• March 29, 2024, 04:22:26 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Charging solution for $2k or less?  (Read 4000 times)

frodus

• View Profile
Re: Charging solution for $2k or less?
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2015, 03:35:50 AM »

Honestly, I think overall a couple of delta-q or Elcon with a j1772 connector and some solid connections on the AC side is going to be pretty easy, durable and weatherproof.
Travis

frodus

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2015, 12:02:09 AM »

That is likely going to be the easiest for you since those chargers are already setup for the Zero. Just need a J1772 adapter and a splitter to go into how-ever many chargers you're using. You could get both of those chargers (if they're for the same model year, just check they're the same).... and a J1772 and charge at 2000W higher than your onboard charger.

Travis

manitou

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2015, 02:59:23 AM »

Wasn't there some change in 2014 that allowed multiple add-on chargers (vs 2013 that only supports 1 additional charger)? 
I haven't found where any additional charger plugs in yet, but I'm sure something is in there.
I watched all those videos where one of you road from jersey to Mexico to Canada.  It's a 2024 SR with dual elcon Chargers and a j1772 adapter.  Got me fired up to tinker, but patience..  Patience.
I'd hate to miss out on a much better solution that's right around the corner (whatever that may be.. Things move fast in this space)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2015, 03:24:05 AM »

Wasn't there some change in 2014 that allowed multiple add-on chargers (vs 2013 that only supports 1 additional charger)? 

There's not an additional plug; they just upgraded the Anderson connector circuit for charging from a 30A fuse/conductors to 100A or so. You should use a splitter cable like Zero's Y adapter if a single charger that you buy doesn't provide the charge rate on its own. A single Elcon 2500 will not exceed the 30A limit.

On any Zero, you can bypass this circuit by using the conductors meant for the controller.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

manitou

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2015, 04:47:55 AM »

The y cable would be for like 2 elcon 2500's right?  In that case I should upgrade the Anderson connection and fuse.. Or what's this about going straight to the controller?  What the Anderson connection for?  Just a disconnect point for off board chargers?
I think it's all starting to make sense now.
Couple more questions though..
1) is there something about a basic j1772 socket that doesn't work on all charge stations?  (Some single that supposed to be there but isn't?)
2) has anyone found a good replacement for the onboard 1300 charger?  Like a 2500+ that takes up the same space and is weather proof.. (Wondering if there's an easy upgrade for now)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2015, 05:18:12 AM »

The y cable would be for like 2 elcon 2500's right?

Yes, but you can't inject 5kW of power from 2 Elcons into that 30A charging circuit. I have blown that fuse using the DigiNow super charger.

In that case I should upgrade the Anderson connection and fuse..

Literally no one has done this to my knowledge. This would be new territory and I would not recommend it.

Or what's this about going straight to the controller?  What the Anderson connection for?  Just a disconnect point for off board chargers?
I think it's all starting to make sense now.

The anderson connector is for offboard charging in an OEM-approved way (notice that they sell offboard chargers; the Elcon solution just happens to fit).

The controller connection is about (as I interpret it, still waiting for the install procedure for the DigiNow super charger which will need this method for 2013) mounting DC cabling to the input side of the controller which of course leads to the battery. Or the output side of the controller so that it's effectively charging through regeneration? Someone who's done this before should speak up to correct any misconceptions about this. Everyone who's done it just says it's simple and leaves out these details. :p I've worked on power electronics over a decade ago, but do not fully understand the dynamics of the Sevcon controllers.

Couple more questions though..
1) is there something about a basic j1772 socket that doesn't work on all charge stations?  (Some single that supposed to be there but isn't?)
2) has anyone found a good replacement for the onboard 1300 charger?  Like a 2500+ that takes up the same space and is weather proof.. (Wondering if there's an easy upgrade for now)

1) If your charger requests less power than the station demands, there should be no problem. But there is a signal for negotiating power capacity which the vehicle should honor so that it doesn't trip the station's circuit protection breakers (say). https://code.google.com/p/open-evse/wiki/J1772Basics

2) The short answer is no. The underbelly charger is pretty compact and would need to dissipate more heat to have higher capacity. Burton's videos cover this.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

manitou

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2015, 10:59:56 PM »

"In that case I should upgrade the Anderson connection and fuse..

Literally no one has done this to my knowledge. This would be new territory and I would not recommend it."

Another one of the times when I over simplify a complicated topic I suppose.  I was thinking it was just the connector, fuse and maybe upgraded cable gauge for a short run.. Mind filling me in on what I'm missing?
Somewhat related, the diginow solution they are brewing up now claims to work on my 13 and injects 7.5 kw of juice into somewhere... are they going straight into the controller?
Thanks.

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2015, 11:20:33 PM »

For the 2013 bikes the diginow charger MUST go through the controller as the stock fuse would blow on the external charging Anderson connector.

This means making sure the bike knows it needs to charge via the white(black stripe) or white(brown stripe) wires leading off the Anderson connector used for charging ... I assume the diginow charger does this though as it was suggested you can remove the stock chargers all together.
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9
Pages: 1 [2]