• March 29, 2024, 03:45:42 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: I'm taking the plunge!  (Read 2501 times)

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
I'm taking the plunge!
« on: December 05, 2015, 02:54:20 AM »

Many of you have probably wondered whether I'll ever join the ranks of forum members that own a Zero. It has been a long journey for me but today I managed to make the call I've got so close to a couple of times before.

When the Police spec DS bikes went on sale with Streetbike's dealership announcement I had only had my VFR for a month. I never expected a deal like that to come along. Three of the DSP bikes got snapped up in the first week. I was looking at the deal to chop my VFR in when a fourth got sold. A fifth became available but I wasn't able to commit to the deal at that point so I missed out on that too. However, one of the five came back on the market yesterday due to the customer having an unfortunate health issue.

After making a solemn promise to my wife that I will keep an electric bike for at least a couple of years, I leaped the final hurdle. She doesn't believe me of course...  This will be my fourth bike this year: Fazer 1000 > NC750S DCT > VFR 1200FD (also DCT) > 2014 DS. It has to stop!

Each bike has been fantastic at what it does. I've justified changing each bike in different ways but none of them have fulfilled the desire to go electric. I've kept coming back here because I'm just hooked on the idea. There are some big compromises to make but I'm hoping I can live with them.  I think the VFR is a fantastic bike. However, the realities of having a young family mean that it's like owning a yacht and only ever sailing around the estuary. I commute. Even when I do get chance to go for a ride on a weekend, time limits my range.  I can't really do long trips, which is a shame. Owning a sports tourer was wishful thinking with my commitments.

If anyone thinks I'm mad, please say so. I'm pretty excited about the opportunity to own a Zero at long last. No doubt I'll be letting you all know how it goes! If nothing else it will be a good experiment to see how the Zero copes with the rigours of an all weather commute into London every day.

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
Re: I'm taking the plunge!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 03:10:21 AM »

Does yours still have the light kills and flashers?

Congrats on joining the 14 police ds bikes they are fun  :)
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 03:15:57 AM »

If anyone thinks I'm mad, please say so.

You won't hear a peep out of me. The cold, hard reality most of us motorcyclists exist in, and the transportation needs thereof, are far better met by electric motorcycles than by ICE motorcycles. We all love the thought of a nice, relaxed, month-long tour of the countryside. We all love a brisk 200-mile ride in the mountains. But in reality, the majority of miles most of us put on are commuting miles. Nothing (other than maybe a new set of Adidas) is a better commuter than an electric motorcycle, which is also right on top of the "fun" scale too. And you CAN take nice rides on the weekend, too...just not quite as far. Ben and Terry prove that you can tour, as well...just not quite as fast.

I figure that in reality, my needs are 80% commuting, 15% pleasure rides and 5% errands and everything else. The electric bike absolutely destroys anything else for commuting or errand-running, and has given me some pretty wonderful pleasure rides too. I just can't see how anything else could even claim to be a better fit for the reality of my motorcycling needs.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 03:25:38 AM »

Doug S, you disappoint me, you forgot the most important motorcycle transportation need...
The absolute occasionally requirement to utterly thrash the car next to you off the lights.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 05:20:14 AM »

Thanks for the support guys. It's the fun factor I'm most intrigued about. What will it be like living with the bike? Will I get more pleasure out of my commute overall? I'm enjoying the daily blast down the motorway on my VFR but that will end. My route will change. I'm flipping my commute over from having a bike that excels at speed to one that is more at home in town. It's a leap of faith based on a few test rides, anecdotes from this forum and a keen interest.

I wonder how long it will take to happen though. I think Jason said the bikes are due to be delivered next week. The news about the subsidy throws a curve ball into the equation. I think we'll be lucky if anything happens before Christmas now.  Timing is everything so I hope all the variables don't change too much in the next few weeks or so.

The decision is made, so now it should just be a matter of time.  I'm hoping that me riding around London on a Zero will attract a few more to this forum. We could do with another Harlan over here too!

buutvrij for life

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 05:31:57 PM »

hi Bonkers!

Congrats with your decision! I've owned a VFR1200(non-DCT) prior to my '15 DS for two years and it's a great bike, for touring. Having two little girls myself, i've found touring impossible nowadays... too bad. For the future however...

I've found the VFR quite thirsty, and not fun to drive around city speeds (but DCT will mask that i guess)
It's a relatively heavy bike at slow speeds and i'm not that tall. Maybe it's the combination. The VFRfun started when leaving the city. I don't know how many time you will spend in London traffic, but during that time, the Zero is a better option, by far. Light, quick, small, nimble compared to the VFR. The Zero downside is the lack of wind protection at highway speeds. Fit & finish of the Zero are good, but not Honda-good.

I drive my DS Holland-style, which means lots of rain and lots of wind for the last 4 weeks. No problemo at all.
The big compromises you are talking about are not so big. I did not ran into them once. Considering the time you've spend here on the forum, you know what you are buying.

The VFR is fantastic, but i love my DS. And i love the fact that i'v become less dependent from oil-based idiots. But that's personal.

Commuter greetings from the Amsterdam area. And show us a DSP picture please!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 05:35:39 PM by buutvrij for life »
pre-owned: Suzuki Intruder, Suzuki GSX-R750, Honda Fireblade '05, Honda Fireblade '09, Honda VFR1200F, Honda Fury 1300 CXA, Govecs Go! 1.2S, Zero DS 12.5, Honda NC750 X DCT, now Triumph Bonneville T120

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 11:05:52 PM »

Hi buutvrij, thanks for sharing your experience. I have also come to the conclusion that the VFR doesn't like going slow. Even with DCT it feels a bit clunky around town. There's a fair bit of driveline slack and it rattles around at filtering speeds. I can live with that. Fuel economy really drops off in the city though. The radiator fan often comes on just as I come to a stop and seems to be on about 50% of the time in slow traffic.

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 03:02:25 AM »

You are a Sr Member here with 295 posts! It's about time you got a Zero! lol  Seriously tho, good job!
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 03:25:15 AM »

Another VFR / Zero owner checking in. They both have their place. The Zero wins the butt-ballot nine times out of ten.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 04:08:27 AM »

Congratulations MostlyBonkers, it seems that it is impossible to get over 300 posts here without accidentally buying an electric bike.

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2015, 04:13:13 AM »

I will be having to fly over for a Zero meetup at this rate.  UK Zero massif represent.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2015, 05:44:49 AM »

Thanks for pointing out my posting status on the forum Terry. I also love the idea of 'accidentally' buying a Zero Erasmo.

I was saying to the guys on the Zero stand on Wednesday that it felt like it was time for me to shit or get off the pot. If you'll excuse the rather crude expression...

The very next day I learnt about the Police bike becoming available and I just had to jump at the opportunity. It must be fate!

This is in no small part down to all the effort that has gone into Zero coming back to the UK, the support Streetbike have given and of course everyone on this forum. Thank you all - it has been quite a ride getting to this point!

It would be great to organise a Zero owners/enthusiasts get-together in the UK at some point. Perhaps in the spring or summer?

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2015, 10:14:20 AM »

That reminds me I was going to ask you how many miles were on those Police bikes?  I was wondering if they really used them of just got them for publicity.  I guess yours came with the crash bars and grip guards.  Congrats mate enjoy.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2015, 01:52:50 PM »

Thanks. They're brand new. No miles. I don't know the full story but I think it was an order that didn't get fulfilled. Or perhaps they didn't sell as many as anticipated. Or they made some extras in case orders came from other police forces. If I get the chance, I'll find out.

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2015, 09:41:31 PM »

14 police bikes were new from a police agency that wasn't able to complete the final part of their funding

Does your 14ds have crash bars?
Hard guards?
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's
Pages: [1] 2 3