• April 24, 2024, 04:42:03 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Need help making a decision on a 13 FX  (Read 1143 times)

steven_first

• View Profile
Need help making a decision on a 13 FX
« on: January 30, 2016, 12:41:45 AM »

Short and simple.  someone as a 2013 FX with one good battery and 3k miles on bike for $4,500.  Not exactly stellar but that is why I am asking.  Will my 15 batteries fit/work with the 2013 model with or without mods?  He also has the bad battery with some bad cells for $400 not sure on that but let me know what you think either here or in a PM. 

Thanks Guys! 

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
Re: Need help making a decision on a 13 FX
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 02:10:47 AM »

The batteries are backwards compatible to the 2014 models, not the 2013 bikes.  The chemistry is fine, but the connection point is different.
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

steven_first

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 02:35:59 AM »

How different is the connector?  Is it something that can be changed on the 2013 bike and batteries to mate up with a 2015 or is the wiring layout too different.  are we talking connector change or connector change and rewiring?  And more importantly, how is that price?

acacia1731

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 02:40:22 AM »

The lack of used Zero's for sale makes that a tough decision.  I was recently shopping for an FX in the $4-6K ballpark, but couldn't find anything.  I finally broke down and dropped $8K on a 2015 demo FX 5.7, because it seemed my only other option was to go new for $10K.  I'd say the decision comes down to a couple factors...
  • Would you consider buying new ($8-11K+), or does your budget definitely require used?
  • Are you willing to wait months (maybe even years) for a better deal to come along?

If the answer is no to both of the above - buy this one and enjoy it now!  It may be awhile until another comes along...
2015 Zero FX (off-road setup), 2013 KTM 250SX, Kuberg Cross Hero, STACYC 16EDrive

steven_first

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 02:55:49 AM »

My challenge is that I am looking for all the electronics from a zero FX not necessarily the bike its self.  I have a few projects that could benefit from a zero FX power system.  I have approached Zero before about buying equipment and they said nope.  I am really wanting a crashed bike with a bent swing arm or frame not a ready to go bike.  I am very willing to wait for the right deal but being out here in the east makes these bike quite rare local to me.

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 02:56:01 AM »

The harness and batteries are completely different they will not work between 13 and the ther years.   14 and up will all be compatible

13s have the contactors on the bike
14s have them inside the battery
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's

acacia1731

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 03:28:35 AM »

My challenge is that I am looking for all the electronics from a zero FX not necessarily the bike its self.  I have a few projects that could benefit from a zero FX power system.  I have approached Zero before about buying equipment and they said nope.  I am really wanting a crashed bike with a bent swing arm or frame not a ready to go bike.  I am very willing to wait for the right deal but being out here in the east makes these bike quite rare local to me.

If you can find something on Craigslist, shipping east may not be that bad.  I paid $250 to have my FX shipped, via Uship.com.  The low bids came from drivers who could basically strap the bike onto a truck that was already headed my way, earning themselves a few extra bucks for the trip. 

Searchtempest.com is a good tool for nationwide searches.  Not much on there now, but I seem to remember a couple listings awhile back for older bikes assembled from leftover Zero parts (pre-2012)...
2015 Zero FX (off-road setup), 2013 KTM 250SX, Kuberg Cross Hero, STACYC 16EDrive

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 03:44:26 AM »

I thought I read that Zero was selling power trains separately. People were sticking them in go karts, etc. If so they would be expensive as the FX batteries are close to 3k each.

steven_first

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 04:51:12 AM »

i asked about that and it was an inside job with the go karts.  From what I understand it was an employee who did the gokart.

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 06:13:57 AM »

Dean on here was able to do it using a s harness and two powertank modules....

Have you asked harlen??? He wont sell you a powerplant???
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 06:17:17 AM by Cortezdtv »
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 12:00:45 PM »

Zero are offering the 2016 power train to customers for projects it was stated at the announcement for 2016 bikes.

steven_first

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2016, 08:03:10 PM »

Zero are offering the 2016 power train to customers for projects it was stated at the announcement for 2016 bikes.

Last i heard that was not the case.  Can you point to an documents or press release?  I was told a few months ago flat out by Zero they do not sell their parts.

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 08:54:29 PM »

By the way I think $4500 is a good price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

ctrlburn

• 79_HD_Sportster 2013_Zero_S 2020_HD_LiveWire
    • View Profile
    • Charging Cycles
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2016, 09:24:01 PM »

Here is an FX on Craigslist in Santa Crux for $7k  (posted 19 hours ago)
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/mcy/5424935013.html
Haven't checked if legitimate posting or wishful price preservation or how many batteries are included.
Nonetheless $4,500  is  by comparison a good price.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2016, 09:36:31 PM »

Last i heard that was not the case.  Can you point to an documents or press release?  I was told a few months ago flat out by Zero they do not sell their parts.

I think it was the third live cast where Scott talked about the motors for sale. During the Q&A portion.
ok the link didn't work so lets try it like this
type it in without the spaces
livestream .com /accounts /14139273 /events /4355455
                                                                    /4442461    I think its this one(sorry)     

Livestream | Broadcast & Watch HD Live Streaming Video Events
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 10:20:40 PM by NEW2elec »
Pages: [1]