• April 27, 2024, 01:47:26 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Saddlebags and other storage  (Read 2026 times)

GambitDash

• View Profile
Saddlebags and other storage
« on: November 20, 2015, 06:17:19 AM »

Hi folks -

Looking at getting some rear or side carrying capacity for my 15SR in the slightly rainy but often damp climate of Seattle. No particularly dramatic storage requirements but I have a serious arty of pants and jacket and it would be nice to be able to safely leave them at the bike sometimes.

I would also like to be able to detach the whole rear bag and walk away with it.

Do I have to buy the ones from Zero, or are there better options? Can I install those myself?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Saddlebags and other storage
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 08:11:51 AM »

Only Zero makes racks that fit their frame, unless you know a welder.

You can skip the OEM cases, but Givi's options for sidecase replacement are the E21/E22 or the E41 which is pretty wide and limits what spaces the Zero will fit through. There are older case models that will fit if you can find them used.

You can also use adapter plates that Twisted Throttle sells, and use TraX luggage or the Aero cases which I have from my V-Strom, or Hepco Becker etc. I'm waiting on my plates (which are still in Seattle waiting on a friend to send them, ironically) to install the Aeros, because I like the design and they're reasonably well sized yet aerodynamic.

I've ridden my Zero DS through two Seattle winters and the E21's worked for me. I did use an anti-rust coating near the mounting bolts for the racks, though, because water collects there. FYI.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

GambitDash

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 03:51:05 AM »

What's the term for the bag that sits on top? Am very conscious of increasing my width (har har) and think that I would rather go up, then out.

So that means I would need to get the Zero plate, which would work with... just the oem bags, unless I get those adapter plates?

Any recommendations for a good detachable top case, then?  I will take a look at trax and aero.

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 04:16:13 AM »

I've been happy with the E460 (needs adapter plate).  Lots of room and no extra width.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 05:19:35 AM »

What's the term for the bag that sits on top? Am very conscious of increasing my width (har har) and think that I would rather go up, then out.

A top case; why do people always say "bag"? I didn't mention top cases because you didn't (I assumed you weren't interested or had solved it already), but a top case is the best kind of storage if you want a narrow profile, waterproofing, and a lot of volume. I've gone on airline trips for several days with a bag that fills a top case. A large enough top case is like having a car trunk on your bike.

So that means I would need to get the Zero plate, which would work with... just the oem bags, unless I get those adapter plates?

Any recommendations for a good detachable top case, then?  I will take a look at trax and aero.

Er, TraX and Aero were sidecase recommendations, not top cases. TraX does make a boxy top-case, but it's overkill and not very useful (doesn't fit a helmet well).

Zero sells their top case mount separately from the cases: http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_7&products_id=187

This was not available in 2013 when I first put luggage on my bike. Honestly, I think I got the first non-fleet sales of luggage... Anyway, with that plate, you put a case adapter plate on it for Givi Monolock (scooter-oriented cases) or Monokey (generally larger cases, uses an E251), or another plate type for another vendor.

Honestly, there's a lot of choices for top cases (Shad, Kappa, Hepco Becker, ...), because they all just sit on a plate with a locking mechanism. So, it's a matter of taste, capacity, and price.

Even if you don't get a case, just install the top plate and strap a waterproof bag to it using tie downs like Rok straps. Some people just bolt plastic crates to them and shove their stuff in there.

Ndm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 05:33:17 AM »

If you're looking for bags I have the zero soft luggage set for sale,  if it's hard cases like the givi you want I suggest the zero rack system and you can buy whatever size top and side cases you want , I have two of both top and side givi I use and swap out for whatever the instance calls for (eg. 30L case for work commutes and 42L for trips or when I need to store my riding gear on the bike)  plus I've drilled an extra hole for a bolt in both cases so they can't be prayed off and use a thumb screw for speedy removal
2013 zero S  ZF13.0 , 2017 chevy bolt, 2008 IGO Titan bike

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 06:16:47 AM »

I'll add one usability benefit to having a top case, particularly if it has a backrest: your passenger will feel less nervous about you cranking up the torque having something to keep them from falling off!

manitou

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 10:52:11 AM »

Are the givi Trekker series not at inlet with our bikes/racks for some reason?

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 04:17:53 PM »

I have the SW-MOTECH TraX side cases from Twisted Throttle on my 2014 SR. I have my 2500 watt Elcons mounted in 37 liter cases. With the quick release they are easy to put on and take off. I also have a set of the 45 liter cases for grocery runs, trips to Lowe's and such.

GambitDash

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 12:23:11 PM »

I need to figure out why I'm not getting any notifications on this thread...

Regardless, thanks for the input everyone.  More specific requirements: I'd like something that's small, hi viz, and a top case (so it doesn't add to my width at all).   I'm not sure if I'd be able to store a helmet *and* my jacket *and* my pants in anything reasonably sized, so I've been looking at something like the V45/46 (not sure what the difference is!).  Givi seems to be all that Revzilla stocks, unless I'm just using their site wrong.

So the V45+E251 seems moderately reasonable, considering I haven't seen 'em in person yet. I know the side cases easily unmount - do the top cases detach as easily as well?  Any other brands I really should be looking at?

PhreaK

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 12:43:11 PM »

To throw another option out there... consider a backpack. Plenty of functionality and comes with the added bonus of not making your bike look like crap and lets you still split traffic.

I've been using a Mission Workshop Arkiv for the past few years which I swear I could take scuba diving with and it'd keep the inside dry. Most cycling backbacks will be similar though - super comfy, crazy waterproof and modular so that can expand / contract to your needs. Thinking of nabbing a can of the Life Paint / Albedo100 to coat it in for when the days start getting a little shorter here a well.
2014 Zero SR

ChainGun

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 09:02:38 PM »

To throw another option out there... consider a backpack. Plenty of functionality and comes with the added bonus of not making your bike look like crap and lets you still split traffic.

I've been using a Mission Workshop Arkiv for the past few years which I swear I could take scuba diving with and it'd keep the inside dry. Most cycling backbacks will be similar though - super comfy, crazy waterproof and modular so that can expand / contract to your needs. Thinking of nabbing a can of the Life Paint / Albedo100 to coat it in for when the days start getting a little shorter here a well.

This. After riding 10 years with a top case on my trusty Suzuki DL-650 Vstrom, I couldn't bring myself to "uglify" another bike so I bought a Ogio Mach 5 backpack. It's less practical than a top case, but way way cooler. It's also keeps stuff dry and it fits a helmet if you really need it to.

GambitDash

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 10:16:36 PM »

This. After riding 10 years with a top case on my trusty Suzuki DL-650 Vstrom, I couldn't bring myself to "uglify" another bike so I bought a Ogio Mach 5 backpack. It's less practical than a top case, but way way cooler. It's also keeps stuff dry and it fits a helmet if you really need it to.
*wince*

Actually, I do have a backpack - an icon squad 3 which I like but am not yet convinced about it's waterproofing -  but need to be able to take groceries occasionally and other clothes.

Testpilot1

• Testpilot1 / Charlie Boorman '' Long Way Down ''
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2016, 04:11:56 AM »

Saw this and thought of this thread :-)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 04:21:33 AM by Testpilot1 »

sendler

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2016, 03:43:55 PM »

I use a diy plank syle luggage solution in a couple different sizes for all of my bikes since it is the most aero and I'm cheap. Bolts to the seat and actually improves energy consumption slightly.

Pages: [1] 2