• April 23, 2024, 02:25:15 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Zero Motorcycle wraps, Blue Chrome?  (Read 6819 times)

xmjsilverx

• View Profile
Zero Motorcycle wraps, Blue Chrome?
« on: January 10, 2016, 11:39:51 PM »

I am already bored of the red on my Zero SR.  I am thinking about doing a wrap so I can easily undo it at some point.  My first thought was a carbon fiber wrap with some electric blue accents (I am still working on a photoshop of that).  I also stumbled on blue chrome wraps and thought that might look kind of neat on my bike.  What do you think of this?  Does anyone have any custom paint or wraps on their Zero?

2015 Zero SR
2018 Tesla Model 3 Dual

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
Re: Zero Motorcycle wraps, Blue Chrome?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 12:43:10 AM »

I like the blue chrome! I am planning to do a wrap in the early spring. I am curious to see how good it looks, how easy it is to remove (just use a heat gun?) and find out if it will start to peel off on its own or gets dull or scratched quickly.
2014 Zero S

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 02:04:51 AM »

I approve of vinyl and the color. I've applied a vinyl wrap to the side panels on my V-Strom before (double-curved, very challenging for my first wrap) and will likely do it on my Zero soon when I have time.

Some vouch for Plasti Dip which would probably work for the lower panels.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

xmjsilverx

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 02:32:16 AM »

Thanks, glad you like it.  I will not be doing it myself.  I am waiting for a quote from a local shop.  I can't imagine it would be too expensive.  I am going to try to photoshop my carbon fiber and electric blue accents idea but I think it's going to be hard for me to get that to look real.
2015 Zero SR
2018 Tesla Model 3 Dual

xmjsilverx

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 03:35:30 AM »

Here is somewhat of an idea of how the carbon and blue accent would look.  I am not exactly sure what style the accent would be but this is my first attempt.

2015 Zero SR
2018 Tesla Model 3 Dual

Ashveratu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 04:59:57 AM »

I believe if they came from the factory looking like that, their sales would increase tenfold. That looks amazing.
2022 Energica Esseesse 9 RS Bormio Ice
2018 Tesla Model 3 Metallic Red wrap (Black) LR AWD

2020 Harley Livewire Fusion Yellow (traded in)
2014 Brammo Empulse in Yellow (Sold)
2013 Zero S 11.4 - Black (returned to Zero)

xmjsilverx

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 05:18:42 AM »

Thanks, I feel like I didn't even get it quite right.  I think it would actually look even better in person.
2015 Zero SR
2018 Tesla Model 3 Dual

PhreaK

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 07:34:20 AM »

First thing I did when I got the SR was to black it out. Just plasti-dipped it for a quick / cheap / easy to remove trial, but it's starting to peel where it's rubbed now though so time for a full wrap. Quotes I've gotten so far are pretty ridiculous though due to the tank fairing being a bit angular and a pain to do neatly.

The Chrome wraps do look the goods if done nicely. Saw a new H2 with silver chrome the other day. Looking at scooters for the girlfriend currently and she's been talking about a 'holographic wrap' if that's your type of thing.

Of your mock ups though, personally I'd got for the Blue chrome over highlights. Fake carbon fiber always comes across a little tacky in my books.
2014 Zero SR

ZEM Tahiti

• Zero Emission Motorcycles & Scooters Tahiti
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 09:53:56 AM »

This color is really really awesome plus has something electric!

Can you send some pictures  when done?

As there is only 3 elements to paint, why don't you go for real paint, with any auto body ?
ZEM Tahiti stands for Zero Emission Motorcycles in Tahiti. Our island size is perfect for the electric range.

xmjsilverx

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 07:03:36 AM »

Well I got the quote back today on the wrap.  $1300.  Way way over what I had guessed.  I may talk to someone about paint but unless some other place can do the wrap for a fraction of that cost I will not be doing a wrap.  I wanted the wrap because I thought it would be cheaper (wrong) plus it is easily undone and things like chrome and carbon fiber can be done.
2015 Zero SR
2018 Tesla Model 3 Dual

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 07:54:35 AM »

A DIY wrap can be cheap but obviously it's more involved and can be frustrating. I wouldn't try a complex pattern, but a single shade should be reasonable. Anyway, what you're quoted for is skilled labor. You can't get around that for a complex fairing shape.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

xmjsilverx

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 08:28:47 AM »

The material is pretty cheap.  I bought a small section of the blue chrome and I'll try it out on the front fender in a few weeks.  If it goes well I will attempt the rest of the bike.
2015 Zero SR
2018 Tesla Model 3 Dual

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2016, 12:48:28 PM »

Have you thought about plasti dip?

PhreaK

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2016, 07:54:47 PM »

Plasti-dip isn't the best long-term solution. It's awesome for any material that doesn't contact another surface, but you'll run into peeling etc where your knees contact or where you kick the tail because you're too lazy to lift your leg high enough when jumping on the bike. Or maybe that's just me... That being said, it's awesome to trial a colour before going for something more permanent / expensive.

Best I've been quoted for a matte black vinyl wrap is AU$750. I've just got pricing through for black plastics from the local dealer and I can pick up tank, tail and front fender new for $379. For that price difference, I can live with the gloss finish.
2014 Zero SR

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2016, 09:33:41 PM »

You want the 1080 series vinyl from 3M... Its pretty easy to work with, just watch some how-to videos online and try at it.

A quick search on Amazon shows it as $15-18 for 1ft of a 5ft wide roll.. since you're doing smaller parts, a 2ft section could do the whole bike... or atleast be enough to play with.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=3m+1080+blue&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3A3m+1080+blue
I personally would do the 1080-G47 "Gloss Intense Blue". The metallics are too "flaky" for my taste.
The solid colors are easiest to work with. Anything with patterns or textures shows if you do it crooked compared to another part next to it.

3M also sends out sample packs of colors/textures for free.. I took a pic of one for you:

larger pic:  http://fastgm.com/travis/20160112_102024.jpg
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 09:35:54 PM by MrDude_1 »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4