• April 25, 2024, 07:54:05 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dumb Question About Using the App to Set Custom Mode Parameters . . .  (Read 982 times)

kcoplan

• View Profile

Getting to know my new 2014 'S (after trading in my totaled '12 S)  . . .
I'd like to set the custom mode parameters with the App, but cant figure out how.
In the app, on the settings page, the only mode that shows up is Eco, and you cant seem to toggle to the other modes.
So . . . how do I set the parameters for the Custom mode?  Or are the parameters in the App that are labeled "Eco" really the Custom mode parameters?

Am I missing something here  . . . ?  ???
--Karl

pacificcricket

• View Profile
Re: Dumb Question About Using the App to Set Custom Mode Parameters . . .
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 03:53:26 AM »

Yeah, Eco mode is really Custom. Simple way to test - set the max speed as low as possible, and see if you can go faster than that while in Custom mode :) There seems to be a bug there too, at least on my bike, max speed limit doesn't kick in right after I switch to Custom mode and start accelerating. Instead I have to accelerate, decelerate, and on the second acceleration attempt it stays at that speed.

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 04:09:55 AM »

On my bike if I want to switch modes I throttle off completely, switch modes, then throttle on. Works every time. 2013 S 11.4
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 04:23:33 AM »

Yes, the effect of mode switching is delayed by design until the throttle returns to neutral.

The reason is pretty clear: you never want a surprising change in torque. With the throttle in neutral, the only thing the mode immediately changes is the regen setting. Imagine if the mode switched while the throttle was twisted to its maximum setting; the jerk alone (Eco to Sport, say) would be unsafe.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

pacificcricket

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 04:26:38 AM »

Ah, yeah, that makes sense.

kcoplan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 04:34:53 AM »

thanks for the quick responses -- and the information about the delay in mode switching.  It makes sense.

--Karl

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 02:34:05 PM »

It's all stated in the manual, you can download it from zero.

kcoplan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 04:24:39 AM »

Yeah RTFM . . . but I looked at the "FM" first . . . didn't say anything about how you are supposed to set the "custom mode" with the App displaying "Eco" mode.

--Karl

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 04:47:46 AM »

Yeah RTFM . . . but I looked at the "FM" first . . . didn't say anything about how you are supposed to set the "custom mode" with the App displaying "Eco" mode.

--Karl

The "eco" mode on the app is actually the "custom" mode.  The app needs updating from when it was first introduced on the 2013 Zero models.  The "eco" mode on the 2014 models is fixed and can not be adjusted.  Just pretend that "eco" says "custom" when using the app.   ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

kcoplan

• View Profile
The App must have updated, or something
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 09:50:45 PM »

Now the app says "Custom"  . . . either it updated, or maybe when it talked to the bike the bike told it to call the customizable mode "custom."  Go figure.  ???

--Karl

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2015, 04:18:04 AM »

Now the app says "Custom"  . . . either it updated, or maybe when it talked to the bike the bike told it to call the customizable mode "custom."  Go figure.  ???

--Karl
I had the same thing on my 2014 S....at first the app said eco but it was adjusting the custom mode on the bike. Then it suddenly started saying custom in the app like its supposed to. I thought it was fixed in an app update but now I'm wondering if it wasn't something else.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

2014 Zero S

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2015, 05:57:50 AM »

I think all of the settings should be able to be set on the bike not only by an app.  The app would be fine for diagnostics and logs sent to Zero but the regen and speed and torque should be on the bike.  I know I'm and old fart who tells kids to get off his lawn but the thing only worked for me a couple times then it wouldn't link up.  Plus why would you want to run down your phone battery to watch the same speed info as your dash? 

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2015, 09:35:29 AM »

I think all of the settings should be able to be set on the bike not only by an app.  The app would be fine for diagnostics and logs sent to Zero but the regen and speed and torque should be on the bike.  I know I'm and old fart who tells kids to get off his lawn but the thing only worked for me a couple times then it wouldn't link up.  Plus why would you want to run down your phone battery to watch the same speed info as your dash?

I have been having trouble to get mine to connect too....need to take it to the dealer but just haven't had time since they aren't that close.  I'm assuming something needs to be replaced...I hope it doesn't end up being too much trouble trying to get it fixed.  :(
2014 Zero S
Pages: [1]