• April 23, 2024, 01:44:29 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Another 2014 DSP on the road.  (Read 1079 times)

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
Another 2014 DSP on the road.
« on: January 21, 2016, 02:02:11 AM »

Ta Dah! The VFR has gone to pastures new, long live the DS! Or DSR if you go by appearances... In order to de-police a DSP, Zero supply a new wiring loom and tank panels. The panels that went on my bike are for a DSR. I know the DS is usually orange or white, perhaps they only do the DSR in black? No matter. I'll just pretend it's quick! [emoji6]

I got dropped off at Kettering as Andy, the driver, was going to Suffolk. Just under 60 miles of mixed riding got me home with 25% charge remaining. I rode all the way in Eco mode to be on the safe side. The air temperature was about 1-2C at the start and at or below freezing when I got home. All the cars were frosting up.  The bike had spent over an hour in the back of a warm van when I started and the motor was reading 17C. The battery would have been a similar temperature and using it would have kept it warm. Tomorrow will be a good test as everything will be below freezing when I set off to work.

Despite the cold weather and having to take it easy for range and the risk of ice, I thoroughly enjoyed my first ride. The breaks were better than I remember from pre 2015 bikes I've tested. Even the back break didn't seem so bad! I hardly used either brakes on this first outing though.

My first impression was surprise at the width of the handlebars after being used to the VFR. Then it was how slow the initial pickup is in Eco mode, although that's not a bad thing. It means you have very fine control at low speed. Handy when it's so cold and the roads are wet. Then I was a bit surprised at how well the bike gathered speed further up the rev range, again in Eco mode.

Handling is completely different to the VFR and it'll be months before I'm fully adjusted to it. That's not to say it's bad though. There's no shortage of control with those bars, the bike feels light and it holds a line well.  I think nimble probably sums it up pretty well.

The headlight works better than I expected. I managed to fit the bike through the gap at the side of my house with a little wiggling. The bike is charging. That was easy, I plugged it in before switching the ignition off as it was handy to have the headlight on. It seemed to start charging straight away and then I turned the key off.

All-in-all, I'm really happy with my Zero so far. It looks and feels better than I had anticipated. I was prepared for some disappointment after having enjoyed riding the VFR for the last few months. I'm not disappointed at all! It's a very different riding experience but I like it. I thought I wouldn't abide Eco mode on a DS but it really was rather good. I'll probably use it whenever it's wet, at least until I'm familiar with the tyres.

I'll probably post some more tomorrow after my first commute. It has been quite a momentous day for me. Time to celebrate! [emoji4]

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Another 2014 DSP on the road.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 03:39:03 AM »

Congratulations. :) Ride safe, and I'm so glad you're happy with it!
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 03:58:22 AM »

Thank you Brian. If it wasn't for you, I might not have bothered.

Lipo423

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 12:06:47 PM »

I'm very glad you have finally got the bike. Enjoy, and ride safely!
Bikes: Kawa GPX 600, Suzuki GSX 750-R, Yamaha FZR 1000, Suzuki Lido 75, Peugeot SV 125, Suzuki Burgman 400, Suzuki Burgman 650, KTM EXC 250, 2012 Zero ZF9 - All of them sold -
2014 Zero SR 11.4, BMW C1 125, BMW R 850R

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 02:52:44 PM »

Congratulations, with this weather you'll just see an increased range when it gets warmer.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 02:59:53 PM »

Thanks Lipo, much appreciated. It has been a long haul. I had a long chat with a good friend of mine about buying a Zero in 2013, shortly after my first test ride. At the time it would almost twice as much to get one compared to the DSP deal. He's far more sensible than me and we more-or-less justified it over a couple of pints. In the cold light of day it didn't stack up though. I hadn't been commuting by bike for very long and I just couldn't commit to a purchase that would take four years to break even on.

At that point I might have walked away from the whole idea, if it wasn't for this forum.  Shortly afterwards Zero pulled out of the UK, so if I'd just checked Zero's website a year later I would have given up on the idea.

It's thanks to everyone who reads this post that I've realised a dream. This is definitely a sale that Zero can assign to this forum, along with Streetbike and their own hard work too.

I've probably written enough words here to write a small book, so here are some acknowledgements:

Justin, you've been a gentleman from the moment I met you here. Having someone in the UK who bought a Zero so early on, who is so enthusiastic, friendly and generous with your time has been fantastic! Thank you very much. It might seem like nothing to you, but it really makes a difference.

On the subject of making a difference, here are some of the names I can think of. Apologies if I miss anyone:

Ben, Richard, Lipo, Burton, Terry, Nigezero, Electric Cowboy, Stevewp, skademo, ctrlburn, the doctor, Erasmo, Gareth and many others. I've run out of time to search the grey cells (Cortez just came to mind), but you know who you are. I must mention Brian too. Our little spat was hurtful. It made me realise how much this forum has become part of my life. It's not nice falling out with people. In the end it strengthened my resolve. I'm glad you're back and posting away Brian. No hard feelings.

It's time for my first ever electric commute, on a bike at least. TTFN.

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 10:59:39 PM »

Glad to see you got your bike.  ;D
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

Lipo423

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 01:34:09 PM »

No problem, you are more than welcome.
The more you ride it, the more you will love it…electric bikes are here to stay…enjoy!!

Thanks Lipo, much appreciated. It has been a long haul. I had a long chat with a good friend of mine about buying a Zero in 2013, shortly after my first test ride. At the time it would almost twice as much to get one compared to the DSP deal. He's far more sensible than me and we more-or-less justified it over a couple of pints. In the cold light of day it didn't stack up though. I hadn't been commuting by bike for very long and I just couldn't commit to a purchase that would take four years to break even on.

At that point I might have walked away from the whole idea, if it wasn't for this forum.  Shortly afterwards Zero pulled out of the UK, so if I'd just checked Zero's website a year later I would have given up on the idea.

It's thanks to everyone who reads this post that I've realised a dream. This is definitely a sale that Zero can assign to this forum, along with Streetbike and their own hard work too.

I've probably written enough words here to write a small book, so here are some acknowledgements:

Justin, you've been a gentleman from the moment I met you here. Having someone in the UK who bought a Zero so early on, who is so enthusiastic, friendly and generous with your time has been fantastic! Thank you very much. It might seem like nothing to you, but it really makes a difference.

On the subject of making a difference, here are some of the names I can think of. Apologies if I miss anyone:

Ben, Richard, Lipo, Burton, Terry, Nigezero, Electric Cowboy, Stevewp, skademo, ctrlburn, the doctor, Erasmo, Gareth and many others. I've run out of time to search the grey cells (Cortez just came to mind), but you know who you are. I must mention Brian too. Our little spat was hurtful. It made me realise how much this forum has become part of my life. It's not nice falling out with people. In the end it strengthened my resolve. I'm glad you're back and posting away Brian. No hard feelings.

It's time for my first ever electric commute, on a bike at least. TTFN.
Bikes: Kawa GPX 600, Suzuki GSX 750-R, Yamaha FZR 1000, Suzuki Lido 75, Peugeot SV 125, Suzuki Burgman 400, Suzuki Burgman 650, KTM EXC 250, 2012 Zero ZF9 - All of them sold -
2014 Zero SR 11.4, BMW C1 125, BMW R 850R

ElectricZen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 02:53:08 PM »

Congrats!   I'm looking forward to your report on sport mode [emoji14]

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 07:14:40 PM »

Is there any appetite for a 2014 DS(P) review from yours truly? I'm sure the 2014 DS is well covered by journalists and owners by now. Let me know if you'd like something Bonkers style. ☺

stevewp

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 10:30:03 PM »

Nicely done fella. Really pleased to see you happy with the bike  😆

Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk

Testpilot1

• Testpilot1 / Charlie Boorman '' Long Way Down ''
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 06:59:38 PM »

Thanks for the shout out MostlyBonkers.
Congrats !!!! Looks like you guys are having fun,awesome,I'm envious :-)
Bleeding government !!!!! And just to rub it in,they announced this week about another 40 million for green cars,you have to chuckle

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/40-million-to-drive-green-car-revolution-across-uk-cities

Keep the  photo's and stories coming in boys,helps those of us that can only imagine,ride safe :-)

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016, 07:11:38 PM »

Thanks gents.

I nearly posted about that new announcement. I was going to say that OLEV seem to have other priorities other than our subsidy. I've emailed them three times since before Christmas and had no response.

I do hope it comes in time for March. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for everyone.
Pages: [1]