• March 28, 2024, 08:28:11 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Zero FX vs KTM 500 EXC  (Read 6059 times)

acacia1731

• View Profile
Re: Zero FX vs KTM 500 EXC
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2016, 08:29:14 PM »

I see that people are saying it can't handle "serious" off-road riding.  Could you guys define that by chance?

Good question...  I was in a similar position a few months ago, researching a lot until I finally pulled the trigger on a '15 FX.

Here are three videos that I think capture a good range of conditions:

I would have no concerns riding the FX in these conditions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD7XU59GM_o

The FX should be plenty capable in these conditions too, but suspension may not be as good as a KTM.  Electric motor will probably make the FX easier to control on the rocks/hills though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrBHy8qxHco

I often ride my RM250 in these "serious off-road" conditions, but I'm not yet convinced that I would want to subject the FX to them on a regular basis.  It is probably capable, but durability is TBD.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke-3UuQycJM
2015 Zero FX (off-road setup), 2013 KTM 250SX, Kuberg Cross Hero, STACYC 16EDrive

StraydogEOMFD

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2016, 10:56:33 PM »

Oh yea, I've watched those and every other Zero FX video I can find on youtube.  I pretty much check for new ones and demo ride videos every two to three days.  That Rampart Range video looks like so much freaking fun.

What about chargers?  Do you need 4 of those Quiq chargers to get the 1.2-1.7 charge time?  Is the Elcon from Hollywood Electrics better?  Or is there a better alternative?  Whichever bike I go for (most likely the FXS over the EXC) I really want to do supermoto track days so I'd need to get the best charging setup I could.  I've got a Honda EU2000i generator so I'm pretty sure it can keep up with the accessory and on board chargers.

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2016, 05:30:07 AM »

Oh yea, I've watched those and every other Zero FX video I can find on youtube.  I pretty much check for new ones and demo ride videos every two to three days.  That Rampart Range video looks like so much freaking fun.

What about chargers?  Do you need 4 of those Quiq chargers to get the 1.2-1.7 charge time?  Is the Elcon from Hollywood Electrics better?  Or is there a better alternative?  Whichever bike I go for (most likely the FXS over the EXC) I really want to do supermoto track days so I'd need to get the best charging setup I could.  I've got a Honda EU2000i generator so I'm pretty sure it can keep up with the accessory and on board chargers.

The best charging solution I am aware of right now is the DigiNow Super Charger.  They are delivering the first production batch soon and aren't taking new orders until the initial production run has been delivered.  They should be available for order again by spring time.  The DigiNow Super Charger should be able to provide 10kW which would charge a ZF6.5 FXS in about 40 minutes if your generator can provide over 40 amps at 240 volts.

Hypothetically, if you could charge a zero in UNDER 1 hour
2014 Zero S

StraydogEOMFD

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2016, 12:02:08 PM »

Thanks for the link, I've been trying to find some instructions on either building diy chargers on the forum or the best manufactured options but haven't found the right search combination yet.  I'm leaning towards the manufactured because while I have some good basic knowledge of circuitry and batteries, I'm by no means even close to the level a lot of you guys are at.  I skimmed this thread a while back but I need to go back through again but need to try to read through it for understanding some more.

And nope, my generator definitely can not handle that  ;D  I'd probably have to pick up a cheaper option that's noisy as hell and huge it sounds like but again, I'm quite ignorant of a lot of this stuff so I'll continue trying fix that through scouring this and other EV forums.

Skull_Kid

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2017, 07:00:55 AM »

Hopefully it's ok I revive my old topic.  I bought a new KTM 500 EXC two years ago and I've put over 4000km on it.  I love the bike but I still have that envy for the FX.  I don't enjoy the EXC above 80km/h so I'm curious how two years on, if any more of you have had a chance to try both the EXC and FX and what your thoughts are.  Off-road, the EXC is extremely capable but I'm not the jumping type so I'm guessing the FX would be plenty capable.  I love the hill climbs, cresting over big bumps with massive wheelies, rooster tails and just wandering the trails.

How reliable have your newer FX's have been, especially in off-roading?

StraydogEOMFD

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2017, 08:37:09 AM »

I bought a 500 EXC in early 2016, sold it by the end of the summer and bought a FXS in December of 2016.  I've had it at the very same track, ridden a bunch of local dirt roads/trails and commuted with it.  For me, the FXS is a much better fit.  While the EXC is without a doubt, far more capable performance/spec sheet wise I just have so much more fun on my Zero.  No clutch off road and a huge drop in maintenance were some of the hugest improvements for me.  I have a lot more fun at the track on my Zero too even though it's a bit heavier and not quite as much of a beastly bike.  I don't hit anything close to big air either so it's plenty fine.  I'm glad I went EXC first because it was an easy bike to sell (way easier than the FXS would have been) and now I know how it performs and what living with it is like.  Those oil changes are freaking weird and it was way too much bike for kart track supermoto for me.  I put a chain kit on it within the first few hundred miles and haven't looked back.

Just my two cents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqjWdMXlLy0&t=52s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9yuDThwD8U&t=26s
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 08:39:56 AM by StraydogEOMFD »
Pages: 1 2 [3]