• April 27, 2024, 08:47:02 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Zero FX vs KTM 500 EXC  (Read 6096 times)

Skull_Kid

• View Profile
Zero FX vs KTM 500 EXC
« on: December 11, 2015, 06:24:51 AM »

I'm just curious if anyone has ridden both the Zero FX and the KTM 500 EXC (or any similar lightweight dual sport) and what you liked/disliked about both.  I'm still contemplating an FX purchase but I'm curious to see how it compares.

acacia1731

• View Profile
Re: Zero FX vs KTM 500 EXC
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 07:52:55 AM »

It's not a KTM500, but I do have an RM250 (two stroke off-road bike) and I have an FX arriving tomorrow.  I'll be able to give a more detailed comparison in a few days, but here are my thoughts from the test ride (on road)...
  • The FX pulls harder where 3rd/4th gear would be on an ICE bike.  For example, the FX easily lifts the front wheel from 25-55mph.  I think the feeling of constant acceleration through this range is what sold me on getting the FX - it just feels awesome.  Watch some of the FX reviews on YouTube and you'll notice the reviewers almost get giddy as they pass through this power range!
  • The "instant"  and constant torque that electric bikes offer is real, but it didn't seem to "hit" the same way an ICE bike can when you pop the clutch or blip the throttle with the RPM's up.  For example, I'm not sure how well an FX will be able to hop the front wheel over a puddle or log.
  • The FX is MUCH smoother and quieter.
  • The FX will require MUCH less routine maintenance.
  • The FX will have 25-50% less range, and "fill-ups" are not instant.
  • The FX will probably be less durable over the long term if it will be seeing much off-road abuse.  For example, the frame is relatively thin, pressure washing may cause big issues, electronics/overheating issues are not yet uncommon, etc.  KTM has just had many more years to refine and work the bugs out of their designs...
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 07:55:29 AM by acacia1731 »
2015 Zero FX (off-road setup), 2013 KTM 250SX, Kuberg Cross Hero, STACYC 16EDrive

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 10:19:25 AM »

Yeah that KTM 500 EXC  was one of the bikes I was looking at along with a Triumph Tiger and the Suzuki DR650  I ended up going with the Zero DS for the range but I think the FX would blow mine away for pure fun factor. Here is a little link of a road speed test (not a race) between a FX and a KLR 650.   I think the KTM would do much better than the KLR but gives you some idea. 

Skull_Kid

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 08:36:42 PM »

Thanks for the information!  One of the main purposes of the Zero FX (or KTM) would be off-road use.  I'm not talking motocross-style jumping and big drops and such.  It'd be more exploration and travelling in the woods on trails.  Is the frame not sturdy enough for major off-roading?

Lipo423

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 10:32:33 PM »

I have ridden the FX and I owned a KTM 250 two stroke- which as pointed out by other member- is not an apple to apple comparison…however I did rode a 450 KTM also  ;)

Difficult call.

If you really want a 100% dirt bike (when I say 100%, I mean you are/will be a serious/demanding rider and need a performance machine to go with your friends), I would not go for the FX…however if you want a very light, yet powerful funny bike, then the FX is what you want.

Specifics?

KTM wins in chassis, brakes, tires, wheels, suspensions, handling, autonomy, overall build quality, residual value
FX wins in weight, torque band, instant power, economy, low-maintenance, low-noise, "green"

and, last, but not least, you will see a lot of KTM's, but very little FX  ;)
Bikes: Kawa GPX 600, Suzuki GSX 750-R, Yamaha FZR 1000, Suzuki Lido 75, Peugeot SV 125, Suzuki Burgman 400, Suzuki Burgman 650, KTM EXC 250, 2012 Zero ZF9 - All of them sold -
2014 Zero SR 11.4, BMW C1 125, BMW R 850R

Skull_Kid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 10:38:51 PM »

I rode a KTM 690 Enduro R and one of the big issues I had was the vibration, especially when going over 50MPH.  How is the FX in terms of vibration and overall wheel balance.  Is it smooth as butter and not bouncy when going that speed (or any speed)?

Lipo423

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 01:06:24 AM »

The 690 model is a different animal (I have also rode one, but the road Duke model). As a British would say "is not my cup of tea"
I personally would not follow that route…in my opinion the 450 -or 400- are the funniest in the 4 stroke range. The 690 has a very big cylinder and, well, you know what that means…not very funny, heavier, narrower power curve, etc…(KTM has worked a lot in reducing vibrations and other staff, but you cannot run against physics)

The FX does not vibrate at all, well, I mean in comparing with the internal combustion models we just spoke about.
At 50mph you would not feel any vibration.
Bikes: Kawa GPX 600, Suzuki GSX 750-R, Yamaha FZR 1000, Suzuki Lido 75, Peugeot SV 125, Suzuki Burgman 400, Suzuki Burgman 650, KTM EXC 250, 2012 Zero ZF9 - All of them sold -
2014 Zero SR 11.4, BMW C1 125, BMW R 850R

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 07:33:18 AM »

Zero has a video on You Tube showing guys going over the Rubicon trail on FX's and there are some race videos and Rampart range video that the 13 year old me would have given anything to do.  Over all though the KTM would be a stronger bike if your going really rough but the lack of noise with the FX is something special all by itself.  Test ride one before you do anything because they aren't cheap but I think you'll enjoy it.

mguw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2015, 01:52:33 PM »

Hello

I had a WR200 and a duke 690,  sold both one week after getting the FX '15

Couldn't stand anymore the noise,  vibration and smell associated to a lack of instant torque (yes even with the Duke....)

The FX is so fun and easy thanks to this smooth and yet very strong  torque.

Stop at the bottom of a 2 floor stairway,  touching the first stair with your front wheel, turn the throttle and there you climb it all the way up effortlessly...

I enjoy riding it on tracks where you are welcome by trekkers and mountain bikers.   Couldn't go there anymore with the 200WR

My video

Now the bad and very frustrating part,  this fun lasts only 20km then the power decreases.   All over I can do 45km but only the 20 first have full torque.

Riding very smoothly you can achieve 80km but what for? No fun doing this.

So the point is that you can forget racing with friends,  you'll win easily the first 3-4 rounds and then they catch up when you overheat and draw your battery.   Very frustrating.   I hope the 2016 is better on overheating

But still love it for what it gives me the first 20km

A+ Marcel
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 01:54:49 PM by mguw »

Skull_Kid

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2015, 07:18:36 PM »

Just out of curiosity, do you have the 2.8 or 5.7 model?

mguw

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2015, 12:45:38 AM »

I have the 5.7, I tried with only one power pack so like the 2.8,  it becomes very lightweight which is nice,  but power is not enough, no more wheeling,  not enough fun

A+ Marcel

webster

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2015, 01:42:18 AM »

I just purchased a demo 2015 FX. I have been riding motocross bikes for over 20 yrs. The biggest issue I have is the limited range and power reduction when the motor gets hot but the fun factor and being very quite make it a blast to ride. Especially in areas where noise is an issue. Being able to ride it fast around you're home is a huge plus. The KTM 500 is a better overall dirt bike, but the FX is better on the street plus you won't piss off the neighbors.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 02:10:33 AM »

Also out of curiosity, how do you lot think that a FX will fare on the Red Bull knock-out?

acacia1731

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2015, 12:44:29 AM »

Received my 2015 FX 5.7 over the weekend, equipped with knobbies, and did a quick test ride on some wooded hills.

Updated/additional thoughts based on my first ride:
  • The FX will climb hills just as well as the KTM, and maybe even better.  There is plenty of power, and it's surprisingly easy to control when you don't have to worry about gears and RPM's.  The FX had no problems climbing the hills in my woods, which are difficult to walk up and almost impossible to walk up when slick (see pic attached).
  • The FX is easier to wash than I expected, but I would not be comfortable taking it out an a super-muddy day.  The front wheel flings a lot of mud into the heat sink on the lower-front of the bike and the chain can fling mud into the motor area where it gets trapped by the skid plate. Removing a lot of mud from these areas would be tough without high pressure water, which would be no problem for the KTM but is not recommended for the FX.
  • I haven't experienced any FX heat issues yet, but based on replies from mguw and webster, it probably a matter of time.  I have sat along the trail waiting for 4-stroke KTM's to stop boiling over too, but it's rare.
  • The FX is top heavy.  I let it lean a little in my garage when looking at something down low and it dropped before I could stop it.  I expected to have more control when holding one grip from the side, as I would have with a gas bike.  Time will tell how this affects my riding.
  • The easy startup makes the FX very tempting to ride often (at home).  Knowing that you can turn the key and go, anytime and without disturbing anyone, makes it easy to justify hopping on.  Example - my wife wanted me to deliver a Christmas card to a mailbox down the street yesterday (in a suburban neighborhood) = perfect opportunity to hop on the FX for a few minutes!
  • My guess is that I'll ride the FX more often, but will need to keep my RM250 also for serious off-road trips.  I love the FX's fun factor and lack of noise, but if I had to choose just one to keep, the gas bikes are more practical for serious off-roading.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 12:49:55 AM by acacia1731 »
2015 Zero FX (off-road setup), 2013 KTM 250SX, Kuberg Cross Hero, STACYC 16EDrive

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2015, 02:47:28 AM »

The 690 model is a different animal (I have also rode one, but the road Duke model). As a British would say "is not my cup of tea"
I personally would not follow that route…in my opinion the 450 -or 400- are the funniest in the 4 stroke range. The 690 has a very big cylinder and, well, you know what that means…not very funny, heavier, narrower power curve, etc…(KTM has worked a lot in reducing vibrations and other staff, but you cannot run against physics)

The FX does not vibrate at all, well, I mean in comparing with the internal combustion models we just spoke about.
At 50mph you would not feel any vibration.

Sorry for OT but just FYI the enduro runs a much more aggressive cam and lower gearing than the duke and weighs quite a lot less. It's a different animal to the Duke. I had an SMC with a lot of weight saving and a fettled motor. It was brutal!
Pages: [1] 2 3