• April 26, 2024, 04:57:32 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Charging solution for $2k or less?  (Read 4032 times)

manitou

• View Profile
Charging solution for $2k or less?
« on: November 06, 2015, 12:08:07 AM »

So, what's the best I can build for the less than $2k price point (2013 Zero DS 11.4)?  I'm ok with making my own cables and not having official support for that charging solution.  My Bike does have 1 year of warranty left though.. so if I take it in for warranty work, I should be able to remove my custom charging solution.

I'm thinking givi side bags (regardless of charging solutions I want bags.. so I'm not counting this in the $2k).  I don't mind drilling a hole and using grommets for cable passage.  I'm ok with fair weather only (open luggage lids to vent heat).  I'd like a J1772 connection.  I saw a video where someone did this type of solution without the givi containers..  is that still the best way to go?  Due to price I might only get 1 Elcon2500 though.. would be nice to have the other side luggage for my own uses anyway.
thanks all!

(I looked at the soon to be released Diginow fast charging solution, but at $3k.. it's just too much.. I'd rather hit 1500 or less to be honest.. the bike itself is only worth so much these days)

« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 12:14:40 AM by manitou »

manitou

• View Profile
Re: Charging solution for $2k or less?
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 12:13:11 AM »

Ndm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 12:51:38 AM »

You may want to look into thunderstruck motors tsm 2500, it's got everything you need to charge, except the j1772 socket, I think that I would have gone that way if I'd not got such a great deal on the tdk lambda charger, I still may down the road!
2013 zero S  ZF13.0 , 2017 chevy bolt, 2008 IGO Titan bike

manitou

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 06:37:54 AM »

Thanks for the lead, but they shot me down (emailed asking what they had to offer for my bike)

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 07:56:06 AM »

Some people have made their own chargers using Meanwell power supplies. I think those get you the best bang for your buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

manitou

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 09:45:34 AM »

I was just reading Burton's posts.  Seems he's not done with the build yet though.  I saw a video a while back where someone used Elcon2500's, but can't find that video anymore (much less a "how to").  I can follow directions, but making something completely from scratch is too intimidating.
I think I have a chance at making a "quick charger Y adapter" now.  I could probably take a stab at making a J1772 socket to 2 C13.  ugg..
why couldn't Zero just offer a charge tank for 2013/14's?  I'd pay 2k, but that's my limit.  The 3k diginow solution is just more than I want to spend.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 09:56:38 AM »

I was just reading Burton's posts.  Seems he's not done with the build yet though.  I saw a video a while back where someone used Elcon2500's, but can't find that video anymore (much less a "how to").  I can follow directions, but making something completely from scratch is too intimidating.

The irony is that you're replying to the person whose videos you probably watched! (Ben has made a great series of videos about his trip and the preparation. Granted, it's not step-by-step directions...)

I think I have a chance at making a "quick charger Y adapter" now.  I could probably take a stab at making a J1772 socket to 2 C13.  ugg..
why couldn't Zero just offer a charge tank for 2013/14's?  I'd pay 2k, but that's my limit.  The 3k diginow solution is just more than I want to spend.

If you invest in this, just make sure to use good tools for crimping cables in a safe manner, because they'll be channeling up to 100 amps, and a bad connection might melt and cause you to have a very bad time.

Personally, I've been scooping up used elements for most of my Elcon 2500 charging setup to keep costs down. But I also eventually put money down on DigiNow's charger because I like fast charging so much. So, my Elcon might be on the market soon.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 07:56:53 PM »

I also eventually put money down on DigiNow's charger because I like fast charging so much. So, my Elcon might be on the market soon.

I have a feeling there will be many Elcons available soon.  Like shortly after Nov 24th when DigiNow intends to begin shipping it's first batch of Super Chargers.  I know I'll be selling mine when it gets here and I have a chance to try it out.
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2015, 01:20:33 AM »

Some people have made their own chargers using Meanwell power supplies. I think those get you the best bang for your buck.

http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=3987.msg24583#msg24583

Total cost for my setup which can hook up to several common outlets was about $1100ish ... You can push out 52 amps up to 90% SOC with this stack and the stock charger. Amps are less if you want to push higher volts. I have my voltage set to 114 if I recall, but would have to check.

It is very light, very compact, but not weather resistant at all ...
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

manitou

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2015, 02:06:43 AM »

That's a great set up Burton, wish I understood it enough to build my own, but I'd need to ask you a few hours worth of questions. I wrote to someone that does side work like this, but I didn't even understand his questions:
"I am not that familiar with the pack voltage of the zero. The controller may go to 116 but I doubt the pack is that high fully charged, so you'd need to let me know. Also. What AC source are you charging from? J1772? A dryer outlet?

Find out for me:
Pack capacity
Pack voltage

And let me know how fast you want the batteries to charge if fully discharged."

manitou

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2015, 02:08:05 AM »

I literally just got the bike, so I can wait a bit. I'll keep an eye out for someone selling their old system to upgrade to the diginow setup.

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2015, 02:25:55 AM »

That's a great set up Burton, wish I understood it enough to build my own, but I'd need to ask you a few hours worth of questions. I wrote to someone that does side work like this, but I didn't even understand his questions:
"I am not that familiar with the pack voltage of the zero. The controller may go to 116 but I doubt the pack is that high fully charged, so you'd need to let me know. Also. What AC source are you charging from? J1772? A dryer outlet?

Find out for me:
Pack capacity
Pack voltage

And let me know how fast you want the batteries to charge if fully discharged."

Just point that person to the thread I linked ... if they can't figure it out from that then they don't need to be doing this work for you. The batter does indeed charge up to 116v and the capacity varies depending on the bike and the packs overall health as well as things like the weather and if you just ate a burrito or not ... but in general for my bike I am sitting at 10,568watts ...

Typically the system I linked will charge at around 5000watts with the stock charger which means a full charge in 2 hours ... but it isn't that simple because the meanwells would have to be adjusted to a higher voltage toward the end to get the most out of them and most people don't charge up to 100% but rather a number in the low 90% range to protect the battery from damage.

I had plans on making very detailed information on how to build one of these RSP stacks but with Brandon coming out with the emotowerks cobuilt charger it seems the demand for such a limited charging solution might not be there any more.

frodus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2015, 03:16:29 AM »

That person he emailed is me, I'm just not intimate with the zero specs of all the different bikes.... and didn't have a reference on what he wants, what sort of source he has, or how fast he wants to charge...now I do, thanks Burton.

It's like going into a computer parts store and asking how to make his computer faster. There's a lot for questions that need to be answered first.

Still need the answer to what his AC source is, and how fast he wants to charge.

And btw, I just saw this thread. He emailed me personally so I'm kinda starting from the same point I do with all my other Elcon and Delta-q clients.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 03:29:39 AM by frodus »
Travis

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2015, 03:33:32 AM »

That person he emailed is me, and I know plenty about charging and batteries. And btw, I just saw this thread. He emailed me personally so I'm kinda starting from the same point I do with all my other Elcon and Delta-q clients.

Awesome, good to know you are on the forums. To help answer some of your questions :

2013 Zero DS 11.4
I'd like a J1772 connection

The nominal pack for the bike is 10.5kW on average. At 90% you are looking at 114vdc from my experience. At 116v you are 100% and you cannot under any circumstances go over 118 or the bike will hate you for a while lol

J1772 connection should lead for the source voltage, 208-260VAC if I recall. (at least I have seen some 260VAC J1772 from eVgo)

As for how quickly he wants to charge ... I would have to assume as fast as possible for < $2k ;) Beggars can't be choosers there if you are limiting price.

Do you plan on building something from scratch or using something like an RSP stack?

One question I didn't see asked was weather and dust sealing requirements ... though I did see reference to givi side cases and have seen a couple people with givi E21's filled with meanwell RSP2000's ;) 
Pages: [1] 2