• March 29, 2024, 05:14:15 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Is the ZF2.8 Power Pack Module for FX the same as Power Tank ZF2.8?  (Read 961 times)

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile

Does anybody know if the ZF2.8 Power Pack Modules Zero sells for the FX are the same as the ZF2.8 packs that come with the Power Tank option for an S/SR/DS/DSR?  Are they at the same voltage? Same connectors? Size?

I am wondering if I could buy a ZF3.3 Power Pack Module for the 2016 FX/FXS to use in a Power Tank for a 2016 SR.
2014 Zero S

grmarks

• View Profile
Re: Is the ZF2.8 Power Pack Module for FX the same as Power Tank ZF2.8?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 01:13:07 PM »

The 2016 power tank is listed as 2.8kw not 3.3kw so I would guess that the FX modules are not compatible with the 2016 S/SR/DS/DSR. Why else would they not use the 3.3kw as a power tank?

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 02:05:50 PM »

Old stock inventory and this allows Zero to get rid of old stock and sell 3.3KW or greater power tanks next year.
Powertanks are not very popular due to increase weight up heigh, peolpe prefer faster charging.
Last year S,DS, SR got the larger 27A cell while FX kept 25A, this year FX got the 27A cells.
Zero seems to be like intel using tick / tock development cycles.
Makes sense to concentrate R&D across few models and deplete inventory before expanding model range

I expect once old stock is finished we see 3.3KW powertanks, and also once old stock of PM Motors finished we see all bikes with the new IPM Motors in all bikes.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 07:29:56 PM by firepower »

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 06:52:20 PM »

I am guessing, but a 3.3 power tank would need some program changes on the MBB and/or BMS board/s I would think and that may not have been done (yet).

And you are right Firepower, I didn't get a power tank for that very reason, and bought a "QuiQ" charger instead.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 06:55:16 PM by grmarks »

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 07:34:08 PM »

Firmware should not be too difficult, They learn from the FX what needs changing and update firmware. By time they have new Power Tanks it should be reliable.
Powertanks have not beens an easy install, lot of teething and firmware problems reported in the forums, but should be ok now.
Pages: [1]