• April 24, 2024, 06:09:40 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 2016 Zero SR, Application Woes  (Read 1595 times)

Eolas

• View Profile
2016 Zero SR, Application Woes
« on: November 29, 2015, 10:31:07 PM »

Picked up my 2016 SR from HollywoodElectrics yesterday, Carl was awesome and the bike was so much fun to ride home!  Planning on taking it out for fun today, and using it for my commute starting tomorrow!

My only unfun came with the app on the iPhone.  Connecting the phone to the bike via Bluetooth worked fine, the phone says "connected" in the Bluetooth settings... but when I open the Zero app, it connects for a moment or two, then it says "connection closed by application" and tells me to reset the Bluetooth connection.  After several rounds of this (including forgetting the bike on Bluetooth and starting the whole process over), I've given up... I called Zero's customer support (who of course aren't open right now) and left a message, but figured I'd ask here too... anyone know how to get the app to behave itself?  Even in the moments when it worked, it said the bike was a 2013 SR, so I'm concerned it just doesn't play well with the new bike.

Thanks much in advance for any help!!!

Erasmo

• View Profile
Re: 2016 Zero SR, Application Woes
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 10:47:29 PM »

My educated guess is that the app needs updating to handle the new bikes.

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 12:53:04 AM »

The app is old and buggy, it needs updating.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 09:22:36 AM »

The app always says 2013, I just ignore that part. It still works for me. But I have an android phone.
you have the key on or have it charging?
The bike is in custom mode?
Your are right next to the bike?
It works for me if you can answer yes to the above 3 things on a 2015 SR.
Also the app says "eco" mode but you use it to customise "custom" mode.
So yes the app needs updating and it is buggy, some cost settings don't work.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 09:26:08 AM by grmarks »

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 01:49:24 PM »

There has been a few users requesting the API/ software be open sourced so we could update and add features.

zero is sadly lacking in keeping this software up to date.

Eolas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 08:47:29 PM »

Thanks for the replies, all... yeah, I found that if I'm close to the bike and it's "on", the app connects... while charging, the phone makes the Bluetooth connection but the app barfs.

My other bit of fun with the new bike was this morning... it was "California cold" when I went out this morning to ride to work (mid-30s), I turned the bike on and the display didn't turn on (it lit up, but no numbers).  First five miles or so of the ride, I just had to wing it... it eventually turned on so I knew my speed for the rest of the trip. :)

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 10:05:47 AM »

I had a few startup issues with my 2015 SR so I took it back to the dealer when I went on holidays (wanted it all fixed when I got back). they only tinkered with software setting, they told me, but it made a difference. It had done 700km when I took it back, now it has done 4,000km. I have only had one "funny" thing happen yesterday. I turned it on and tried to ride away too quick (the contactor had not latched). Then it would not go, so I turned it off and on again, waited to hear the "click" of the contactor and all was ok.
I had my display go crazy with everything flashing one time, and my SOC was jumping back up to 100% after each time I turned it off. If it was 96% it would jump to 100% then ride for awhile and it would go to 86%. Turn it off to park it, come back and it would be 100% again.
This was fixed with software tinkering. Now it only jumps back to 100% if  it is 98%. It might do that twice at most if it is close to 100% (98%). If it goes down to 96% it won't jump back.       

Eolas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 09:24:32 PM »

It did the same thing for the ride home on Monday, so it wasn't the cold... took it back to Hollywood Electrics Tuesday after work, they determined that connecters and fuses and such were all fine and have ordered a new dash.

Tuesday, yesterday and today though, the display's been working fine... so whatever it is, hopefully it'll stay "fixed" until the part comes, otherwise I just have to guess how fast I'm going. :)

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 09:29:40 PM »

You can always use a speedo app.

Eolas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 10:32:11 PM »

You can always use a speedo app.

True, but it's not that bad, the upside of LA is there's always traffic, so I can just go as fast as everyone else and it'll be fine. :)

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 04:35:42 AM »

Zero has updated the android Zero app now includes 2015 and 2016 models. Apple update should be due soon too.
Updated on Feb 29, expect only updates on leap years. LOL

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 05:13:03 AM »

Yes picked up my android phone this morning and the zero app was updated, went in and had a look, my 2015 SR is an "unknown bike" blar. Nothing much has changed, they just made the top speed in custom mode go to 164 km/h instead of 159, and made the calc work with saving over gas (petrol). It displays a result now, but its wrong!. Where you enter the cost per litre you need to multiply it by the number of litres per 100km to give some sort of sensible result. I.e if you use 11 litres/100 km and the cost for petrol is $1.30 then you put in 1.3 X 11 = 14.3 I also entered cost per kw/h as .2 (for 20 cents) but my cost per km is out by a factor of 10.

Haven't checked if it is correct but at least its in the ball park on money saved.

LeftieBiker

• 42 Years of Motorcycling - 13 years with EVs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 11:19:37 AM »

So the app will auto-update when the phone has internet access again? I haven't turned mine on in a few days - that phone is for my car (Leaf) and bike only.
EV Ownership:

2001 Oxygen Lepton
2008 X-Treme XM-3000
2011 ZEV 5000LA
2015 Zero SR
Too many electric bicycles to list, mostly EZIP

ctrlburn

• 79_HD_Sportster 2013_Zero_S 2020_HD_LiveWire
    • View Profile
    • Charging Cycles
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2016, 06:43:31 PM »

The application should auto-update... if that is what you have your phone set up to do.

Mine is set to manual updates. It wouldn't load last night, but did just fine this morning.

My 2013 said "unknown bike" for several seconds after connecting - then it populated with an image of the bike (yellow).

Now the picture of the bike appears to change with the identified model - in DEMO mode it was an FX.
Also the image goes to Black & White when not connected.

Money saved vs gas is calculating.

In the past I've had to key the bike ON to connect - today I connected right away while the bike was keyed to LOCK.

In the past the application had a "predisposition" to DEMO mode. It seems now to be more likely to be "Not Connected" when out of range.

Side note - I emailed Zero about these issues, and should have been associated in their issue tracking system... and no email.

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2016, 07:14:19 PM »

Please email or leave feedback comments in play store / app store , more feed back the more chance of updates, zero were quick in the past to update bugs.
Pages: [1]