• April 25, 2024, 03:20:03 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Hitch mount bike carrier?  (Read 947 times)

manitou

• View Profile
Hitch mount bike carrier?
« on: November 17, 2015, 03:37:36 AM »

I have a harbor frieght and tool hitch mount bike carrier. It was "cheap" and served its purpose for the old crappy bike. Now that I have the new hotness, I don't want to scratch it. Does anyone recommend a particular brand mounting strap and or hitch mount carrier? 
Thanks!

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
Re: Hitch mount bike carrier?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 06:49:33 AM »

I have a harbor frieght and tool hitch mount bike carrier. It was "cheap" and served its purpose for the old crappy bike. Now that I have the new hotness, I don't want to scratch it. Does anyone recommend a particular brand mounting strap and or hitch mount carrier? 
Thanks!
What bike do you have....weight is a big factor in deciding which rack is best.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

2014 Zero S

manitou

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 08:44:32 AM »

2013 DS

mrwilsn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 09:29:17 AM »

That bike should be less than 400lbs and you could use an aluminum rack.  I used this one from Rage Powersports that worked well.  I only used it once to haul my 2014 Zero S but it was a 1600 mile trip.  I put soft loops on the bars to connect the ratcheting straps and the straps would rub on the tank.  If I used it again I would remove the tank while transporting.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001IUV1CM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Make sure the tongue capacity on your vehicle can support the bike plus rack.  In this case the aluminum rack weighs only 34lbs and the bike is about 395lbs (without any extras like side cases etc.) so you are at 430lbs.  Most people only pay attention to the tow capacity and don't look at tongue capacity.  For a rack like this all the weight is on the hitch without any relief from an extra set of wheels like you would get with a trailer. On my old vehicle the tow capacity was 1500lbs but the tongue capacity was only 350lbs.  I was technically over at 430lbs.  With the total weight over the tongue capacity, the danger isn't that the hitch is going to break off the back of the vehicle.  The danger is really with wear on the suspension and adverse handling affects from being over loaded.  1600 miles and I didn't have any issues.

You can also go with a steel rack but  those will be about 100lbs which adds to the tongue weight.  A steel rack can hold more....500-600lbs but you don't really need it for your bike which squeaks just under the 400lb limit of the aluminum rack.

No matter what you do you are going to see the bike sway back and forth in the rear view mirror.  It can be a little unsettling.  I checked the straps at every stop and took things easy to compensate.

2014 Zero S

mrwilsn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 09:35:27 AM »

I also wouldn't recommend sending the straps through the frame where the extension cord goes or where the swing arm attaches to the frame.  I cut through two straps going through the swing arm hole....luckily I checked often and was able to get things fixed before bad stuff happened.  The edge isn't sharp but when you ratchet things down tight there isn't any play when going over bumps and the strap gets cut quickly.
2014 Zero S

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 11:25:03 AM »

I went with a cheap one from Ebay with a claimed 500lb weight limit.  I ended up crisscrossing it between the frame hole saddle and swing arm hole 4 total straps of 400lbs a piece. Pretty dorked up but when I was done it did not move.  The only thing for sure that I'll say is do not attach any strap to the throttle.  It is plastic and will break if you try to strap it down.  I crisscrossed the strap hooks over the handle bar bolt plate.  So that the hooks were pulling in toward the center hump of the handle bar (loop straps would probable work better with less chance to scratch).  Last I strapped two 1000lb crisscrossed straps at the outer ends of the rack and onto the tie down brackets of my truck bed.  Do check to see how much tongue weight yours can handle that last set of straps really took a lot of the weight off my hitch.  Don't know if you have a truck or SUV. Best part is I just power it up the ramp and power it off no clutch no problem.  Do the last one at your own risk but worked for me.

valnar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 08:02:27 PM »

Sorry for the necrothread reply, but it's good to keep the topic in one place.

I am looking at hitch mounted motorcycle carriers and there are basically two types.  Those that use ramps and hold the weight on the wheels, and those that do not like the Ultimate MX Hauler. https://www.discountramps.com/ultimate-mx-hauler/p/10-BLK-Carrier/

Does anyone know if that second one would work with a Zero FXS?  I'm not sure how they hold bikes without scratching the frames.
Zero FXS 2020
Pages: [1]