• April 27, 2024, 09:55:56 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A "detuned" Zero for the Euro market  (Read 809 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
A "detuned" Zero for the Euro market
« on: December 13, 2015, 05:17:21 AM »

Here is a report by Cleanrider regarding a 125cc-equalivant Zero for the European market. I guess I missed the announcement, but it makes sense if they can find young customers that have enough money to purchase a low-power S or FXS at full-power prices. Hopefully the bikes can be brought up to full power once the owner gets their unrestricted license. Here is a link to the article:  http://cleanrider.com/125cc-equivalent-zero-s-and-fxs-for-europe/#comment-17590
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
Re: A "detuned" Zero for the Euro market
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 06:28:22 AM »

The 2012 models were sold locally as 125s and could be ridden on a lower class of licence. However because of the way they are classified as continuous power, they would smoke any genuine ICE 'learner legal' motorbike.  Its a shame that news didnt get out because there are plenty of trust fund babies with the money to buy a Zero here.

Ranga

• 2015 Zero FX 5.7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 03:14:08 PM »

It might be a good idea for Zero to bring back the XU for European markets only.  All they would have to do is take the FXS, put in the XU's 250 amp controller and the old motor.  That way the bike could get the 125cc credit and be less expensive than the standard models.  Why offer more performance than it's electronically governed to allow.  Sure, its one more bike to get through homologation, but if that's what Europe wants...
2015 Zero FX

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 09:27:11 PM »

That is what the xu was made for and it didn't sell; I think they sold more in the states.... I know 6 people who have xu's local
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 09:31:33 PM »

I don't know if the regulation allows it but can't you just limit the controller to an 11kW equilavent?

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 09:34:50 PM »

That's what's it seems they did, then with a small fee retune and you have a fx, fxs etc
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 02:27:21 AM »

Coincidentally, this came up under the general discussion category. Doc pitches in too and here's a link so you don't miss it:

Advice needed
http://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=5300
Pages: [1]