have to check that out on my next ride.
Yes, I see 3s 30-70 on the graph as well. There is a period around 140-150 kph where acceleration greatly slows before picking back up; it's possible the rider in the video backed off on the throttle at around 140-150 kph, or went over a hill, or hit some headwinds or something; it's not a terribly controlled test.

In street riding when I need an instant action, my ~30 hp Zero is faster than my ~100 hp VFR. The meat of the powerband is exactly where it needs to be (30-50 mph) for the roads I ride the most; if I need to get around a car right now then I'd rather not deal with a gear change.

But after the gear change, or if I prep in advance, the VFR is much faster. And of course it's much faster on the highway, where the 2012 is basically tapped out.

Whatever comes after the SR will likely need a smaller rear sprocket; the SR+ doesn't need more low-down torque, it needs to shift the point where the bike enters field-weakening slightly higher. IMO.

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 01:26:34 AM »

Here is my Zero 2012 SR with the 2013 motor and the SR controller ( modified) 0-100kmh in about 4.7 sec 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKMVWBrHhyU

And here is my Zero 2012 with the 2013 motor ( modified)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD-W3kok4h4

Doc

Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile
https://youtu.be/iVMPBnfhukM
T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

Yon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2016, 06:50:30 AM »

0-160kph in 6.6 seconds last week.

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2016, 05:08:50 AM »

Acceleration curves?

Usually its torque and power because acceleration is dependent on rider weight, head wind, rolling resistance, grade, ect.

F=ma

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2016, 06:38:06 AM »

0-160kph in 6.6 seconds last week.

That's much faster than the 2015 Zero SR video captured above. Any idea why you're seeing much faster times?

Yon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2016, 09:39:08 PM »

It is, and I don't recall fiddling with anything.  Raining today.  Will make another run later this week and let you know.
Pages: [1] 2