• April 20, 2024, 10:03:37 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Zero Motorcycle wraps, Blue Chrome?  (Read 6818 times)

xmjsilverx

• View Profile
Re: Zero Motorcycle wraps, Blue Chrome?
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2016, 05:11:41 AM »

Thanks for the info.  I had already ordered the vvivid blue chrome which as far as I can tell is a quality product.  I opted not to do any platidip because at this time I am not looking for a matte finish.
2015 Zero SR
2018 Tesla Model 3 Dual

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2016, 08:24:08 AM »

Cool. Don't worry,  it's not too hard. It's easier if it has release valve holes, but it's not like you're doing a 5ft wide fender or hood. You can work out any bubbles easily.

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2016, 05:28:24 PM »

Whilst waiting for my SR I made plans to do this exact same wrap. I loved the blue chrome on the Mercedes electric concept. In the end I was happier with the red than expected and couldn't justify the cost.  I hope you can get it to work.

Semper Why

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2016, 01:05:50 AM »

Plasti-dip isn't the best long-term solution. It's awesome for any material that doesn't contact another surface, but you'll run into peeling etc where your knees contact or where you kick the tail because you're too lazy to lift your leg high enough when jumping on the bike.
Perhaps a better option would be Duracoat or Cerakote. Both of these are used in firearm finishes and can withstand just about anything you can throw at them. You can even get patterns. Most are oven-bake to finish, so you can do it at your house.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2016, 09:06:51 AM »

When I saw this thread go up, I thought about posting a rendering I made of what I wanted to do with my bike, but my photoshop skills are crap so I decided to just wait until the work was done.

It's done.

I realize purple isn't for everybody, but I love it. My only regret is that there isn't enough of it -- I'll probably remove some of the fake carbon fiber and replace it with more purple. I think I'm over the carbon fiber look.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2016, 09:10:21 AM »

This purple vinyl has a pretty cool trick: it's retroreflective. In normal light, it looks normal, but this is what it does under a camera flash in dark conditions. It's the same as the white stuff they use on stop signs, just a different color. Imagine what this will do under headlights!

Better pics next time I have good light.

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2016, 11:04:56 AM »

Awesome!  Any wrap or paint on my bike needs to be reflective in headlights. Almost all of my riding is done at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2016, 11:39:04 AM »

When I saw this thread go up, I thought about posting a rendering I made of what I wanted to do with my bike, but my photoshop skills are crap so I decided to just wait until the work was done.

It's done.

I realize purple isn't for everybody, but I love it. My only regret is that there isn't enough of it -- I'll probably remove some of the fake carbon fiber and replace it with more purple. I think I'm over the carbon fiber look.
How much did it cost? Did you remove the plastic and monolith yourself or did you just take the whole bike in?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

2014 Zero S

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2016, 02:11:17 PM »

That reflective effect looks super cool.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2016, 09:21:14 PM »

Not exactly an inspired background but at least it's nice morning light. Looks like I need to work on holding the camera steady, though!

I got a sample of the purple retroreflective vinyl, decided I liked it well enough to buy a whole roll. I was going to wrap it myself but I chickened out and took it to a shop. He charged me $200 labor, plus $16/square foot for the carbon fiber vinyl. He did a crappy job but that's almost a good thing -- I'm convinced now that I can do at least as good a job, and even with the job he did, it looks pretty good. I don't recall exactly but I think a 15" x 30' roll of the retroreflective purple cost me around $150, and it only took maybe half the roll.

He didn't remove the battery box, just the side cover on each side, and applied the purple to the battery box while the side cover was off. I'm sure it was easier to apply the carbon fiber to the side cover on the bench, too...it's the most complicated shape he covered.

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2016, 07:02:01 AM »

It's not my color but I still think it looks awesome! Especially lit up by headlights!

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

2014 Zero S

xmjsilverx

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2016, 08:17:04 AM »

Yeah purple isn’t for me but I do really like it and it's nice to see some zero's in something other than the stock colors.  I like the carbon fiber too but I can tell the front fender the lines are a bit wavy.  My vinyl got lost in the mail so I am waiting for them to reship it.
2015 Zero SR
2018 Tesla Model 3 Dual

xmjsilverx

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2016, 08:30:57 AM »

I got the wrap tonight and I noticed that it is already scratched.  I was worried it would scratch easily.  I attempted to work on the front fender and it is very difficult.  I have the fender off the bike so my wife has to try to support it from underneath.  I try to heat with one hand and hold the vinyl away with another but I don't seem to get enough stretch out to get rid of the wrinkles.  I am not giving up yet but I need another game plan or it's not going to happen.  :(
2015 Zero SR
2018 Tesla Model 3 Dual

ticobrahe

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2016, 10:13:42 PM »

so how did it turn out? were you able to get it done or did you go a different direction? Hope it worked out to your liking...

the zero SR I ordered mid- last week should be arriving this week. really want it to be all black (much like the new DSR color/paint). Still researching best (and affordable) ways to do this. Thinking vinyl film (not done by me... i failed coloring in elementary school) but perhaps not now that it seems there are a bunch of downsides.

anybody have any suggestions for alternatives to film or paint (don't think any other sensible solutions exist but worth asking)? anybody know of a good shop in LA region for this?
2016 Zero SR
2016 Honda CRF250L
2011 Triumph America

Semper Why

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2016, 09:01:36 AM »

anybody have any suggestions for alternatives to film or paint (don't think any other sensible solutions exist but worth asking)? anybody know of a good shop in LA region for this?
Look into Cerakote. It's an air-dry coating similar to paint but more durable. You can order the supplies and do it yourself or pay a professional. The firearms community has been using it for colors & patterns for years and they beat the snot out of their stuff.

If you're looking for something other than a wrap you put on your plastic and not a liquid that hardens into a coating... I think you're out of luck. The only other technique I can think of is to use your plastic to create a mold and manufacture your own out of whatever material you want. A carbon fiber Zero would be pretty awesome, but it would be more of a PITA than paint.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4