• April 25, 2024, 04:30:00 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How to semi-permanently disable ABS on a 2015 ZERO FX(possibly other bikes)  (Read 2977 times)

BenS

• Adelaide, South Australia
    • View Profile

***For those who would rather not read the full story: ABS is disabled by removal of the 25A ABS pump fuse, accessed by removing the front battery pack.***

I found the ABS feature on my 2015 ZERO FX to be undesirable, and literally dangerous for off-road riding(I came very close to ending up stuck in a stinky mangrove bog hole one time, when I forgot to turn it off!). Thankfully, ZERO appears to have known this, and did provide a way to turn ABS off at start-up, by holding down the "ADJ" and "MODE" buttons. Although it can be turned off, I hated having to do that every time I turned the bike on, especially if out adventure riding, and turning the bike off and back on frequently(to save power, of course!). Not only that, but I'd have to make sure I remembered to turn it off, and was constantly second guessing myself! After that, I would also have to cycle through the mode switch every time, just to get back to the previously set riding mode.

So, recently, I discovered in a Youtube comment, that ABS can be turned off semi-permanently on a vehicle, just by removing the fuse! It's apparently an old trick used by mechanics while working on brakes(handy to know, too!). I got excited, and could barely wait to see if that trick would work on my FX; I was worried that somehow the main computer would recognize that the fuse was missing, and refuse to power the motor, like the one time I disconnected the ABS sensor in an attempt to disable ABS!

To my surprise and relief, pulling the fuse did disable ABS! I'm very, very happy about that! A side effect is that the ABS warning symbol will appear on the dash, but that could be a good thing if someone else rides your bike.

This should work on any bike, but on a 2015 ZERO FX, you just need to pull out the front battery pack to gain access to the 25A ABS pump fuse; it's enclosed in an pinkish coloured holder. Check the manual on page 5.28 if you're unsure. I've got my fuse duct taped to the outside of the holder so that it doesn't get lost, or for if I ever need to refit it.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 06:23:57 PM by BenS »
2015 FX 5.7, DIY Electric "Jesse James" chopper bicycle, and DIY Electric 26" Lowrider bicycle. ('10 KTM 530exc, '06 GasGas EC250, '06 YZ450F, '06 GSXR1000.)

Ndm

• View Profile

I don't have an fx but it seems to me if you wanted to you could wire in a switch for simple on and off
2013 zero S  ZF13.0 , 2017 chevy bolt, 2008 IGO Titan bike

BenS

• Adelaide, South Australia
    • View Profile

I suppose you could, knowing now that the bike will still run, but for me, I just wanted ABS gone, and this was a very easy solution.
2015 FX 5.7, DIY Electric "Jesse James" chopper bicycle, and DIY Electric 26" Lowrider bicycle. ('10 KTM 530exc, '06 GasGas EC250, '06 YZ450F, '06 GSXR1000.)

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog

I don't have an fx but it seems to me if you wanted to you could wire in a switch for simple on and off

I guess it's good to have options : )

- Want to turn it off for the duration of a ride? With kickstand down and motor switched off, hold MODE + ADJ until ABS blinks
- Want to turn it off forever? Pull the fuse
- Want to switch it on/off frequently, or hold for multiple rides? Wire in a switch

I almost never ride dirt / gravel, so I would just leave it on.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

MrDude_1

• View Profile

- Want to turn it off forever? Pull the fuse
Id amend this...

- Want to turn it off until you decide you need it again? Pull the fuse.
- Want to turn it off forever? Order two new custom brake hoses  and place between the master cyl and the caliper... remove the rest including the wiring, and then code it out or desolder the ABS LED from the gauge cluster.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site

FYI (just confirmed) If you have a DigiNow dongle or serial access to the OBD-II port, you can also disable ABS in the firmware with a quick settings adjustment.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

MrDude_1

• View Profile

FYI (just confirmed) If you have a DigiNow dongle or serial access to the OBD-II port, you can also disable ABS in the firmware with a quick settings adjustment.
do you have any technical details on doing this?
I have a canbus to arduino to PC connection, so I can send/receive anything... I just have to know what to send.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site

do you have any technical details on doing this?
I have a canbus to arduino to PC connection, so I can send/receive anything... I just have to know what to send.

I'll share privately.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

laramie LC4

• View Profile

i tried to remove the ABS pump fuse on my '16 FXS and everything seemed fine but had no throttle input when twisted. can some some confirm that this is still valid for the new bikes?

thanks,

laramie  ;)
ZERO- '16 FX-S
KTM- 990R, 525EXC
Pages: [1]