• April 24, 2024, 04:19:36 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: question about helmet  (Read 891 times)

bee13

• View Profile
question about helmet
« on: December 07, 2015, 08:32:24 PM »

hello guys,
Does anybody have custom helmets? I want to repaint my old scratched helmet. I know that painting of helmet is not so widespread, but I have a lot of free time now for this project. What technics are better? I watched Youtube, but it is better to get response from people who tried it. What paint and finish can you recommend?
Thanks
PS: now I have only tape sand paper and energica ego motorbike 

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: question about helmet
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 09:32:17 PM »

All I know about the subject is that you have to be very careful which type of paint you use.  All helmet manufacturers advise not to paint their helmets, especially the plastic ones, as the paint may damage and weaken the structural integrity of the helmet shell. You need professional advice to pick the right type of paint.  I certainly wouldn't use any oil-based paints and especially not lacquer.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

bee13

• View Profile
Re: question about helmet
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 04:39:22 PM »

All I know about the subject is that you have to be very careful which type of paint you use.  All helmet manufacturers advise not to paint their helmets, especially the plastic ones, as the paint may damage and weaken the structural integrity of the helmet shell. You need professional advice to pick the right type of paint.  I certainly wouldn't use any oil-based paints and especially not lacquer.

Yes, you are absolutely right. I could not imagine that the paint choice can be so hard. I have an idea to spray this one https://www.mrosupply.com/paint-painting-supplies/spray-paint/1386190_k07904000_krylon/ If it dries fast, it will prevent the surface from any dust. Then I will coat the ready surface with the polyurithane finish. I hope I will not make worse.
Pages: [1]