• April 26, 2024, 10:49:08 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: DigiNow Super Charger Eligible for 30% Federal Tax Credit  (Read 1405 times)

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
DigiNow Super Charger Eligible for 30% Federal Tax Credit
« on: December 23, 2015, 08:10:47 PM »

As someone who purchased a Zero S in 2014 I'm a little bummed that our elected officials in the U.S. would leave me and others like me out in the cold regarding the 10% federal tax credit on EV's.

But I cheered up a little when I was looking at Zero's website and I see...

As an added bonus, an additional tax credit was approved which covers electric motorcycle chargers (Zero Quick Charger) and the Zero Charge Tank with a 30% tax credit up to $1,000.
http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/incentives/

8)  This credit should definitely apply to the DigiNow Super Charger! For those that purchased one from the original production run should get a $900 credit!  And of course, those that buy one in 2016 would also qualify for this credit.  This effectively brings the purchase price down to $2100 which is a total steal!  So if you didn't get in on the initial production run because the price was a little too steep, get in line if this credit brings it back into your price range!

Congratulations Brandon! Looks like you might have a hit product on your hands  ;D
2014 Zero S

MrDude_1

• View Profile
Re: DigiNow Super Charger Eligible for 30% Federal Tax Credit
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 08:37:30 PM »

Do you have a link to the actual tax code? or a number of some kind I could look into?
Since I build my own chargers, I am interested in seeing if I can apply this or not.... and that would be very dependent upon how its worded.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 09:24:41 PM »

I thought usually accessories like that only qualified if you purchase them at the same time as the vehicle. Do you know that it applies for a stand-alone purchase?
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

mrwilsn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 01:52:55 AM »

On Zero's site they say

As a reminder, these tax credits are based on the final bill of sale price for the motorcycle to the customer (including any configuration accessories and any additional batteries purchased on the same invoice). Cost of the vehicle can be based on the total bill of sale price, less taxes, fees, and registration. If the product was discounted, the tax credit applies to the discounted price.

To ensure eligibility for the 30% federal tax credit on charging equipment, it is recommended that these accessories be purchased on a separate invoice which can be used as documentation for tax purposes.

Translation....your bike plus extra batteries, side cases, top box and any other accessories purchased at the time of sale are eligible for a 10% rebate so put them all on the same invoice but keep your charger(s) on a separate invoice because they qualify for a 30% rebate and you want to keep it on its own.

I'm not sure that means they don't have to be purchased "at the same time" but it sounds promising to me.  Worst case people like you and me that purchased our chargers already don't get the rebate and anyone that already has a bike and just wants to get a charger doesn't get the rebate.  But anyone that buys a bike in 2016 should also be able to get a charger "at the same time" and get the rebate.

I'm sure the exact wording of the bill, which I haven't had a chance to look for yet, will make things clear as mud.  ;D

Of course, always consult your tax professional!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 01:58:48 AM by mrwilsn »
2014 Zero S

mrwilsn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 03:02:08 AM »

Turns out this is an extension of the Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit.  In the omnibus bill all they did is change the termination date from December 31, 2014  to December 31, 2016.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-114hr2029enr/pdf/BILLS-114hr2029enr.pdf

SEC. 182. EXTENSION OF CREDIT FOR ALTERNATIVE FUEL VEHICLE REFUELING PROPERTY.
(a) IN GENERAL.—Section 30C(g) is amended by striking ‘‘December 31, 2014’’ and inserting ‘‘December 31, 2016’’.
(b) EFFECTIVE DATE.—The amendment made by this section shall apply to property placed in service after December 31, 2014.

Here is the original wording for the credit.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/30C

You can find the tax form here and it has a definition for a "Qualified Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property"

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-access/f8911_accessible.pdf

Qualified Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property
Qualified alternative fuel vehicle refueling property is any property (other than a building or its structural components)
used for either of the following.
• To store or dispense an alternative fuel (defined below) other than electricity into the fuel tank of a motor vehicle propelled by the fuel, but only if the storage or dispensing is at the point where the fuel is delivered into that tank.
• To recharge an electric vehicle, but only if the recharging property is located at the point where the vehicle is recharged.
In addition, the following requirements must be met to qualify for the credit.
• You placed the refueling property in service during your tax year.
• The original use of the property began with you.
• The property is not used predominantly outside the United States.
• If the property is not business/investment use property, the property must be installed on property used as your main home.

Looks to me like the DigiNow Super Charger will definitely qualify.  I actually think the charge tank on the Zero is a bigger stretch than claiming credit for a DigiNow Super Charger...the DigiNow Super Charger can be used off board and it can be used for other vehicles besides just the Zero.

In fact, this is for any charging infrastructure which would include putting a charger in your garage or on the side of your house.  Installing a NEMA 14-50 or J1772 outlet in your garage should qualify.

I live in an apartment but I have a spot in the three car garage on the property.  I have been trying to convince my landlord to install a NEMA 14-50 in the garage ever since I put down my order for the Super Charger.  Maybe this tax credit will push him over the edge!

Of course, always consult your tax professional!
2014 Zero S

mrwilsn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 03:12:43 AM »

I remember someone talking about convincing a restaurant to install a NEMA 14-50 or J1772....tell them to file for the credit...it counts.

And to everyone else, tell all your favorite spots about the credit so that maybe more places will have charging on site and trips like benswing's might be a little more enjoyable!
2014 Zero S

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 04:00:26 AM »

I remember someone talking about convincing a restaurant to install a NEMA 14-50 or J1772....tell them to file for the credit...it counts.

That was me, and good call -- I'll tell them next time I ride up there, probably in the next week or so.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2015, 04:02:12 AM »

Yes, convince good restaurants with WiFi to put in charging stations or NEMA 14-50!  Then I'll come visit!  [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

TfuRdr15

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2015, 10:38:38 PM »

Sorry to thread hack, but how exactly can I order a DigiNow charger?  I've tried their Facebook page, but haven't heard back for a while.  Thanks in advance.

mrwilsn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2015, 12:56:26 PM »

Sorry to thread hack, but how exactly can I order a DigiNow charger?  I've tried their Facebook page, but haven't heard back for a while.  Thanks in advance.
The initial production run is supposed to deliver in January. They may not be taking any new orders until they ship the initial production run.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

2014 Zero S

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2015, 01:03:12 PM »

As long as we are thread hacking, can someone with a DigiNow dongle give me the
pairing numbers. I switched phones, and, can't seem to find the paper that came with it.
Thanks
Ed
Pages: [1]