• April 25, 2024, 09:16:55 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Streetbike's 2014 DS Police Bikes  (Read 10055 times)

V155

• View Profile
Re: Streetbike's 2014 DS Police Bikes
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2015, 11:22:55 PM »

I tested one of those over here, lousy brakes, lousy suspension.  U end up spending money to upgrade this. For 9000€ I expect to get something better to be honest. If U are on a tight budget & don't care 'bout riding characteristics it might be your once in a lifetime deal...with some issues.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2015, 03:05:49 PM »

I managed a test ride on Worksoptony's 2014S while it was still the demo bike. I honestly can't remember much about the suspension. The rear brake was terrible though. How are you getting on with the bike Tony? Any problems?

Worksoptony

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2015, 12:51:45 AM »

The back brake is pretty ineffective. Fortunately I very rarely use it. It doesn't release properly when used , so I have to finish the journey with the back wheel squeaking.  The suspension isn't the best I've experienced. On the plus side, I have had no running problems and I have ridden through torrential rain and standing water on the road. Thoroughly enjoying the running costs. Overall I'm happy with the bike.

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2015, 02:01:47 AM »

Apparently the fourth one is gone, I imagine Streetbike will probably be trying to get more given how fast they moved.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
Streetbike's 2014 DS Police Bikes
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2015, 02:18:10 AM »

Thanks Tony, good to hear - especially about water resistance from a fellow Brit!

I wouldn't be surprised if the super police bike deal is over now. I've no doubt they've flown off the shelf in continental dealerships too.

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2015, 07:06:09 AM »

The back brake is pretty ineffective. Fortunately I very rarely use it. It doesn't release properly when used , so I have to finish the journey with the back wheel squeaking.  The suspension isn't the best I've experienced. On the plus side, I have had no running problems and I have ridden through torrential rain and standing water on the road. Thoroughly enjoying the running costs. Overall I'm happy with the bike.
I have a 2014 S and I have the same problem with the rear brake.  I never use it but if I do I have to pull the pad away from the brake or it will squeal... Just like you said.  Regen negates the need for a rear brake except for emergencies...but no ABS so gotta watch it to keep from locking up.  Agree about suspension too. I have also had it sitting outside unprotected in heavy rain, I have ridden it in heavy rain and I have gone through deep puddles (but not deep enough for the metal pan under the battery to be submerged... I wouldn't recommend testing the battery box under water, take Zero's word on that one) and I haven't had any issues. I recently stopped being able to connect to Bluetooth and I think I need a new DC-DC but I don't think that has to do with water proofing. Overall I love the bike but I am seriously considering an upgrade to a 2016 SR early next year.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

2014 Zero S

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2015, 01:06:33 PM »

Thanks mrwilsn. You might get a deal on a 2015.

Worksoptony

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2015, 05:41:37 PM »

Personal opinion, but I feel the bikes are a safe ride. The regen is hugely effective at slowing the bike down, perfect for wet riding. I am much more attentive and have sharper anticipation, because I am not relying on super hot breaks to stop me in an instant if I make a wrong judgment. I'd like to look at the SR, but really the S does everything I need. (I wonder what the resale of my S would be?)

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2015, 06:53:29 PM »

Thanks mrwilsn. You might get a deal on a 2015.

When I bought my 2014 S there were 3 main reasons I chose the S instead of the SR.

1. I wanted black and at the time I hadn't considered buying the plastic from an S and putting it on an SR (I didn't realize at the time just how easy and relatively inexpensive it would be).
2. I had to drive 5 hours to the nearest dealer (now there is a dealer only 1.5 hours).  They didn't have any SRs in stock and they did have a black S.  After the test ride I didn't want to wait for an SR to be delivered to the dealer and then have to drive back up there.  Plus I got a deal on the S that was in stock that I wouldn't have gotten if the dealer had factory ordered an SR.
3. I anticipated that I would want to upgrade sooner rather than later due to quick evolution of the technology.  Better to buy the cheaper bike first and then it gives me more reasons to upgrade and I save a little money.  If I had a 2014 SR I don't think I would even be considering an upgrade.

If I decide to pull the trigger on an upgrade it will be because of the new IPM motor in the SR so I would go with a 2016 even though I could certainly get a good deal on a 2015.  I am going to lose some money by upgrading so soon after purchase so I want to at least make it worth my while and upgrade to something I will hopefully be happy with for at least 2 years.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 06:55:04 PM by mrwilsn »
2014 Zero S

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2015, 12:41:24 AM »

Haha mrwilsn, being happy with a bike for two years is ambitious! I'm going to try for that length of time with my DSP when it becomes available. Having owned three bikes this year alone, I'm setting myself up for failure.

Anyhow, some news on the DSP bikes: They were dispatched yesterday. Jason reassures me that the subsidy is coming too. Seeing will be believing on that front but I shall keep faith. If Jason says it's coming that's good enough for me.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2015, 01:51:27 AM »

I was just re-reading this thread and noticed that Worksop was wondering what his bike might be worth as trade in. I reckon I can have a fair stab at that one having talked money with Streetbike recently. Big spoiler alert...

I guesstimate in the region of £5k for part exchange. Maybe 4.5k for a straight sale. However, considering the subsidy, you might get less. You would benefit from money off the new one though.

You might be able to get your hands on a 2015 SR for £9,500 with the subsidy, but I doubt that you'd get much more than 4,500 for your current bike. So the cost to change will be around £5k. I wouldn't bother with the 2016 SR unless you think you'll be running at 85+ down the motorway for any length of time.

As you're happy with your bike and only do 6k a year, I'd be tempted to keep it for another year at least. I think 2017 might bring a new controller, higher revs and thus more power and top speed. I don't know if they can extract more torque from that motor and arguably they don't need to. More power would be good though. It will help with acceleration over 60mph. Fairings or at least a decent screen too.

You might be better off investing in a super charger this year.

Worksoptony

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2015, 03:14:23 AM »

No plans to sell, I was going to run it for a few years, hopefully. My annual mileage is about 10k. Planning to get my money's worth out of it.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2015, 03:16:55 AM »

Fair play. Hopefully I'll follow in your footsteps!

Testpilot1

• Testpilot1 / Charlie Boorman '' Long Way Down ''
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2015, 03:41:28 AM »

I've ordered one of the Police Spec DS's from Streetbike,can anyone recommend a zero insurer,they appear to be very thin on the ground and.............anyone heard any recent news about a OLEV grant or subsidy by Streetike on these.
Appreciate any news  ;)

Worksoptony

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2015, 04:23:45 AM »

I use Bennetts. Purchase via topcashback.co.uk though, it will save you a lot more money.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11