• April 27, 2024, 04:34:03 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Luggage rack, for 2012 DS?  (Read 950 times)

JustPassinThru

• View Profile
Luggage rack, for 2012 DS?
« on: December 04, 2015, 04:26:54 PM »

Suggestions, who, how, where?

I guess some of the trim for Zeros of this era were batch-produced - with variations from initial prototypes.

The rear fender on mine is a good example.  It's fiberglass or fiberboard - obviously intended for the bike, with molded seatings for the taillight; but it's just a fiberglass-like material.  Looks to be screwed onto the body under the seat somewhere.

Now.  My riding habits are, there's always gear.  Food, water; coat.  On a fancy bike I'll have a tailbag.  On  a utilitarian ride I'll bolt a milk crate on the back.  Often times it's easy on the fender; on my last bike I had a luggage rack.  Bolted right on; there were even pre-drilled holes.

I don't see a firm place to bolt or strap such a carton or even a soft tailbag.  There is that SHORT extension beyond the saddle; covered with sculpted plastic...I'm not sure what's under it.

A regular luggage rack would work better.  Anyone make one; or is there a generic one that can be modded to work on this Zero?

iJustride

• View Profile
Re: Luggage rack, for 2012 DS?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 12:33:05 AM »

I've heard that you can use the hard rack intended for the 2013 if you trim some of the plastic on the tail.

evdjerome

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 06:34:08 AM »

My 2012 DS has a Givi Wingrack 2. It had it when I bought it used.

Some pictures here posted by the original owner:
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/going-electric-2012-zero-ds-long-term-rider-report.869280/page-6

Suggestions, who, how, where?

I guess some of the trim for Zeros of this era were batch-produced - with variations from initial prototypes.

The rear fender on mine is a good example.  It's fiberglass or fiberboard - obviously intended for the bike, with molded seatings for the taillight; but it's just a fiberglass-like material.  Looks to be screwed onto the body under the seat somewhere.

Now.  My riding habits are, there's always gear.  Food, water; coat.  On a fancy bike I'll have a tailbag.  On  a utilitarian ride I'll bolt a milk crate on the back.  Often times it's easy on the fender; on my last bike I had a luggage rack.  Bolted right on; there were even pre-drilled holes.

I don't see a firm place to bolt or strap such a carton or even a soft tailbag.  There is that SHORT extension beyond the saddle; covered with sculpted plastic...I'm not sure what's under it.

A regular luggage rack would work better.  Anyone make one; or is there a generic one that can be modded to work on this Zero?
2015 Zero DS 14.4 (originally 12.5)
2012 Zero DS 9 (sold)

JustPassinThru

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 10:15:02 PM »

Good pics and an encouraging writeup.

Thanks.

JustPassinThru

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 11:06:41 AM »

I have solved the problem with...of course...crap I already have.

A tailbag which was too small for practical use - until I found it fit perfectly on the DS.

Wal-Mart cheapo saddlebags, which were a no-go - until I had a non-chain, non-oil machine which didn't care if the bags tipped in a little.

Life is good.  I've got 150 miles on the Zero and so far I'm pleased.
Pages: [1]