• March 19, 2024, 12:54:01 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: App reading only 14.5 kWh on S (13kwh) with power tank.  (Read 1072 times)

dansheibley

• View Profile
App reading only 14.5 kWh on S (13kwh) with power tank.
« on: December 31, 2015, 10:49:21 PM »

Just picked up my 2016 S with power tank. At 100% state of charge the app only reads 14.5 kWh. Anybody have an idea about this? The website specs say it should be 15.9 kWh (but it also lists on the website that nominal charge is 14 kWh on the website)
I figured some of you guys might have a better clue than I. I called customer support but obviously nobody picked up and i left a message - Dan

ultrarnr

• View Profile
Re: App reading only 14.5 kWh on S (13kwh) with power tank.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 10:57:11 PM »

The nominal capacity of the 2016 S with PT is 14.0 kWh so you are good. 15.9 kWh is the maximum capacity which you are unlikely to ever see. Check check on their web site full the full defintion of what "nominal capacity is.

dansheibley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 10:59:48 PM »

Thats what I was hoping. It just weirded me out that the number 14.5 was exactly 1/2 between 13 and 15.9 so I thought maybe half the cells of the power tank weren't functioning properly or weren't hooked up. Also it is showing a range of 122 miles. Where does that number come from? The expected range based on how you've driven the bike over its entire lifetime or is that updated on the fly?

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 11:08:54 PM »

These bikes give me way more of an emotional reaction than most anything else I've bought.  Any little issue really bums me out but it is just the flip side of how happy it makes me when all is well with it.  The bike always keeps some juice on hand to protect the battery just a good "more protection than you need" approach.  So how do you like the bike?

dansheibley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 11:25:10 PM »

I've had it for 24 hrs. And didn't want to take it out on the slick roads too much. Yesterday driving back from the Uhaul place the roads were nice and dry. I love it. Compared to the 2012 the seat is a definite upgrade, however my only gripe is the distance between your rear end and the footpeg is shorter and i've had 7 knee surgeries so keeping my knee bent for a long period of time can be uncomfortable. I'll get used to it though. Acceleration is phenomenal compared with the '12. I'm actually glad I didn't seriously contemplate getting the SR only because I'd be tempted to ride even faster. The S is probably more than enough for me.

I used the app and just wonder if in that interface when I change settings and want to use that riding profile do I switch to the "custom" mode on the bike or the eco. I'm assuming custom, however i read elsewhere that app changes eco mode settings (i'd think it would be altering the custom mode settings)

My biggest concern is that the state of charge was only showing 14.5 kWh. It would be nice if they told you the app registers the nominal capacity (if that truly is what it does).

I mounted my go pro on the left front turn signal stalk as far medial as I could and it is pretty stable. That part doesn't flex, only the outer half does. It also provides a really great view of the road (I posted pics of that on facebook).

I'm moving to Montana in 6 months and needed to upgrade to a '16 now or never, plus by doing it before 2016 hit I was able to benefit from the tax credits that wouldn't have helped me next year due to income reasons, so overall I'm really really happy and think I'll have plenty more opportunities for great and safer rides out there compared to Pennsylvania.

I'm thinking about using the tail tidy and replacing the rear fender on the bike, but I remember a post about how that leads to a bit more splash hitting your back. Don't know if that's true or not. Also I dont' want to have to worry about rewiring any lights.

melbrader

• Having Fun With My Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 11:34:40 PM »

I just got my 2016 SR with a tank about a month ago and my app shows 14.49 so I created a ticket in the same app and they also told me that it should be around 14.0. so it sounds like to me we are both good when it comes to our power capacity. I got my GoPro mounted on my helmet but have not had it out yet with it so we will see what happens with that.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 08:52:22 PM by melbrader »

dansheibley

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 11:37:26 PM »

Thanks for that dual confirmation. Freakout can now stop - sorry all for my posts here and on FB. I just literally have no time to take this 2 hrs away for repairs. Super excited for better weather.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2016, 01:49:45 AM »

The estimated range calculation changes all of the time depending upon how you have been riding that day.  Ride slow and the range goes up.  Ride fast and the range goes down.   ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

BenS

• Adelaide, South Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2016, 09:48:40 AM »

I used the app and just wonder if in that interface when I change settings and want to use that riding profile do I switch to the "custom" mode on the bike or the eco. I'm assuming custom, however i read elsewhere that app changes eco mode settings (i'd think it would be altering the custom mode settings)
Yeah, that's had me confused too, and I'd been looking all through the app, trying to find the "custom" settings page. So, I've just played around with those "eco" settings, and it changed the "custom" mode behavior. I'd prefer that they labelled it "custom".
2015 FX 5.7, DIY Electric "Jesse James" chopper bicycle, and DIY Electric 26" Lowrider bicycle. ('10 KTM 530exc, '06 GasGas EC250, '06 YZ450F, '06 GSXR1000.)

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2016, 01:58:26 PM »

It's time once again to explain the famous Zero battery energy calculation:

Normally the true energy a battery can have is calculated by taking nominal voltage time the Ah capacity of the battery = Wh. or divide by 1000 for kWh units

However for some reasons commercial and rebate based on battery capacity reasons ( I think) , Zero calculate battery energy ( the kWh) by taking the MAXIMUM voltage the battery have time the  capacity in Ah...

So instead of using the NOMINAL voltage they use the MAXIMUM voltage in the calculation...

Maximum voltage is only present at the begining of discharge when it is full.. then it drop...

The NOMINAL voltage is like the AVERAGE voltage the battery have from 100% to 0%. The average is the voltage measured at the battery terminal when it have 50% of energy and being disconnected from the  load.

for exemple let's take the 2013 S that had 100Ah and 102V nominal: the total energy the battery have is 100Ah x 102V = 10200Wh ( 10.2kWh)
But if you use Full battery voltage you get 100Ah x 116V = 11.6kWh...

Doc
Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile
https://youtu.be/iVMPBnfhukM
T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2016, 09:29:50 PM »

The Dr. is in the house :)
The app issue is something I can give some help on.  The app started in 2013, which is the year I have.  To connect to blue tooth you rock the mode switch back and forth 13 times (yes 13) since it is only a rocker switch you only get sport and eco.  The custom settings you choose for your speed and torque replace your stock eco settings.  Later bikes included a separate "custom" mode but the app still shows it as eco mode just an app glitch but when you set up your torque and regen it will change your "custom" mode while your eco mode stays stock.

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
    • Miller's Premium Brand Electrons : YouTube
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2016, 12:50:52 AM »

It is quite possible that is just a software holdover from 2015.

They may not have released an update with constants for the 2016 yet.

Just an idea.

BenS

• Adelaide, South Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2016, 09:07:10 AM »

The app issue is something I can give some help on.  The app started in 2013, which is the year I have.  To connect to blue tooth you rock the mode switch back and forth 13 times (yes 13) since it is only a rocker switch you only get sport and eco.  The custom settings you choose for your speed and torque replace your stock eco settings.  Later bikes included a separate "custom" mode but the app still shows it as eco mode just an app glitch but when you set up your torque and regen it will change your "custom" mode while your eco mode stays stock.
Thanks NEW2elec. That explains it. A different, updated version for each year model would be nice, but at least it still works!
2015 FX 5.7, DIY Electric "Jesse James" chopper bicycle, and DIY Electric 26" Lowrider bicycle. ('10 KTM 530exc, '06 GasGas EC250, '06 YZ450F, '06 GSXR1000.)
Pages: [1]