• April 25, 2024, 08:27:03 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dropped my Zero DS again... couple of questions  (Read 3189 times)

pacificcricket

• View Profile
Dropped my Zero DS again... couple of questions
« on: October 31, 2015, 09:28:12 AM »

Hey everyone!

Purchased a Zero DS 2014 slightly over a year ago. Over 12 thousand miles on the ODO, all in the Pacific Northwest.
This week I had my second solo accident on the bike, pretty much the same as the first one in February this year :
front wheel locked during a slow right turn on a rainy day, and I fell to the right side. Minor scratches to the bike
the first time, this time I slightly bent the mirror and severely bent the brake lever. Brake lever broke when I tried to
straighten it.

The big question now is what to do about the crash bars. I've been searching for them pretty much since the beginning
of the year, and there is still nothing on Zero's or any other aftermarket manufacturer website. I've contacted Zero
about it, and they said "sorry, can't help", even though they make crash bars for the police version of DS.

Second problem is where to find the brake lever that would fit. Master cylinder says Nissin on the side, and brake
lever has 03D stamped on it, but Google search doesn't return any images of similar levers.

Any ideas ?

P.S. As much as I love my Zero, support from Zero is non-existent. We can't get their accessories or parts without a hustle,
can't find anything aftermarket either. Not something you'd expect paying that kind of money for a bike. [/rant]

rayivers

• electric feels so right
    • View Profile
Re: Dropped my Zero DS again... couple of questions
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 06:14:33 PM »

This one fit my '14 FX, which I believe has the same Nissin MC as yours:

Emgo 30-64881 lever

It's too bad Zero can't just sell you the DS crash bars and let you work out the mounting brackets yourself, if that's a issue.

Any thoughts on what caused the crashes?  Wet turns must be second nature to you, living in the PNW.

Ray
'14 Zero FX 5.7 (now 2.8, MX), '14 Zero FX 2.8 (street), '19 Alta MXR, '18 Alta MXR, various '74 - '08 ICE dirt bikes

Ranga

• 2015 Zero FX 5.7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 07:45:19 PM »

I was able to buy the crashbar for an FX through my dealer. These are accessory options, I see no reason why they won't allow you to buy a replacement.
2015 Zero FX

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 07:49:43 PM »

A good example where an ABS and traction/stability control would have likely prevented the crash... What tires are you using on the bike? I wonder if top quality street tires would have helped?
'15 Zero SR

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 08:49:30 PM »

pacificcricket

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2015, 11:08:09 PM »

Any thoughts on what caused the crashes?  Wet turns must be second nature to you, living in the PNW.

First time some guy who I thought was waiting for a bus at the corner stepped onto the road like
if he decided to cross, which made me apply too much brakes as I already started the turn. He had headphones
on, it was after dark and he didn't see me at all until I dropped a few fit away. Still not sure if he really was
about to cross (peds had a no walk signal) or was just "dancing" out of boredom.

This time I was negotiating a slow turn from a street that was curving right and had a downward grade. Rain season just started, it was my first ride on the we pavement. End of that street is a T type intersection with a Stop sign, and there was cross traffic. Again, too much brakes, but I have a suspicion my tires are getting worn too.

pacificcricket

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2015, 11:11:02 PM »

A good example where an ABS and traction/stability control would have likely prevented the crash... What tires are you using on the bike? I wonder if top quality street tires would have helped?

Still original DS tires. I am convinced street tires would be much better in these conditions. I rarely take the bike
on trails, so I plan to get street tires as the next replacement.

pacificcricket

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2015, 11:15:57 PM »

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/r-g-racing-aero-style-frame-sliders-for-the-zero-ds-13

Not as good as crash bars but they might help.

Yeah, I found those after more digging last night, also available on Ebay from sellers in UK and Germany. Seems to be rather pricey, but I will consider.

Harlan

• View Profile
    • Hollywood Electrics
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2015, 11:40:56 PM »

We have crash bars for the DS in stock. Give us a ring.

Hollywood Electrics
323-654-8271

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Harlan Flagg
Hollywood Electrics
http://www.hollywoodelectrics.com

pacificcricket

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2015, 11:44:05 PM »

We have crash bars for the DS in stock. Give us a ring.

Hollywood Electrics
323-654-8271

Sweet! Do you have any pictures ? I checked your website, didn't them listed there.

Harlan

• View Profile
    • Hollywood Electrics
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2015, 11:47:41 PM »

They are the same bars that are used on the police bikes.

Harlan Flagg
Hollywood Electrics
http://www.hollywoodelectrics.com

pacificcricket

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2015, 12:33:02 AM »

They are the same bars that are used on the police bikes.

Understood. Called a couple of times within last 30 minutes, and got to voice mail. Will try again later.

teddillard

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2015, 03:20:40 AM »

I'd save the money on crash bars and consider investing in a rider safety course, to be brutally honest.  ;)

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2015, 03:57:44 AM »

I'd save the money on crash bars and consider investing in a rider safety course, to be brutally honest.  ;)

Or just practice slow maneuvers in a parking lot? If you are looking for drills check out the msgroup.org page or ebook (vol 1 has the drills)

I know a lot of people who ride and freak out when it is raining, and most think I am crazy for not only riding in the rain but snow storms as well.

That said if you ride in weather more you get better at it; same goes for slow speed maneuvers.  I never went down on a low speed corner because I locked the front wheel though ... what tires are you using, was it a panic stop, etc? (I only use BT45's since I ride year round and they are sticky in wet weather)

Last time I price checked the Police crash bars they were around $1300 ... I was going to use them to mount my vetter fairing in the past.

All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9
Pages: [1] 2 3