• April 27, 2024, 07:00:28 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Zeros in the cold  (Read 1004 times)

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile
Zeros in the cold
« on: January 19, 2016, 03:14:54 AM »

Aerostitch is riding an FX all winter in Duluth MN! Here is a link to the article.

https://www.aerostich.com/blog/zero-below-zero/

I can't wait to see how they fare with charging in cold weather as I've had a few issues myself! They made a heated blanket like their vests to wrap the batteries! Will contact them to see if this is available straightaway!

Say10

Erasmo

• View Profile
Re: Zeros in the cold
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 03:31:56 AM »

I was just thinking about the same matter, I know that somebody in the Netherlands had a cloth on his Brammo and he reported an increased range with it in cold weather:

Somebody on this forum also made a case for around the controller which worked.

Even if it isn't heated, some wind protection goes a long way.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 04:42:33 AM »

RideApart has picked up the story.  Kind of entertaining the way they tell it: 

https://rideapart.com/articles/aerostich-testing-zero-fx-reliability-putting-icy-hell
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 06:58:56 AM »

Someone else on the forum keeps their bike inside the house (which is heated) so charging and range don't get affected. The batteries start out warm and stay that way.

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 07:19:26 AM »

I brought my batteries inside to warm up, then tried charging with the QuiQ 96v and adapter. Not working, charger just reads fault no matter if hooked to batteries or not. I know the 3.3's are charged up, and believe the 2.6's are? This all started when I plugged both bikes into one circuit, which I now know is not recommended. The temp plummeted and while out shoveling I noticed the FX was not charging and would not even power up. I tried onboard along with QuiQ but nothing happened. Then I pulled the FX batts and put the FXS batts in the FX. It powered up and was registering a fault 21 which I guess is a contractor error. I will have to wait till it warms up a little (currently 1 degree) then I can run my garage heater and try putting the FX batts in the FXS and see what the status and see if they will charge. I still don't get why they won't charge out of bike with the QuiQ by itself. It is brand new!

nigezero

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 04:21:18 PM »

Holy granola! What's with the tyres on that blanketed Brammo? Slick front, dirt track rear!

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 09:58:02 PM »

theres a problem in that article:
five-year/100,000-mile warranty on its power packs,

that is only for the S models with their larger packs.
FX models only get 5 years/50,000 miles
Pages: [1]