• March 29, 2024, 05:29:44 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Circuit breaker popping with onboard chargers  (Read 3825 times)

Electronpusher

• View Profile
Circuit breaker popping with onboard chargers
« on: November 03, 2015, 07:29:40 AM »

Anyone every have problems with popping the circuit breaker?  My issue is i have a 2015 SR and i just plugged it in and it is popping the circuit bresker  on 3 different circuit breakers a 240 50 amp service, a GFIC 20 AMP dedicated and  20 amp outlet with nothing else running on it.  My thought is the on board chargers have failed.  Any ideas?  Any one with the same problem?

Kocho

• View Profile
Re: Circuit breaker popping with onboard chargers
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 07:58:13 AM »

Or just the plug/cable is bad? At the end of last Winter I picked-up an electric snow blower off the curb where it was left for trash collection. The only thing wrong with it was a shorted plug... $6 at Home Depot later, and it cleaned my driveway ;-)

Not saying that's the case with your bike, but a continuity test if you can get to both ends of the charging cable and plug, might save you weeks at the dealership...
'15 Zero SR

nigezero

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 08:44:43 AM »

Gulp; the first sign of a blown charger is popping breakers. Exactly the same thing happened to me till I worked out the charger had failed. Simplest way to test/confirm is to use an off board charger and see if that works. FWIW (I've said it many times) I reckon every owner needs a spare charger on hand for both increased charging rates and also as back up. I share one with a buddy near by and it saved my bacon while i waited for the stock charger to be replaced.

Electronpusher

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 08:52:23 AM »

I have a off board delta quick charger but used thought the onboard chargers had to powered up as well while using the delta quick.

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 09:34:11 AM »

Is it just me or do the 2015 bikes tend to blow chargers more than the 2013?

With the 2013 if you have issues you can just rewire it to bypass the bad set one and still charge at 500w in an emergency ;) 
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 09:44:15 AM »

With the 2013 if you have issues you can just rewire it to bypass the bad set one and still charge at 500w in an emergency ;) 

Could you spell that out a bit more? Maybe extend your wiring diagram to explain the charger structure...
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 02:28:58 PM »

Agree. If you have the time to create a simple how-to that might be a lifesaver for somebody who is desperately trying to charge their motor.

Ndm

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 05:42:38 PM »

Simply put, the 2013 has four mean well hlg320h-54a power supplies (320watts each at 58v) and they run them 2 series 2 parallel , in the event of a single supply failure you can isolate the pair and still run two others for 600watts +/-
2013 zero S  ZF13.0 , 2017 chevy bolt, 2008 IGO Titan bike

gborgan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 02:58:16 AM »

Does your charger work if plugged into a different circuit? Does anything else work in those circuits, such as a light or electric fan, or?

In my experience I have blown two onboard chargers on 2015 SR in 4 weeks. The first quit the first night home and the second 27 cycles later.  This bike was a demonstrator with 230 miles at purchase. The APP logged 25 cycles.  I haven't figured out yet if a 'cycle' is recorded when it reaches 100% or just any time it's plugged in. The first 25 covered 230 miles, the next 27 cycles covered 1,200 miles. The 2nd charger burned out after about 10 minutes of charging following a 30 mile ride.  No problems in the house service box as the outlet was still live. Fortunately I have a dealer 15 miles away.
I don't wish to offer opinions, complaints or suggestions this early in the game other than of course it is "disappointing."

As most of you know, Zero advertises heavily on social media. The comments following one of their posts are often amusing, usually ignorant, but occasionally right on.  One owner's advice was, "don't buy one of these unless you have local service...they are great when they work but could be a nightmare if you can't get authorized support locally."   I think this applies to any expensive and complex product, but especially one like a Zero Electric since no one outside the 'network' really knows how they work or how to fix them.

Fivespeed302

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2015, 05:31:20 PM »

Anyone every have problems with popping the circuit breaker?  My issue is i have a 2015 SR and i just plugged it in and it is popping the circuit bresker  on 3 different circuit breakers a 240 50 amp service, a GFIC 20 AMP dedicated and  20 amp outlet with nothing else running on it.  My thought is the on board chargers have failed.  Any ideas?  Any one with the same problem?

I also own a 2015 Zero SR.  I am on my fourth charger.  The first charger that went bad popped breakers.  The second and third wouldn't do a complete charge (stopping at 89% or whatever) and then just stopped working. The dealer stated that this last charger has been completely redesigned.  I believe him because this latest charger has been flawless, charges to 100% each and every time.
2015 Zero SR
2009 Yamaha R1

Electronpusher

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2015, 02:14:54 AM »

Thanks for the replys i was hoping it was soething like that not a bigger problem.  DoesAnyone know if there are still 4 seperate chargers on the bike or did they upgrade to one charger?

Ndm

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2015, 06:26:11 AM »

I believe after the 2013 model the Chargers were switched to green watt power evC-116-1200, not sure if the 2015 got the same
2013 zero S  ZF13.0 , 2017 chevy bolt, 2008 IGO Titan bike

Fivespeed302

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2015, 11:10:24 AM »

Thanks for the replys i was hoping it was soething like that not a bigger problem.  DoesAnyone know if there are still 4 seperate chargers on the bike or did they upgrade to one charger?

Since it was all under warranty, I didn't bother to ask many questions.  I just know I was told that it was a new design.
2015 Zero SR
2009 Yamaha R1

Electronpusher

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2015, 10:01:41 AM »

Dealer confirmed it was a blown charger they are replacing it sometime within the week.  They also confirmed that there is one central charger on this bike in lieu of 4 seperate ones.

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2015, 01:23:51 PM »

I'm glad I saw this thread.

I just got a 2015 SR Demo it has ~300 miles on it after 4 commutes and some rides. 

There are 2 outlets in my garage that are 120V 15A and I have been alternating back and forth between them after the breaker popping on one, and the GFCI popping on the other one. 

Last night I thing the breaker popped and I ended up riding to work with only a ~85% charge, which is not a problem since I only need ~40% to get to and from work, but it made me think.

What off board chargers are recommended?  Cost?

I have a 99MPG "grid charger" for my Honda Insight, but I think its max current is 1 amp.  Its really just for maintenance balance charging a 16 year old hybrid, but it is programmable. 
Pages: [1] 2 3